5.3 lifespan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FREEMAN

FREEMAN

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to find out about the lifespan of the 5.3l engine. I am about to purchase a 99 or newer sierra or silverado. I am in love with a 99 sierra stepside extended cab that is dark green, it drives really nice and had the tranny replaced with a rebuilt unit last year, its fully loaded with power leather seats. The only problem I have with it is the high mileage 240,000 kilometers or 150,000 miles. how far can these motors go without any major work like a rebuild. I know that most of the mileage is from highway use so that helps a bit. Here is a link to the truck ad. canadatraderhttp://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=23147374&pgno=1&srt=1

#2 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,228 posts
  • Name:Kyle
  • Drives:2006 Avalanche, 1995 Silverado

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

You should be able to make it to 200,000 miles without any major problems, I wouldn't be too suprised if it made it to 300k. There is someone on these boards who has over 400,000 miles on their truck!

I also know of someone in my area who has about 400,000 miles in their truck as well, but it has a 5.7L 350, not the 5.3L motor.

Edited by thecraft, 17 September 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#3 willfxp

willfxp

Enthusiast

• 317 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

It really depends on how well the previous owner took care of the truck.
My Dream: '01 Silverado Extended Cab Z71

#4 Norseman

Norseman

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,382 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to find out about the lifespan of the 5.3l engine.  I am about to purchase a 99 or newer sierra or silverado.  I am in love with a 99 sierra stepside extended cab that is dark green,  it drives really nice and had the tranny replaced with a rebuilt unit last year,  its fully loaded with power leather seats.  The only problem I have with it is the high mileage  240,000 kilometers or 150,000 miles.  how far can these motors go without any major work like a rebuild.  I know that most of the mileage is from highway use so that helps a bit. Here is a link to the truck ad.  canadatraderhttp://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=23147374&pgno=1&srt=1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a 1999 NBS Chevy Z71 with the 5.3. It has 155 thousand miles on it. Still running strong. This is a great engine it's had very very fue problems. Have the one your looking at checked out real good, but if its anything like the one I have, I'd go for it depending on the price.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :cheers:

Edited by Norseman, 18 September 2006 - 05:52 PM.

PLEASE BUY FROM AN AMERICAN CAR COMPANY FOR THE GOOD OF YOUR COUNTRY AND THE PEOPLE THAT DEPEND ON THEM.

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. -- G. K. Chesterton

"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being"
-- Kahlil Gibran

God Bless Our American Service Men That Do Just That!!

If the Malibu had a Toyota badge the toy-sheeple would hump it in a parking lot.

#5 Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Enthusiast

• 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

" The only problem I have with it is the high mileage 240,000 kilometers or 150,000 miles. how far can these motors go without any major work like a rebuild. I know that most of the mileage is from highway use so that helps a bit. "
============
Up here, in the Great Pacific Northwet, we have a group of individuals called
"independent loggers". These guys cannot afford downtime. they go non-stop.
Met one just the other day at the Parts Store. He was driving a year 2000
Chevy 3/4 ton. Not a straight panel on the body anywhere., all covered with mud.
Big diesel tank and pump in the bed. I asked him what miles he had on the truck.
380,000 miles and never even had the heads off. He said that his company uses
Syn Lube in every thing and they bought it in 55-gallon bulk drums. 10-30 wt.
Oil changes at 5K miles on his truck.

:thumbs:

Edited by Steady Eddie, 21 September 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Steady Eddie
Moderator:
The_P12_Chassis_Group
Yahoo! Groups
Owner:
1999 Newmar 3357
Motorcoach
1998 P12 MD Chevy Chassis
26,000# CGVW Rating
454 L-21 w/Allison

#6 Nappers

Nappers

Enthusiast

• 111 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

We get 265,000 on our tahoes for our Sheriffs dept, with proper maint they can run a long time.

Nappers
A CNN reporter asked a young Maring Sniper: "what do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" He replied "Recoil." - Thank you soldiers!

#7 FREEMAN

FREEMAN

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Sounds good to me, hopefully I can pick this baby up in the next couple of days.
I will be sure to post pics and my plans for it. :cool:

#8 2001 Blue Indigo

2001 Blue Indigo

Enthusiast

• 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

Sounds good to me, hopefully I can pick this baby up in the next couple of days.
I will be sure to post pics and my plans for it. :cheers:

I own a 2001 GMC Sierra 4.3L V6. I just hit 207,773 miles all highway with religous 3000 mile oil changes Mobile One Synthetic and have only changed the Trans fluid once. I would love to run this sucker till the wheels fell off but if I loose a Transmission, Engine or any other major failure, I'm screwed. Truck is worth 2,200 but is worth so much more to me in a working condition.

#9 jro909

jro909

Your Own Personal Jesus

• 4,079 posts
  • Drives:04 1500 Silverado

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

depends how you take care of it, and how the old owner did and how you or the old driver drove or will drive it
RCLB 5.3, 3.42 gears, Z85/82 Bilstein Hds, General AT2 Grabbers

Man fears what he does not understand- Anton LaVey

Old People Drive Slow To Make The Most Of The Time They Have Left

Member of the Red Truck Club

Proud Vortec Owner

#10 UndeadGMC

UndeadGMC

Enthusiast

• 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

My 93 GMC 4.3 V6 has over 390,000 I estimate, maybe pushing 400k. Problem is I replaced the original insturment cluster maybe a year or so ago so I could have a tach, it read 352,465 at that time. I tried to take the odometer out and swp it in the new cluster but being the 1st time I have attempted such a thing I fumbled it up and the got the white lines between the numbers thus killing the odometer. Besides a few sensors (all on top of the engine and easy to get to) the only major thing thats been done is a new water pump and radiator.
It gets new oil and filter every 3-4 thousand miles.
Transmission has been rebuilt at about 320,000.
Once a year or so I check the bolts I can get to within the engine compartment with a torque wrench.
I just replaced the oil pump yesterday then figured out today that it wasnt needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users