5.3 lifespan

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to find out about the lifespan of the 5.3l engine. I am about to purchase a 99 or newer sierra or silverado. I am in love with a 99 sierra stepside extended cab that is dark green, it drives really nice and had the tranny replaced with a rebuilt unit last year, its fully loaded with power leather seats. The only problem I have with it is the high mileage 240,000 kilometers or 150,000 miles. how far can these motors go without any major work like a rebuild. I know that most of the mileage is from highway use so that helps a bit. Here is a link to the truck ad. canadatraderhttp://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=23147374&pgno=1&srt=1

You should be able to make it to 200,000 miles without any major problems, I wouldn't be too suprised if it made it to 300k. There is someone on these boards who has over 400,000 miles on their truck!

I also know of someone in my area who has about 400,000 miles in their truck as well, but it has a 5.7L 350, not the 5.3L motor.

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to find out about the lifespan of the 5.3l engine.  I am about to purchase a 99 or newer sierra or silverado.  I am in love with a 99 sierra stepside extended cab that is dark green,  it drives really nice and had the tranny replaced with a rebuilt unit last year,  its fully loaded with power leather seats.  The only problem I have with it is the high mileage  240,000 kilometers or 150,000 miles.  how far can these motors go without any major work like a rebuild.  I know that most of the mileage is from highway use so that helps a bit. Here is a link to the truck ad.  canadatraderhttp://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=23147374&pgno=1&srt=1

I have a 1999 NBS Chevy Z71 with the 5.3. It has 155 thousand miles on it. Still running strong. This is a great engine it's had very very fue problems. Have the one your looking at checked out real good, but if its anything like the one I have, I'd go for it depending on the price.

:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

" The only problem I have with it is the high mileage 240,000 kilometers or 150,000 miles. how far can these motors go without any major work like a rebuild. I know that most of the mileage is from highway use so that helps a bit. "

============

Up here, in the Great Pacific Northwet, we have a group of individuals called

"independent loggers". These guys cannot afford downtime. they go non-stop.

Met one just the other day at the Parts Store. He was driving a year 2000

Chevy 3/4 ton. Not a straight panel on the body anywhere., all covered with mud.

Big diesel tank and pump in the bed. I asked him what miles he had on the truck.

380,000 miles and never even had the heads off. He said that his company uses

Syn Lube in every thing and they bought it in 55-gallon bulk drums. 10-30 wt.

Oil changes at 5K miles on his truck.

:thumbs:

• 3 years later...
Sounds good to me, hopefully I can pick this baby up in the next couple of days.

I will be sure to post pics and my plans for it. :cheers:

I own a 2001 GMC Sierra 4.3L V6. I just hit 207,773 miles all highway with religous 3000 mile oil changes Mobile One Synthetic and have only changed the Trans fluid once. I would love to run this sucker till the wheels fell off but if I loose a Transmission, Engine or any other major failure, I'm screwed. Truck is worth 2,200 but is worth so much more to me in a working condition.

My 93 GMC 4.3 V6 has over 390,000 I estimate, maybe pushing 400k. Problem is I replaced the original insturment cluster maybe a year or so ago so I could have a tach, it read 352,465 at that time. I tried to take the odometer out and swp it in the new cluster but being the 1st time I have attempted such a thing I fumbled it up and the got the white lines between the numbers thus killing the odometer. Besides a few sensors (all on top of the engine and easy to get to) the only major thing thats been done is a new water pump and radiator.

It gets new oil and filter every 3-4 thousand miles.

Transmission has been rebuilt at about 320,000.

Once a year or so I check the bolts I can get to within the engine compartment with a torque wrench.

I just replaced the oil pump yesterday then figured out today that it wasnt needed.

Archived