2001 Yukon XL Problem

Hi...

Last night when I went to start my 01 Yukon, the engine started for a second and then immediately stalled. I tried several times with the same results. I let it sit overnight and tried again this morning with the same results. Any thoughts?

I did a search on this forum this morning and couldn't find anything directly related. Here are some more specifics...

01 GMC Yukon XL, 8.1L, changed crank sensor about 10,000 miles ago, fuel filter is old and fuel pump is original, 78k miles...

Any help would be appreciated...

Tom

Ok, I just went outside and tried it again. The SECURITY light does not illuminate when the truck stalls, only the battery light. I tried it 5 times and each time the battery light comes on. After I removed the key from the ignition switch, the SECURITY light started to blink. I can't remember if it always did that in the past.

I just checked all the fuses (on the driver side dash and under the hood) and everything checked out ok. Is there actually a fuse under the steering column? The owners manual does not mention and fuses for the security system.

I also connected a gauge to the fuel pump rail and I was getting 20 PSI.

Any other ideas?

Tom

The Security light should flash after the key is removed. When you start it up can you give it gas to keep it running.

If you have 20psi fuel pressure then you might have found where the problem is.

I will need you to due these test

Connect the fuel guage.

turn the key to the on position. write down the psi

then turn key off and back on again write down reading

do this five time

now let the truck sit for 1 min and then check the reading again and write it down

and then recheck in 1 min

do this five time

then post the readings here

The Security light should flash after the key is removed. When you start it up can you give it gas to keep it running.

If you have 20psi fuel pressure then you might have found where the problem is.

I will need you to due these test

Connect the fuel guage.

turn the key to the on position. write down the psi

then turn key off and back on again write down reading

do this five time

now let the truck sit for 1 min and then check the reading again and write it down

and then recheck in 1 min

do this five time 

then post the readings here

Ok, I just checkd the fuel pressure reading again. It turns out my gauge was bad and was squirting fuel everywhere. I replaced the gauge with a spare on I had but it only goes up to 50 psi. It pegs the gauge the soon as I turn the key on. It levels off around 50 psi or so when I shut the key off. I only did this a few times with the same results.

Also, I can't keep the truck running by working the gas pedal.

My first thought was that there was an issue with the security system (as with the last body style trucks.... a friend had the exact same problem with a 98 and it was the wire in the steering column)

This truck does has a remote starter if that helps...

I dont know if snap on will show this.

look for VTD FUEL DISABLE

If it states "active" then you have a pass lock sensor problem

also look for any codes if code P1626 or P1631 then most likely it is with pass lock

Ok, thanks for your help! I had the truck towed home last night so I won't be able to check the computer until after work. I have a version of AutoTap that I am going to put on my laptop. I've had luck with that before...

Thanks again...

Definitely a PasLock problem. If the system thinks there is a secuurity breach, it allows the truck to start and then immediately shuts it off. the 8.1 is drive-by-wire, so no amount of "peadl-pumping" is going to help. The computer controls throttle position.

My bet is the remote start....Passlock requires a chip in the key that must be read by the ignition to start the engine. Most aftermarket systems use a PasLock bypass module. These either disable PasLock electronically, or some sometimes the installer will install another sensor and tape a key to it so the system always senses a key when you hit the remote start. Is the key you are using a "real" key or a non-chip "valet" key? If the latter, you probably have a key under your dashboard. If a real key, then you porobably have a bypass module.

Either way, I'll bet sopmething in the remote start setup went bad and is causing the problem. You can post for more info at www.the12volt.com.

First of all, thanks for everyone taking the time to help me out.

Using an older version of AutoTap on my laptop, I found it had a P1631 code. In other words, passlock forgot the password. I was able to have the vehicle relearn the password by using the 30 minute procedure by attempting to start the truck and then waiting 10 minutes for the SECURITY light to go off. After you do this 3 times, the password is relearned. It worked fine for a few days but happened again this afternoon.

Any thoughts on why it would forget the password? Maybe the remote starter issue?

Thanks again...

Tom

First of all, thanks for everyone taking the time to help me out.

Using an older version of AutoTap on my laptop, I found it had a P1631 code.  In other words, passlock forgot the password.  I was able to have the vehicle relearn the password by using the 30 minute procedure by attempting to start the truck and then waiting 10 minutes for the SECURITY light to go off.  After you do this 3 times, the password is relearned.  It worked fine for a few days but happened again this afternoon. 

Any thoughts on why it would forget the password? Maybe the remote starter issue?

Thanks again...

Tom

It's most likely the ignition lock cylinder, if you have a second key try that first. See if the second key does the same thing.

Archived