GM Fuel Pump Life Expectancy

My truck has now 71.000 miles with the original fuel pump. Recently I just PM-ed with somebody of this forum who has already 270.000 miles on the original fuel pump.

But I also saw other people wrote some bad experiences on other forums and a personal friend of mine has had to have his fuel pump replaced after 80.000 long distance daily commute miles, on his two year old Suburban. He has used only brand name gas, and had the scheduled service done at GM. Otherwise as far as maintenance he is the kind of guy you doubt that he knows his vehicle even has such a "thing" called fuel filter.

I'm trying to find out what I can expect from my fuel pump. I changed my fuel filter @ 40.000 miles (next change is coming up soon and I do all other mainenance just as religiously). I almost always use Shell or Chevron gas.

At what mileage did your first fuel pump go?

Well guys mine just went out at 25,919 miles!

Luckily it went out at work when I was leaving for the day so I was already at the dealership.

I just took home a nice used '05 Z71 Ext.cab for the night!!

I've never had to replace a fuel pump in any of my trucks I had before :gmc:

I hope this one can last until I get a new '07! :cheers:

My first problem was fuel level stopped working at about 60,000 miles when I ran out of fuel on interstate, I pull alot of the time so mileage was always kind of a guess so I carried a 5 gallon can with me so when I ran out I could fill up and get to a station. The pump finally quit at 116,000 miles on a trip when I had filled it up about 75 miles before it died!! I am not sure but my pump whinned all the time from when I got the truck until it died, the new one is quite, and since my pump change the level works now so we will see how long this one last, but my two cents worth on this is that the fuel does not cool or lube the pump but the high pressures they work at now is harder on them than the old mechanical ones. :crackup:

Original electric fuel pump on my 1993 Chevy C1500 finally quit two weeks ago after 226,000 miles. :crackup: I replaced the entire assembly(hanger,pump,sender) with a Carter assembly. The key to long fuel pump life is changing the fuel filter regularly. This particular truck has used every brand of gas out there and I usually ran the tank to almost empty most of the time. If you're gonna change the pump the easiest way to do it(on a pickup anyway) is to take the bed off or just lift it back a couple of feet to access the fuel tank.

Last time I took her down below "E" (low enough to raise the

alarm) while testing the gas mileage (20 mpg) a distinct whining

sound erupted from from an unknown source.

Methinks it was probably the fuel pump under duress. Just

a surmise, nonetheless I lay in the camp that keeping it above

a quarter tank, or at least not taking it down too low is not

a bad idea to promote pump longeviy.

Archived