How to tell a Z71 from others?

How can you tell if a truck is a Z71 or not. If the deacals are gone and the skid plates are removed is there any other way. Will it show up in the VIN number? What else did the Z71 package offer other than shocks and skid plates? More power? different gearing? Thnks

What would you need to do to make a non-Z71 truck a Z71? Besides slapping some stickers on the side of course.

Not worth the effort, it would never be a Z71 anyway.

People put too much in the Z71, its just a few options and a decal. Depending on the year, it is a few more options than others :chevy:

They never had more HP or gearing, it was the same as on the non-Z71 equipped trucks.

What would you need to do to make a non-Z71 truck a Z71? Besides slapping some stickers on the side of course.

People put too much in the Z71, its just a few options and a decal. Depending on the year, it is a few more options than others :D

They never had more HP or gearing, it was the same as on the non-Z71 equipped trucks.

But doesn't the Z71 sticker add HP ? :chevy:

:P

People put too much in the Z71, its just a few options and a decal. Depending on the year, it is a few more options than others :(

But doesn't the Z71 sticker add HP ? :D

yes, but don't tell him that :chevy::D

It's strange, but for some reason a used Z71 brings in a higher resale value than an almost identically equipped 4X4 non-Z truck, although the initial cost on both was virtually identical.

And when you get a 2500 or 3500 truck, you no longer can get the Z71 package.

How can you tell if a truck is a Z71 or not. If the deacals are gone and the skid plates are removed is there any other way. Will it show up in the VIN number? What else did the Z71 package offer other than shocks and skid plates? More power? different gearing? Thnks

Red shocks

If you have a brand new truck, go to one of your local 4x4 shops that installs lift kits and buy removed Z71 parts from them (may have to sign liability waiver as they are used parts). A lot of people (for whatever reason) spend the monies for the Z71 package just to drive across the street to put on a lift kit. Majority of the Z71 parts can't be used with lift kit (shocks, wheels/tires, some skid plates)

Depending on the model year, the z71 package also included fender flairs (flares?) and in 2005 had the CD + Cassette stereo. Many other years included different wheel choices and some other minor trim details. I pulled all the markings off my truck to make it less attractive to thieves and bacause I use it for work.

In 2004 the Z71 package also included fog lights, which were secretely deleted by GM in 2005 LS models and 2006 LT1 models with the Z71 package.

And to add insult to injury, they also substitued the standard 3.73 gears with 3.42 gears starting with 2005 Z71 models. 3.73 gears cost me $ 100 extra on my 06 Z71.

And of course, the standard rear disc brakes were deleted starting with 2005 models (all 1/2 ton trucks) and drum brakes were used.

Archived