Digital Camera

Zane

What is a decent digital camera for reasonable money? What other things will I need for my computer. My sister tells me the Sony Mavica's with the disk are the best, but they are a little spendy. Any ideas?

Thanks

The sonys' are nice.  I have an Epson that I have had for about 3 years and it has been very good.  The reason I got it was because my printer (photo quality) is also an epson and I can interface between the two if I want to... (although I never have).

The sony takes the disks which are inexpensive but the price of the "flash" media cards has come way down over the years.  Your computer shouldn't need anything as long as you have a free port to plug into and plenty of hard drive to store your photos on.

ok, so the smaller cameras take the media cards, right? Is there any other type of digital camera? Do these camera's come with the cords for the computer? Sorry for all the questions, but I would rather ask here, than ask a salesperson.

Thanks

I belive that when you buy the camera it comes with a little interfacing device for your computer( if it uses flash). The floppys are no brainers.

I have started to see some dig-cams that actually write to a minature CD. The CD's hold something like 11,000 pics!!!!! Those types are expensive though.

I just bought a Canon G1 and love it.

Go to http://www.dpreview.com for reviews of this and other cameras. I used MySimion http://www.mysimon.com/ for finding the lowest price on the WEB and then ordered it.

The camera uses compact flash for storage and includes a USB interface cable and loads of software. Check my pictures at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1468095. This was my first attempt at learning to use the camera. Click on each picture twice and it will show it full size. The picture was taken on the Medium resolution and Medium size. Like I said it's a great camera and seems to be one of the top choices.

By the way Roofer, I have a brother-in-law that lives in Rogers. Right in your neck of the woods. He has a 2 tone 99 Z71 Silverado.

(Edited by 2k1 2500hd at 8:47 am on Feb. 2, 2001)

You should get the software and cables that you need with the camera.  My camera also came with a battery charger and those trick NI-MH batteries that can't be trained like some other rechargable batteries.  For posting pictures on the web and just viewing them on your computer you don't need to use a very high resolution camera.  If you want to print nice 5x7's and bigger then you'll need a camera that is at least 1.3 megapixels.  You'll find that you won't print alot of pictures because it uses alot of ink and glossy photo paper runs about .75 cents a sheet.  The lower resolution pictures look the same as the higher res pictures on the screen but they take much less time to upload onto the net...  the downside is they look a little grainy when printed.

Archived