Ignition key WON'T release

99SLT4.3

Question

I have a 99 Jimmy SLT and I've had this problem since 2002.

The ignition key won't release unless I get the wheels absolutly straight and I talk real nice when trying to remove. There have been times where I've spent 10 minutes trying to get the key to release. I've lubricated tumbler and just recently replaced main switch/signal stalk. Any suggestions/help much appreciated!!

0 answers to this question

Does it not turn all the way to the lock position, or does it get there but you still can't get the key out?

In any case, it could be the lock cylinder itself. This has nothing to do with the multi-function/ignition switch, so replacing that never would have helped. The lock cylinder is the mechanical part of the system.

There's also an interlock system that prevents one from turning the ign. key to the lock position unless the shifter is in park. If that doesn't release when put in park, you will not be able to turn the key all the way to the lock/off position. You might try playing with (repeatedly putting it in/out of park) when the problem occurs to see if this will affect it.

Does it not turn all the way to the lock position, or does it get there but you still can't get the key out?

In any case, it could be the lock cylinder itself.  This has nothing to do with the multi-function/ignition switch, so replacing that never would have helped.  The lock cylinder is the mechanical part of the system.

There's also an interlock system that prevents one from turning the ign. key to the lock position unless the shifter is in park.  If that doesn't release when put in park, you will not be able to turn the key all the way to the lock/off position.  You might try playing with (repeatedly putting it in/out of park) when the problem occurs to see if this will affect it.

I can't get it back to the lock position, so the key can't be removed. The switch was removed because the signal wouldn't cancel. Since I was elbow deep into the steering colum, I tried to check for loose wires or anything out of place. Might there be a selenoid(SP) that releases the key? I've tried the park/nuetral/start positions when this problem occurs. It's getting harder to remove. I'm afraid to loan my truck out because they would never figure it out. ANNOYED!!!

There's also an interlock system that prevents one from turning the ign. key to the lock position unless the shifter is in park. If that doesn't release when put in park, you will not be able to turn the key all the way to the lock/off position. You might try playing with (repeatedly putting it in/out of park) when the problem occurs to see if this will affect it.

I'd say this is the problem, but I don't know how to adjust it. Def. look into this.

Column mounted shifter or floor shift?

Shifter is floor mounted. I'm very careful to get it into park

and push in the shifter button and listen for the release @ the key.

I can tell immediately tell when I shut off truck and shift to park

when there will be a problem. There's NO release sound @ the key

when I shift to park!

Archived