Rear differential rebuild at the dealer...

JLeosnow

Question

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to see(cost-wise) if I was to have a dealer remove, rebuild(new ring & pinion and all bearings) and reinstall the limited slip 4:10 rear differential in our 2001 Suburban 1500 4X4?

I got what I think is a ridiculous quote from them that just does not make any sence. $1675.00 for all new bearings(no ring & pinion) or $3360.00 for the same job as previously listed(all new bearings) with installation of a new ring & pinion. This cost difference just does not make any sence to me given a ring & pinion set runs $750.00..... Is there THAT MUCH more work involved to install all the rear differential bearings with a new ring & pinion versus just bearings...?? Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-John

0 answers to this question

Hi GM-Tech,

They are figuring 9.8 hrs for this job. I have to wonder why they are coming in so labor intensive and when you looked it up you saw 5 to 5-1/2 hrs? When you looked in the flat rate manual were you figuring for a 4.10 or doesn't this affect labor time?

I know for certain it does have an affect on the parts costs(a persron would think that these 4:10 components were gold plated....or should be for the costs anyways) by the difference in price compared to the 3.08, 3.42, 3.73 components :lurk:

Thanks for your help,

-John

Yes, Mitchell, which is a labor time guide, says 5.0 hours for a ring & pinion replacement. Adding in axle bearings adds a little more, but certainly not 4.8 hours!

The amount of work doesn't change based on the gear ratio. It takes no more or no less time to do a 3.42 than it does a 4.10. I don't do parts so can't speak for any difference in parts prices with different ratios.

Me and my dad replaced my entire rear end on my 97 z71 in 2 days. Cost was about....$500 or so.

Still having to tweak it out though. The rear end tends to make a grinding noise when i am coasting down a hill. Once i give it some gas the grinding quickly goes away.

I think we have some shimming to do.

Wow, that's a lot of money for that job. I agree with you that it's a ridiculous amount... either way. I think you could probably buy a whole new axle assembly for less than the ring/pinion job quote.

Replacing all the bearings requires just as much work as replacing all the bearings AND the ring & pinion. Oh, it probably takes 20 minutes more to unbolt and bolt and torque the new ring gear in place, but that's the only difference I can think of.

I'd say they're probably considering not doing any sort of setup of the gears if they just replace the bearings, therefore reducing labor cost. They MIGHT get away with that with no problems. Setup takes some time, but I can't imagine it adding that much more.

I just looked up the labor to replace the ring & pinion in Mitchell and it's 5.0 hours. Multiply that times their labor rate to get the labor cost. It doesn't say if that includes replacing the side bearings, but that'd only be another .5 hrs or so. It didn't give me the parts prices, but I don't trust their pricing of parts all that much.

Yes, Mitchell, which is a labor time guide, says 5.0 hours for a ring & pinion replacement.  Adding in axle bearings adds a little more, but certainly not 4.8 hours!

The amount of work doesn't change based on the gear ratio.  It takes no more or no less time to do a 3.42 than it does a 4.10.  I don't do parts so can't speak for any difference in parts prices with different ratios.

GM-Tech,

Does the 5.0 hours to replace a ring & pinion also include replacement of the differential case?

Thanks,

-John

Does the 5.0 hours to replace a ring & pinion also include replacement of the differential case?

As far as I know, that case comes fully assembled except for the ring gear and the side bearings. If that is indeed the case, there's even slighly less labor because the bearings don't have to be removed from the old case. Just install the new bearings and the ring gear on the new case and it's ready to go.

If the case is empty of pinion/side gears and clutch assemblies, which I don't think it is, then there is a bit more labor to assemble those components.

As far as I know, that case comes fully assembled except for the ring gear and the side bearings. If that is indeed the case, there's even slighly less labor because the bearings don't have to be removed from the old case. Just install the new bearings and the ring gear on the new case and it's ready to go.

If the case is empty of pinion/side gears and clutch assemblies, which I don't think it is, then there is a bit more labor to assemble those components.

GM-Tech,

Again, thank you for your input. :lurk: I guess I am going to have to question the service advisor on his 9.8 hour quote for this job....

Thanks,

-John

Thanks for the prompt reply & information GM-Tech. I will have them give me a breakdown on labor & parts costs before I decide what I want to do. They also offered me a 3rd option which was replacing the entire rear diff. with a aftermarket reman. assy and that was $3325.00. I do not like using aftermarket parts, especially in these situations, and also feel that this price seemed rather high to me for a straight R&R.

-John

Wow, that's a lot of money for that job.  I agree with you that it's a ridiculous amount... either way.  I think you could probably buy a whole new axle assembly for less than the ring/pinion job quote.

Replacing all the bearings requires just as much work as replacing all the bearings AND the ring & pinion.  Oh, it probably takes 20 minutes more to unbolt and bolt and torque the new ring gear in place, but that's the only difference I can think of.

I'd say they're probably considering not doing any sort of setup of the gears if they just replace the bearings, therefore reducing labor cost.  They MIGHT get away with that with no problems.  Setup takes some time, but I can't imagine it adding that much more.

I just looked up the labor to replace the ring & pinion in Mitchell and it's 5.0 hours.  Multiply that times their labor rate to get the labor cost.  It doesn't say if that includes replacing the side bearings, but that'd only be another .5 hrs or so.  It didn't give me the parts prices, but I don't trust their pricing of parts all that much.

It sounds to me like you've found one of those shady dealers who likes to screw with people. We had one around here that we don't go to anymore. My dad was having the turn signal switch in his old Suburban replaced, and they tried to bill him for twice the labor (one hour) when they only had the truck for 30 minutes. It turns out that it was written up as a 'replace turn signal switch' AND 'replace multi-switch,' which are two separate jobs and both require .5 hours of work, even though they did it all at once.

UPDATE:

$3353.82 includes removal & replacement of the following items:

Pinion Brgs.

Pinion Seals

Spacer

Side Brgs.

Axle Brgs.

Axle Seals

Cover Gskt.

Lube

Ring & Pinion Gear Set

Locker Assy. Diff. Case Assy.