Do I need an alignment after a tire size change?

Ape0r

Just put on a set of used Z71 Tahoe wheels with some new 265 Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas, and I don't know if I should get an alignment or not. The truck will drift gently to the right if I let go of the wheel, as expected. Could changing tire size affect camber?

Truck drove straight as an arrow on I-795 last week (that road is FLAT), I'll see how it does when I hit that highway again on Friday. 51k miles and never had it aligned.

Would you get an alignment? Should I?

Oh, and by the way.. the Alenzas KICK ASS.

You don't "need" an alignment, but I recommend it when ever new tires are installed. Not because it has to be done, but who wants to wear out a new set of tires because they skipped a $50 alignment.

Exactly! I got a lifetime alignment from a local Firestone (I know...but they are less than a mile away) for around $140. Had it aligned 4 times now. Once with first new set of tires (5K), second on second set of tires (80K), third when I rebuilt the front end (140K) and fourth with the 3rd set of tires (160K). At over $600 for a set of tires, why take the chance. I can get 80K out of a set of Michelins. It would be a shame to get only 30K because of a bad alignment. Cheap insurance.

You don't "need" an alignment, but I recommend it when ever new tires are installed. Not because it has to be done, but who wants to wear out a new set of tires because they skipped a $50 alignment.

Exactly! I got a lifetime alignment from a local Firestone (I know...but they are less than a mile away) for around $140. Had it aligned 4 times now. Once with first new set of tires (5K), second on second set of tires (80K), third when I rebuilt the front end (140K) and fourth with the 3rd set of tires (160K). At over $600 for a set of tires, why take the chance. I can get 80K out of a set of Michelins. It would be a shame to get only 30K because of a bad alignment. Cheap insurance.

I wish I could get a "Lifteime" alignment, my truck pulls to the right like a dirty S.O.B. (Its been aligned 6 times at 3 different shops...) They all ask, "Has it been wrecked or have you hit anything?"

"No."

"Well its with in tolerances, and should be blah, blah, blah..."

Thanks guys. Firestone store said they'd do the check for free since I bought the tires from them, and set it for $70 one time or $140 lifetime.

Stealer wanted $70 just to check it, even if no adjustment was required, and said it'd be another $10-$125 depending on what needed setting! Dealer is still getting $79 out of me to program the speedo on Wednesday :\.

Off topic, but you should have the dealer calibrate the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) for the new tire size to make sure your ABS works properly when needed. It is an easy procedure that the dealer can do in about 5 minutes, but they will still probably charge you an hour. Also, depending on the size difference you may consider having the dealer change the PCM programming to correct any speedometer discrepencies. That one takes a little longer as they must call GM to get the programming information for your particular vehicle.

Thanks guys. Firestone store said they'd do the check for free since I bought the tires from them, and set it for $70 one time or $140 lifetime.

Stealer wanted $70 just to check it, even if no adjustment was required, and said it'd be another $10-$125 depending on what needed setting! Dealer is still getting $79 out of me to program the speedo on Wednesday :\.

Archived