Have a manual? (book)

Hey I just got a new 02 2500hd. Love it. However the extended cab door on the drivers side is giving me issues.

Just wondering what manuals you guys have. I've always had a haynes or chilton manual for what ever truck I'm driving at the time. I went to get one the other day and they only had manuals for the older body style. Any suggestions on where to get one and which one to get?

Thanks

Joe

Joe I think the only real manual availiable is the factory manual. It's very thourough with 5 volumes but cost just over $300. I got mine for a Christmas present. You can find them through GM's websites, your owners manual, or from the dealers.

Vernon

Joe I think the only real manual availiable is the factory manual.  It's very thourough with 5 volumes but cost just over $300.  I got mine for a Christmas present.  You can find them through GM's websites, your owners manual, or from the dealers.

Vernon

The information is available on CD and DVD. If you have a computer, you should make friends with someone who has the DVD.

I've also been wondering where to get a tech. manual from. I see in the back of the operators manual, Helm Inc. has one for sale for $120.00. It says it covers diagnosis and repair information on engines, transmissions, axle, suspension, brakes, electrical, body, etc. Does anyone have one of these? Is it any good?

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?S...7JS9TPHE8ST00QB

GMT02CK8PU is the Item#, $135 (plus S&H, taxes, about $153) but it currently says out of stock. I got a set for 2004 (GMT04CK8PU) last year (on my Christmas list). 5 volumes, each about 3" thick LOTS OF PAPER!!! They appear to be the genuine GM Service Manuals (they say "Published by North American Operations, General Motors Corporation, ..." and are copyrighted by GM).

Are they any good? Well, they cover everything.

:cheers: And now I shall rant about service manuals :cheers:

I LOVED the genuine service manual I had for my '87 Dodge van; about 2" thick, complete, well-organized, included theory of operation, nearly perfect, $35.

I REALLY LIKE my 1991 Toyota Camry manual, 3" thick, very well done like the Dodge manual, $50.

I was REALLY DISAPPOINTED in my 2000 RAV4 manual, 2"+1" thick, very expensive, doesn't even include electrical (another $100 manual), no explanations, just procedures and pictures, and LOTS of wasted space, nearly blank pages through-out...Toyota, how could you go so wrong in 9 years?

Now GM is up to about 15" and they seem to cover everything. Nice pictures and lots of procedures; no theory of operation, though. Better than nothing, really needed if you're going to dig into anything. Yes, I'd buy them again.

I've also been wondering where to get a tech. manual from.  I see in the back of the operators manual, Helm Inc. has one for sale for $120.00.  It says it covers diagnosis and repair information on engines, transmissions, axle, suspension, brakes, electrical, body, etc.  Does anyone have one of these?  Is it any good?

That's the same ones were talking about. I don't know about the price difference though.

Vernon

• 8 months later...

I got the 5 book GM Service Manual from ebay for $100.- (new), but helminc.com is another good place to get them. You could probably get a 2001 manual as well since the bodystyle wasn't changed until 2003 (but I am not so sure about engine and electronic features). These books are great and go into much more detail than Haynes or Chilton.

• 2 weeks later...

I also bought the Helm 5-volume set after I got my truck in 2001. Very thorough with good diagrams and procedures. I don't know if I would get them again for 2 reasons: 1) The diagnostic troubleshooting trees are very thorough and are designed to get you through a general problem like "cranks but won't start" step-by-step until you pinpoint the problem. Unfortunately, EVERY trouble tree begins with "Connect Scan Tool", which needs to be the GM Tech II. 2) The manuals frequently reference "GM Tool J-12234" or whatever specialty tool you need for the job. BUT, they rarely give you a pic or description of what this tool looks like or how it works. So, you get something like "Remove flange using tool J-54321". Meanwhile, you don't know if you're supposed to pry the flange loose, grip it from the outside and rotate it, etc. Of course, that would be obvious if you knew what the tool looked like.

I have the 2001 five-volume GM service manual set plus the 2001 two-volume unit repair manuals from Helm. I think they are great. To get he full value of the troubleshooting information, you do need a GM Tech II scan tool or you can use an aftermarket scan tool such as the high end OTC Genisys or one of the lower end Actron models. Although the aftermarket scan tools will not read all the non-drivability related modules such as the seat/mirror/radio modules, they will generally read all the drivability related modules.

The GM service manuals have a special tool section included in each general subject section. The special tools section list all the related special tools plus has a drawing of the special tool so you can see what it looks like. You can obtain the special tool from several sources or purchase a similar tool that will do the same task. Check eBay; I've seen a number of special tools listed in the service manuals on eBay for a decent price.

Regards

Archived