ABS light question?

hot37shot

Question

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 2wd and have had the abs light come on for some time now. I got the code checked out and it was reportadly a problem with the ABS module itself. I was told by a mechanic that the whole $1000 unit will have to be replaced. Also, I have heard that this has been a common problem with the GMC sierra. My question is; is it a bad idea to not get this thing fixed? Because the brakes seem to work fine, no complaints! Is there any other ppl with the same problem, if so what did you do ? Thanks! Shawn

0 answers to this question

Has anyone had there ABS module rebuilt by www.modulemaster.com? If so what were the results? Did your ABS light turn off and did your brakes work properly? Also, how was the removal/instalation of the unit. It sounds like a fairly straight forward job. I just dont want to pay $1100 to fix it at the dealer! Thanks Shawn :cheers:

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 2wd and have had the abs light come on for some time now. I got the code checked out and it was reportadly a problem with the ABS module itself. I was told by a mechanic that the whole $1000 unit will have to be replaced. Also, I have heard that this has been a common problem with the GMC sierra. My question is; is it a bad idea to not get this thing fixed? Because the brakes seem to work fine, no complaints! Is there any other ppl with the same problem, if so what did you do ? Thanks! Shawn

I checked out the site for the rebuilt ecbm. Great info ! But I would like to hear from anyone who has done this( removing and installing the module). The site makes the removal and instalation look fairly straight forward. Has anyone had any problems with the removal and rebuild of the ECBM? Also, Is it a bad idea to drive without this unit ( the site claims its ok to drive without it while the rebuild) ?Thanks for the info again and any other additional info is greatly appreciated about this inherant ABS module problem. Thanks Shawn

hey i have a 2000 gmc suburban and my abs and break light comes on sometimes ???? not sure what to think ,my truck is fine and the breaks work great!! can some one help ???

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 2wd and have had the abs light come on  for some time now. I got the code checked out and it was reportadly a problem with the ABS module itself. I was told by a mechanic that the whole $1000 unit will have to be replaced. Also, I have heard that this has been a common problem with the GMC sierra. My question is; is it a bad idea to not get this thing fixed? Because the brakes seem to work fine, no complaints! Is there any other ppl with the same problem, if so what did you do ? Thanks! Shawn

I checked out the site for the rebuilt ecbm. Great info ! But I would like to hear from anyone who has done this( removing and installing the module). The site makes the removal and instalation look fairly straight forward. Has anyone had any problems with the removal and rebuild of the ECBM? Also, Is it a bad idea to drive without this unit ( the site claims its ok to drive without it while the rebuild) ?Thanks for the info again and any other additional info is greatly appreciated about this inherant ABS module problem. Thanks Shawn

I had the ABS/Brake light problem too. I cleaned the EBCM ground contact on the frame - no luck. I took it to the dealer for a code read. Got code C0265 - high resistance, poor connection in main power circuit. They Ohmed main power wire circuit 442 from UBEC to EBCM - received high resistance... removed loose wire from connector and tightened loose terminal.

$170.00 - $85.00 to get the codes read and $85.00 to tighten a loose wire. I would'nt have figured it out, and I didn't need a new EBCM.

What code is it setting? Here is a bulletin that might help out.

Subject: ABS Light On, DTCs C0265, C0201, U1041 Set and/or Loss of Communication with Brake Module (Reground EBCM Ground) #04-05-25-002C - (11/23/2005)

Models: 2004-2005 Buick Rainier

2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

2002-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2003-2005 Chevolet SSR

1999-2006 GMC Sierra

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2002-2005 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL

2002-2006 GMC Sierra Denali

2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to provide further diagnostic information and add 2006 model year full-size vehicles. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-05-25-002B (Section 05 -- Brakes).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ABS light is on. Upon further inspection, DTCs C0265 and C0201 may be set in the brake module. It is also possible for DTC U1041 to set in other modules. There may also be a loss of communication with the brake module.

Cause

A poor connection at the EBCM ground is causing unnecessary replacements of brake modules.

Important: The EBCM Ground is different for each application. Refer to the list below for the proper ground reference:

• Midsize Utilities = Ground 304

• SSR = Ground 400

• Fullsize Trucks and Utilities = Ground 110

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE BRAKE MODULE.

Perform the following steps to improve the connection of the EBCM Ground:

Remove the EBCM Ground. The EBCM Ground is located on the frame beneath the driver's side door. If multiple grounds are found in this location, the EBCM ground can be identified as the heavy (12-gauge) wire.

Clean the area, front and back, using a Whiz Wheel®.

Install the ground, then the washer and then the bolt to the frame.

Important: It is important to use the bolts, washers and nuts specified in this bulletin. These parts have been identified due to their conductive finish.

Install a washer and nut to the back side of the frame.

Tighten

Tighten the nut to 9 N·m (79 lb in).

Cover the front and back side of the repair area using Rubberized Undercoating.

An additional check can be made to ensure a good connection for the Battery Cable to Frame ground. It is possible for this ground to cause similar symptoms with the ABS as described above.

Parts Information

FULL-SIZE TRUCKS, SUVs AND H2

Part Number

Description

Bolt

Washer

Nut

(in Canada, 10952414)

Rubberized Undercoating -- Paintable

MIDSIZE SUVs

Part Number

Description

Bolt

Washer

Nut

(in Canada, 10952414)

Rubberized Undercoating -- Paintable

I sent mine to module master last year and it still works great. It was the second time for mine to go out, first time was under warranty and the replacement didn't make it 3 years. I wasn't going to pay GM for another crappy module. Light went out and the abs seems to function like it did before.

The removal process will be easy if your torx head bolts (more of a screw if you ask me) don't break off like mine did. I had to disconnect the brake lines and drop the whole assembly out. After drilling and tapping I replaced the bolts with stainless like GM should have done in the first place. Took a little more time but still wasn't bad. Definitely better than paying the dealer $1,200.

My ABS and Brake lights come on in warm weather. When it was frigid cold here they never came on. Now that the temps are in the 40s they come on after about 15 minutes of driving. It might be a coincidence, but this never happened until after I took my truck in for the recall on the ABS Sensor. It is sporadic, so I just ignored it, not sure if they could diagnose a problem if there isn't any trouble lights on. I just cleaned the ground as the bulletin states and will see if it changes things.

Has anyone had there ABS module rebuilt by www.modulemaster.com? If so what were the results? Did your ABS light turn off and did your brakes work properly? Also, how was the removal/instalation of the unit. It sounds like a fairly straight forward job. I just dont want to pay $1100 to fix it at the dealer! Thanks Shawn :sick:

I had the same problem this last summer. After trying all the various options like ground wire I took it to a brake shop that scanned and said that the module was bad and dealer cost was $1k. Working in my driveway I managed to remove one of the two torx screws without removing the entire package. Well, as luck would have it the second screw just stripped out the head so I then needed to remove the entire unit with module attached. I think there are 5-6 brake lines nestled together. I spent about an hour slowly removing each of the lines then removing the entire unit. Using a 5/16" drill bit in a press I drilled out the offending screwhead. The module then simply slid off and I used visegrips to remove the balance of the screw. Packaged the module per instructions and mailed it off (I did insure it!). After a few days (4 maybe) the rebuilt module arrived. I ordered the replacement ss screws that are hex drive (allen). Put it together and crawled under the truck and installed the unit and reconnected all the lines (it was necessary to bend the lines slightly) starting with the one closest to the frame. I seem to remember taking longer to remove the lines than reconnecting them. It has been nearly 10 months without a hitch. I would recommend this company over OEM any day. Saved mega $$$.

In New Hampshire, we got some snow last night. During my attempt to move my truck into the yard for only a few seconds it got stuck (I was trying to move it so my friend could plow the driveway). We tried getting it unstuck but soon gave up because he had to be on his way. Tonight I dug through the ice around my front wheels and I tried for a few minutes to get the truck out. During this time I was spinning the tires considerably while turning the steering wheel left to right rapidly in order to gain some sort of traction in the front end since my rear tires were on a sheet of ice. During this operation the ABS kicked in (this has happened before in 2wd while I fishtailed in the snow once). The ABS light turned on for a bit, then turned off. Then I actually got the truck out and the ABD light turned on and stayed on. Now I don't have a clue.

When your ABS light turned on, were you in a low traction situation?? Maybe it is some sort of primitive traction control??

I'd bet the extreme diiference in wheel speed between front and rear set a code. Try disconnecting the battery for awhile to reset the computer, maybe it won't come back on.

In New Hampshire, we got some snow last night. During my attempt to move my truck into the yard for only a few seconds it got stuck (I was trying to move it so my friend could plow the driveway). We tried getting it unstuck but soon gave up because he had to be on his way. Tonight I dug through the ice around my front wheels and I tried for a few minutes to get the truck out. During this time I was spinning the tires considerably while turning the steering wheel left to right rapidly in order to gain some sort of traction in the front end since my rear tires were on a sheet of ice. During this operation the ABS kicked in (this has happened before in 2wd while I fishtailed in the snow once). The ABS light turned on for a bit, then turned off. Then I actually got the truck out and the ABD light turned on and stayed on. Now I don't have a clue.

When your ABS light turned on, were you in a low traction situation?? Maybe it is some sort of primitive traction control??

Has anyone had there ABS module rebuilt by www.modulemaster.com? If so what were the results? Did your ABS light turn off and did your brakes work properly? Also, how was the removal/instalation of the unit. It sounds like a fairly straight forward job. I just dont want to pay $1100 to fix it at the dealer! Thanks Shawn :confused:

Shawn, To remove the module you will need two t- 20 torx bits one regular sized for the two inboard screws and a long bit for the out board screws. You can turn them with a 1/4 inch ratchet wrench.I just removed mine and am sending it off tomorrow. It took about an hour including wrapping it up tight to keep dirt and water out. The cost is 125.00 turnaround time is usually a couple days according to what they told me when I called them.

Archived