Clean the throttle body

mlatourette

Question

0 answers to this question

I've always cleaned the TBI in place but that leaves some carbon buildup where you can't reach with a rag. Can you reuse the gasket if you pull it or do you have to replace it with a new gasket?

Ok, I give.  Did somebody at Uncle Joes Instant Oil Change tell you your throttle body was dirty?

Hey, mmmikkke....you were a little hard on mlatourette weren't you?

Sounds like a legit question .....

Ya know, I didn't really mean any sarcasm. But the way I put it does sound that way, so I apologize if mlatourette was offended.

It *is* a legitimate question.

I was just wondering what caused the question to be asked. Was there a symptom, Mike? Or was there just a "suggestion" from somebody who wanted to pull a few extra bucks out of your billfold?

Ok, I give.  Did somebody at Uncle Joes Instant Oil Change tell you your throttle body was dirty?

Sounds like a legit question .....when I worked at the GM dealer we cleaned lots of throttle bodies where deposits form where throttle plate touches bore and will not allow plates to close fully, sending a false throttle position to ECM.

Sounds like a legit question .....

Ya know, I didn't really mean any sarcasm. But the way I put it does sound that way, so I apologize if mlatourette was offended.

It *is* a legitimate question.

I was just wondering what caused the question to be asked. Was there a symptom, Mike? Or was there just a "suggestion" from somebody who wanted to pull a few extra bucks out of your billfold?

This was suggested by the "gm tech" here and was trying to find out if you cleaned it on or off the vehicle but did it off the vehicle and all is working fine

I have cleaned mine on the veh several times. You will think this is a little crazy but I have freind who bought one of those cheap electric toothbrushes and he uses it along with Seafoam Deep Creep and a rag. The toothbrush allows him to reach further in than the rag alone.

I clean mine probably once a yr due to a sticky throttle. Take the intake off buy some throttle body cleaner spray in and wipe out with a rag. There usually is some nice black (carbon) deposits in there.

I clean mine probably once a yr due to a sticky throttle.  Take the intake off buy some throttle body cleaner spray in and wipe out with a rag.  There usually is some nice black (carbon) deposits in there.

I did the same about once a year on my 01 Silverado. I knew it was getting dirty when the gas pedal was sticky on initial throttle. Only have my 06 Sierra for 7 months, but I'll clean it in a few more months.

Archived