Photo
- - - - -

Clean the throttle body

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 mlatourette

mlatourette

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

How do you Clean the throttle body on a 2005 Chevy Colorado I5

#2 mmmikkke

mmmikkke

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,355 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Ok, I give. Did somebody at Uncle Joes Instant Oil Change tell you your throttle body was dirty?
2005 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4
6.0L 4L80E Dark Grey Metallic, Toyo Open Country 285's, Pioneer DEH-9400MP, Infinity Basslink, Cobra 18WXST, Whelen Mini-Edge Strobe, WeatherGuard Cross Box

#3 davegee

davegee

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Ok, I give.  Did somebody at Uncle Joes Instant Oil Change tell you your throttle body was dirty?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, mmmikkke....you were a little hard on mlatourette weren't you?
Sounds like a legit question .....when I worked at the GM dealer we cleaned lots of throttle bodies where deposits form where throttle plate touches bore and will not allow plates to close fully, sending a false throttle position to ECM.
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (red/champagne)
LT265/75/16 Michelin AT
Sirius Radio/Alpine deck/10" JBL sub/Alpine amp
Heated windshield washers/headlight washers
4 HI 4300k Vision Bulbs HID system in hi's and lows
Extra battery RHS in GM battery box
Color matched cab height canopy with Hi mount LED tail/stop light
Single halogen backup light rear bumper/halogen backup bulbs
LED brake light on hitch receiver
Reflective conspicuity strips under tailgate

1969 Camaro SS Convertible
1988 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with 1996 Bigfoot camper
1992 Cutlass Ciera
1969 Century 19' Resorter mid engine boat STOLEN

24 x 44 detached shop "THE GARAGEMAHAL"

#4 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,294 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

I clean mine probably once a yr due to a sticky throttle. Take the intake off buy some throttle body cleaner spray in and wipe out with a rag. There usually is some nice black (carbon) deposits in there.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#5 HighSierraZ-71

HighSierraZ-71

Enthusiast

• 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:13 AM

I clean mine probably once a yr due to a sticky throttle.  Take the intake off buy some throttle body cleaner spray in and wipe out with a rag.  There usually is some nice black (carbon) deposits in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did the same about once a year on my 01 Silverado. I knew it was getting dirty when the gas pedal was sticky on initial throttle. Only have my 06 Sierra for 7 months, but I'll clean it in a few more months.
2007 Sport Red, GMT 900 Silverado Crew Cab Z-71
2006 Honda Accord V6
2006 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2005 HD Electra Glide Classic
1997 BMW R1100R
2000 Yamaha XT225

#6 alvocado

alvocado

Enthusiast

• 380 posts
  • Name:Allen
  • Drives:2011 GMC Yukon SLT

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

I've always cleaned the TBI in place but that leaves some carbon buildup where you can't reach with a rag. Can you reuse the gasket if you pull it or do you have to replace it with a new gasket?

#7 mmmikkke

mmmikkke

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,355 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

Ok, I give.  Did somebody at Uncle Joes Instant Oil Change tell you your throttle body was dirty?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a legit question .....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya know, I didn't really mean any sarcasm. But the way I put it does sound that way, so I apologize if mlatourette was offended.

It *is* a legitimate question.

I was just wondering what caused the question to be asked. Was there a symptom, Mike? Or was there just a "suggestion" from somebody who wanted to pull a few extra bucks out of your billfold?

Edited by mmmikkke, 30 December 2006 - 11:21 PM.

2005 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4
6.0L 4L80E Dark Grey Metallic, Toyo Open Country 285's, Pioneer DEH-9400MP, Infinity Basslink, Cobra 18WXST, Whelen Mini-Edge Strobe, WeatherGuard Cross Box

#8 mlatourette

mlatourette

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a legit question .....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya know, I didn't really mean any sarcasm. But the way I put it does sound that way, so I apologize if mlatourette was offended.

It *is* a legitimate question.

I was just wondering what caused the question to be asked. Was there a symptom, Mike? Or was there just a "suggestion" from somebody who wanted to pull a few extra bucks out of your billfold?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was suggested by the "gm tech" here and was trying to find out if you cleaned it on or off the vehicle but did it off the vehicle and all is working fine

#9 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I have cleaned mine on the veh several times. You will think this is a little crazy but I have freind who bought one of those cheap electric toothbrushes and he uses it along with Seafoam Deep Creep and a rag. The toothbrush allows him to reach further in than the rag alone.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!