Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Overfill?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 CapitalTruck

CapitalTruck

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,187 posts
  • Drives:'13 Silverado Ext. Cab. 4wd 4.8L

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

I had my transmission fluid changed the other day (pan and filter), they overfilled the unit by about 1/2 inch. Is this going to be a problem (i.e. should I snake a vacuum tube down the dipstick tube and suck a little out) or will it be alright? What do you think?

CapitalTruck's Current Ride:

2013 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 LS 4.8L Purchased New 5/2013

#2 01z71

01z71

Enthusiast

• 430 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

I had mine doen too. They also overfilled it. I wouldn't worry about it (I'm not) because when I got the truck it was also overfilled.
2001 Z-71 LS extended cab 4-door, Forrest Green Metallic with Neutral Interior, Amsoil 0w30 Signature Series Severe Service Synthetic Oil, RedLine D4 ATF Full Synthetic Trans. Fluid, Amsoil 75W90 Full Synthetic Front & Rear Axle Fluid, Line-X Spray In BedLiner, CR Laurence Sliding Rear Window, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor LT265/75/16 Tires, 5.3L V-8, Auto Trans., V.R. Tailgate Straps, Powered by GM, Protected by Zaino!!

#3 CoastyAV8R

CoastyAV8R

Enthusiast

• 81 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:01 AM

Because it was like that when you got it doesn't make it right.

If it was mine, I would go buy some small diameter hose and stick it down the dipstick tube and suck it out until it was at the proper level using a syringe, but it ain't mine...

It seems 01z71 hasn't had any problems with his tranny being over serviced though.
05 GMC 1500 SWB extended cab, 4.8/4L60E

72 CB175
03 XR50
08 CRF150R
98 XR400
01 KTM300MXC
06 CRF450R
Posted Image

#4 95Sierra2500

95Sierra2500

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,046 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

For automatics I usually try NOT to overfill them, but a little doesn't really hurt. Manuals I usually put my thumb over the hole and then start filling, when it comes out over my thumb then I plug it up...But then, a manual doesn't have a pump or anything critical to 'too much' fluid.
1995 Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 - ext. cab, long box, 350, auto, power everything...beater for the winter

1998 Grand Prix GTP - Just a V6, but it'll hang with most V8s..whoops a bunch too with exhaust, intake, and a smaller pulley

1968 Firebird - work in progress, looking for 11's all motor

1999 GMC Jimmy - The wifey's ride

#5 ken1mod

ken1mod

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,150 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

the problem with overfilling is that the oil can rise up into the rotating machinery and be whipped into a foam which will cause destruction through low pressure.

I do not like to see a transmission overfilled. I would lower the level any convenient way.

Ken

#6 dewfpo

dewfpo

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,773 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

If it were me I would bring the level down. I had an overfilled tranny once (by 1/2 qt.) and after a few hundred miles it started to whine. I removed the excess atf and it's been fine ever since.

DEWFPO
2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#7 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:46 AM

1/2 inch on the stick is a good bit. I would say this is too much and would get it out. This is a common problem when having a trans serviced. I do my own but when I have my company van serviced and make sure they leave it low and I top it off later. It seemed until I started telling them to leave it low, they always overfilled it.

My theory is there are too many people in these shops that do not understand the trans has to be at full operationg temp to check it. The check it after driving it for 2 miles and the fill it at that point. It will then be overfull once it is heated up to op temps.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#8 ken1mod

ken1mod

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,150 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

An interesting point is that these transmissions run quite cool in normal conditions. After driving 100 miles in Phoenix, Az, because of the lock up converter, the dipstick was only warm to the touch. Do not overfill.

Ken