Photo
- - - - -

Convert from Manual to Automatic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cowboy09

Cowboy09

Enthusiast

• 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

I've got a 90 Chevy C1500, 2WD, 1/2 ton, sportside (what a mouthful!), and I'm attempting to convert it from its original manual transmission to and automatic. Unfortunately, it seems like the crank mounts for the flywheel are different on the automatic version than the manual. It seems really odd that they would have a different type engine build just for a transmission variation.

Anyway, I've truly hit a wall and wanted to see if anyone here could shed some light on it for me. Thanks in advance!

*Sorry for the double post. I realized after I posted the first one that it was in the wrong place :confused: *
When I can afford the gas
1990 C1500 Scottsdale
Sportside + Towing Package, 500,000 miles

When I can't afford the gas
2002 Buell Blast
Custom carb stack intake
Silverstar Headlight

When the wife wants to go with
2007 Dodge Caliber
She won't let me do anything to it...

#2 ratchet

ratchet

Enthusiast

• 77 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

what engine is it? The crank mounts should be the same no matter what motor though. Since your truck is a manual there is a pilot bearing in the crank that must be removed. After that everything should just bolt on. I think you have to change starters if I remember right.

#3 Cowboy09

Cowboy09

Enthusiast

• 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

It's the 350 SB.
1990 C1500 Scottsdale

2002 Buell Blast
Custom carb stack intake
Silverstar Headlight

2007 Dodge Caliber

#4 StoneyPgh

StoneyPgh

Enthusiast

• 218 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

It's the 350 SB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shouldn't be a major undertaking.
Might need an autorans cross member and drive shaft
Peter
'03 Silverado LS XC 8.1L/Ally 3.73 4X4 3/3 drop

#5 Cowboy09

Cowboy09

Enthusiast

• 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well, that's what I thought, but I've got this problem of the flywheel. The mounts for the auto and manual are different. Once I get the flywheel mounted, it's smooth sailing...until then, I'm hoping someone here can help!

EDIT: I'll check that out ratchet. Maybe I'm just blind and missed something.

Edited by Cowboy09, 01 January 2007 - 05:58 PM.

1990 C1500 Scottsdale

2002 Buell Blast
Custom carb stack intake
Silverstar Headlight

2007 Dodge Caliber

#6 bluechevysled

bluechevysled

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

[quote name='Cowboy09' date='Jan 1 2007, 02:46 PM']
I've got a 90 Chevy C1500, 2WD, 1/2 ton, sportside (what a mouthful!), and I'm attempting to convert it from its original manual transmission to and automatic. Unfortunately, it seems like the crank mounts for the flywheel are different on the automatic version than the manual. It seems really odd that they would have a different type engine build just for a transmission variation.

did you have to change the wiring harness?

#7 95Sierra2500

95Sierra2500

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

Not to sound like a smart ass, but the flexplate should bolt up to the same spot as the flywheel. However, GM does like to off-set the holes. Check to make sure you're putting the flexplate on the right way...You might be trying to put it on backwards.
1995 Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 - ext. cab, long box, 350, auto, power everything...beater for the winter

1998 Grand Prix GTP - Just a V6, but it'll hang with most V8s..whoops a bunch too with exhaust, intake, and a smaller pulley

1968 Firebird - work in progress, looking for 11's all motor

1999 GMC Jimmy - The wifey's ride

#8 03blackburb

03blackburb

Enthusiast

• 167 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

Couple of things. Wrong flexplate. You have the flexplate backwards. You have not rotated the flexplate on the crank to the correct orientation to match the bold holes.
The crank is the same whether a manual or auto trans is being used. You also do NOT have to remove the pilot bearing from the crank.

#9 95Sierra2500

95Sierra2500

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

You also do NOT have to remove the pilot bearing from the crank.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the only point where I might disagree, as it's been a while since I've had an engine/trans apart...but wouldn't the pilot bearing be in the way of the pilot on the torque converter, which goes into the crank, thus necessitating the removal of the pilot bearing?
1995 Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 - ext. cab, long box, 350, auto, power everything...beater for the winter

1998 Grand Prix GTP - Just a V6, but it'll hang with most V8s..whoops a bunch too with exhaust, intake, and a smaller pulley

1968 Firebird - work in progress, looking for 11's all motor

1999 GMC Jimmy - The wifey's ride

#10 03blackburb

03blackburb

Enthusiast

• 167 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

The from of the converter does not fit into the crank like a manual input shaft. the converter bolts to the flexplate as compared to the input shaft in a manual that is supported inside of the case by needle bearings, then the front main bearing. the rest of the length of the shaft is unsupported until it reaches the pilot bearing. The manual input shaft needs support on both ends.

#11 ohcrzyguy

ohcrzyguy

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

hey man i did this with my truck i used the same starter off the manual, you'll need an automatic drive shaft. mine is a 95 with a 700r4 and i got a painless wiring harness (that was fun) for the sencors to work

#12 ratchet

ratchet

Enthusiast

• 77 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

I've never been able to get a torque converter to fit without removing the pilot bearing first.