My 2001 Chevy Silverado stalls

rvankleeck

Question

Hi I recently purchased a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd w/5.3L, and some times when I drive it will stall and I see the security light blink 3 times when this happens. When I restart the truck it starts right up without a problem but if I don’t keep taping the gas it will stall, but if the truck stalls and I put it in park and remove the key and put it back in, it starts right up and stays running. I have had one situation where the truck had stalled and I couldn’t restart it for 30min, it would crank but not start, like it was just out of gas. I just went to Auto Zone to have an engine diagnostic but there was 0 codes on the computer, so I am lost and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

0 answers to this question

hi i had a problem with the passlock in my 2000 silverado when staring cranking longer than normal the problem was a dirty lock cylinder the senor is in the lock cylinder just remove it and wipe it clean and maybe it will solve your problem only takes about an hour to do. some one might have spayed wd or lube in it which leaves a film which changes the resistance of the passlock sensor and the computer is thinking you stole it which shuts off the fuel system check out dtc code p1626 this will give you more info about how the passlock works

Ill check this out, thanks. Im tryin all ideas

hi i had a problem with the passlock in my 2000 silverado when staring cranking longer than normal the problem was a dirty lock cylinder  the senor is in the lock cylinder  just remove it and wipe it clean and maybe it will solve your problem only takes about an hour to do. some one might have spayed wd or lube in it which leaves a film which changes the resistance of the passlock sensor and the computer is thinking you stole it which shuts off the fuel system  check out dtc code p1626 this will give you more info about how the passlock works

Im going to try that today i had swap the fuel pump relay but didnt think about doin it to the IGN 1 RELAY.

I checked the fuses, they all seemed to be good, I started messing around with  it today and then all of sudden(18hrs later) when I had put my key in I saw the gauge working and guess what the truck started right up. Right now that kind of fuc# me, because I had an appointment with a dealership Monday to bring it in, but now its running. What should I do, because im afraid of what the dealer might charge to have to take the vehicle on the road wand what till it stalls, have it towed back to the shop, and what if it doesn’t stall then what do i do, will they charge me a ridiculous amount of money which I don’t have at all.

CHECK YOUR IGN 1 RELAY SWAP IT OUT WITH DEFOG OR ONE OF THE SAME MAKE SURE THE PIN # aRE IN THE THE RIGHT WAY IT IN THE UNDER HOOD RELAY FUSE BOX

check for power at ecm fuse when the fuel guage is not working the fuel guage goes thru the ecm if it not geting power the truck wont start which could possilbe be a bad ignition switch the eletcial part

Thats funny how you are saying it will only take me one hour because i guess for an expert GM Mechanic its going to take them 4.5hrs, thats BS for them to do that. I was actually thinking of just droping the gas tank and doin itthat way, but i might look into your way first, just to see if it will be easier.

I checked the fuses, they all seemed to be good, I started messing around with  it today and then all of sudden(18hrs later) when I had put my key in I saw the gauge working and guess what the truck started right up. Right now that kind of fuc# me, because I had an appointment with a dealership Monday to bring it in, but now its running. What should I do, because im afraid of what the dealer might charge to have to take the vehicle on the road wand what till it stalls, have it towed back to the shop, and what if it doesn’t stall then what do i do, will they charge me a ridiculous amount of money which I don’t have at all.

CHECK YOUR IGN 1 RELAY SWAP IT OUT WITH DEFOG OR ONE OF THE SAME MAKE SURE THE PIN # aRE IN THE THE RIGHT WAY IT IN THE UNDER HOOD RELAY FUSE BOX

Im going to try that today i had swap the fuel pump relay but didnt think about doin it to the IGN 1 RELAY.

Thats funny how you are saying it will only take me one hour because i guess for an expert GM Mechanic its going to take them 4.5hrs, thats BS for them to do that. I was actually thinking of just droping the gas tank and doin itthat way, but i might look into your way first, just to see if it will be easier.

droping the tank will take about four hours when you count the time of draining it so it will be lite they go by the labor book i used to work in a shop that paid by the book so i would find quick ways to do the job in less time worked great on my 2000 silverado

ok somebody tell me if this sounds correct. Today i finally just took the truck to the dealer, i told them every little detailed, they had call me back today and said its a bad fuel pump, and i said to him, why is my fuel gage not working when my truck doesnt start. The only time it doesnt start is when the fuel gage isnt working, and he said that its actually the fuel pump module that is going bad adn it does control both.

So i dont really believe him but i do not have $1000 to just replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter to proove him wrong. I now owe him 86 dollars for what think i is not my problem, but maybe im wrong maybe it does control both, but i was told different.

Well my vechile will not start , in my messange center box The battery, low fuel and security is blinking, and my fuel gage is not working. Well atleast now if i take into a shop they can troublshoot it instead of driving around and hoping it will stall.

Because i dont have a good idea what to do, because im thinking its a security issue on this truck.

ok somebody tell me if this sounds correct. Today i finally just took the truck to the dealer, i told them every little detailed, they had call me back today and said its a bad fuel pump, and i said to him, why is my fuel gage not working when my truck doesnt start. The only time it doesnt start is when the fuel gage isnt working, and  he said that its actually the fuel pump module that is going bad adn it does control both.

So i dont really believe him but i do not have $1000 to just replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter to proove him wrong. I now owe him 86 dollars for what think i is not my problem, but maybe im wrong maybe it does control both, but i was told different.

HEY CHECK EBAY I BOUGHT A NEW FUEL PUMP FOR 127.00 IT WAS AC DELCO I DONT THINK ITS THE PROBLEM BUT I HEARD THE WIRE WILL RUB BARE INSIDE AND TUCH AND SHORT OUT BUT HAVE NOT COME ACROSS THIS MYSELF ITS NOT HARD TO CHANGE JUST UNBOLT THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE BED AND LOOSEN THE BOLTS ON THE PASS SIDE LEAVE THEM IN SO IT WONT SLIDE WHEN YOU LIFT THE DRIVER SIDE AND BLOCK IT UP AND GO THRU THE WHEEL WELL TO THE TOP OF THE TANKJUST REMBER TO UNHOOK THE FILLER HOSE GAS CAP AREA TWO BOLD AND A PIN CLIP TAKE ABOUT A HOUR AND A HALF WITH AIR TOOLS

Well my vechile will not start , in my messange center box The battery, low fuel and security is blinking, and my fuel gage is not working. Well atleast now if i take into a shop they can troublshoot it instead of driving around and hoping  it will stall.

Because i dont have a good idea what to do, because im thinking its a security issue on this truck.

CHECK YOUR GUAGE FUSE IT CONTROLS THE SECURITY SYSTEM

Archived