99 sierra headlight dont turn off

roadrage7897

Question

I have a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 that I can't turn off the headlights... I am guessing that only in 99 there was not a way to override the night time sensor... I have a friend that has a 2000 that you can press the dome light switch 3 times to override the headlights... I also have a 2006 that you can turn the headlight switch to the left to turn off the headlights... Is it possible to override the headlights on a 99? :cheers: I've had this truck for 5 years and always wanted to know if there was a way to override the headlights... Thanks

0 answers to this question

Good question man....I would also like to know if there is away for me to turn mine off also on my 2002 sierra ...ive tryed pushing the dome light 3 times but idont think that works ...or do you have to push it real fast??? :cheers:

Hi, I have a 2000 Sierra and I too am trying to figure out how to disable the automatic headlight feature.  I tried the dome light override technique but it didn't work.  Other than that the only other ways I have seen are to start tooling around with the wiring.  You can put in a search in this forum for "automatic headlights" and you should come up with a result "turning of automatic headlights," in that forum you will find instructions on how to disable the automatic headlights through the wiring.  There is also a website http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html (you will have to scroll down to find the section "1999 GM full size trucks") there is another technique there on how to disable the automatic headlights through the wiring.  None of this stuff is as simple as pressing the dome override button, but I suppose if you really want to disable the automatic headlights this is better than nothing. I hope this stuff is at least semi-useful, good luck.

Thanks... That website should help... :loser:

Hi, I have a 2000 Sierra and I too am trying to figure out how to disable the automatic headlight feature. I tried the dome light override technique but it didn't work. Other than that the only other ways I have seen are to start tooling around with the wiring. You can put in a search in this forum for "automatic headlights" and you should come up with a result "turning of automatic headlights," in that forum you will find instructions on how to disable the automatic headlights through the wiring. There is also a website http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html (you will have to scroll down to find the section "1999 GM full size trucks") there is another technique there on how to disable the automatic headlights through the wiring. None of this stuff is as simple as pressing the dome override button, but I suppose if you really want to disable the automatic headlights this is better than nothing. I hope this stuff is at least semi-useful, good luck.

There is no override for that year. Do a search on this site and you'll find the answer on how to do it.

basically you have to replace the sensor in the dash with a resistor. Either the sensor itself or cut the wires at the fuse box and put the resistor there. This turns your headlights into full manual control (no auto light EVER)

Archived