2007 Sierra Service tire monitoring

Joe592

Question

Hi,

Just picked up a new 2007 Sierra Crew cab loaded. About 20 min from leaving dealer DIC comes up Service tire monitoring. Reads all tire pressure but front drivers. I am taking it in for service tomorrow to have it fixed, but they don't really explain how it works and how to prevent it being damaged when tires are replaced. They just tell me that the tire place should know and its in the valve stem. Well every time I have had new tires put on the come by and clip each stem with wire cutters to let the air out and replace with new stems. I want to prevent problems in the future and would like to under stand how it works and how to replace the sensor if needed in the future. I have read how to relearn the sensors and understand. I have also read that waving a magnet over rthe sensor will wake it up?. Also while test driving it the Service air bag came on and they said they fixed it, well it also comes back on and off at different start ups. Well I have asked and all they did was reprogrammed something they said but obviously did not fix the problem. Any ideas on what causes that service air bag to come up?

Thanks in advanced

0 answers to this question

I have an 07 and they have worked fine the first 2000miles. I hear they are trouble free and work fine most of the time. Maybe one sensor is bad. They will probably re learn the one thats not working and if that don t work, just replace the bad sensor.Sorry that s all I know about it at this time. Keep us posted.

Is there a way the dealer or someone can disable the tpms sensors all together. Essentially so the truck doesn't look for the sensors. I have aftermarket wheels and would like to simply do away with it.

Nope. Not without messing the the computer.

I was afraid of that... Considering pulling the dash panel apart and blacking out the light, I don't mind the warning that comes up on the DIC cause you can by pass that, it's just the yellow light that bugs me! I was thinking I could pull off the gauge faces and black it out from the back.

Is there a way the dealer or someone can disable the tpms sensors all together. Essentially so the truck doesn't look for the sensors. I have aftermarket wheels and would like to simply do away with it.

Nope. Not without messing the the computer.

<br />Is there a way the dealer or someone can disable the tpms sensors all together. Essentially so the truck doesn't look for the sensors. I have aftermarket wheels and would like to simply do away with it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You and Song ought to get together for coffee. Both seem to want to disable the TPMS. The last vehicle that you could add or disable the TPMS was the 2004 Corvette. I ran into my friend who is a GM Tech. This guy has hacked many a PCMs. Federal law requires TPMS on all vehicles beginning in September, 2007. GM started applying TPMS en mass in 2005. If you were lucky to reprogram the BCM (body control module) to eliminate the TPMS, and assuming no legal ramifications attached, you would also eliminate your VATS (alarm system, door locks, remote start). I added the TPMS to my Corvette. I bought a CTS-V because it had TPMS. Get used to TPMS.

zoz

From what I hear the TPM system is going to standard on all vehicles in near future. I had my sensors switched to new set of wheels and tires. The owners manuel explains how to recalibrate. I did this after wheels and tires were mounted. I get no warning light so I guess system is working fine. But the pressure shown on the dash read out and what a hand held pressure tester reads on a couple of tires are about 2 to 3 pounds difference. Not sure why this is. Anyway I like this system. Good safety item.

Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system warns the driver when a significant loss of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires, and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures, and their locations on the driver information center (DIC).

The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), DIC, remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to preform the system functions.

When the vehicle is stationary the sensor's internal accelerometer is inactive, which puts the sensors into a stationary state. In this state the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 seconds and do not transmit at all if the tire pressures do not change. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force activates the sensor's internal accelerometer causing the sensors to go into rolling mode. In this mode the sensors sample pressure once every 30 second and transmit in rolling mode once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensor's RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:

• LF TIRE XX PSI

• RF TIRE XX PSI

• RR TIRE XX PSI

• LR TIRE XX PSI

The sensors continuously compare their last transmitted pressure to their current pressure sample and will transmit in re-measure mode if a 8 kPa (1.2 psi) change in tire pressure has been detected in either a stationary, or rolling state. When the TPM system detects a significant loss of tire pressure, the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message is displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. Both the message and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi. The sensor’s pressure range is 0-102 psi. The sensors pressure accuracy from--10 to +70 degrees C is +/- 13.7 kPa (2 psi). Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Place Card, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label .

The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message. For more information on other functions of the RCDLR, refer to Keyless Entry System description and Operation.

Subject: New Black Rubber TPM Valve Stems- keywords air check low message monitor pressure rubber stem tire valve wheel #PIT4190 - (11/21/2006)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, EXT, ESV

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some comments regarding the new 2007 Silverado Sierra full size pickup that it is not equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) because the tire valve stems are black rubber and not the silver metal variety that were initially on the full size utilities.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The new 2007 Silverado Sierra full size pickups have the TPM feature with black rubber valve stems. The full size utilities have changed over to black rubber valve stems during October, 2006. These vehicles still have the TPM Feature.

To recognize a rubber valve stem with TPM, look for the following clues:

• Valve stem cap is longer than most valve stem caps on the market

• A larger than normal amount of exposed brass when the valve stem cap is removed

• Valve stem itself feels thicker and heavier than most rubber valve stems

The valve stem can be detached from the TPM Sensor's electronic housing by removing the attachment screw, and can/should be replaced with a new valve stem at each service event.

The TPM Sensor itself can be retained with the vehicle and re-attached to a new valve stem. The Service Part Kit to replace the Valve including a new screw is Part # 15263240 for all applications. The retaining screw should be torqued to 1.3 N-m (11.5 lb-in).

Note: The spare tire does not have TPM.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Subject: Low Tire Light On And Or DIC Check Tire Pressure Message When Cold - keywords air mil monitor program tpm wheel #PIT3569B - (12/04/2006)

Models: 2004-2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2004-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2007 GMC Sierra

2004-2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

With RPO UJ6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being updated to add models. Please discard PIT3569A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The TPM system is required by law to warn the driver if the tire pressure is below 25% of the tire pressure displayed on the tire placard. It is possible to have one or more cold tires at the trigger point and when warmed up during operation exceed the trigger point. As a rule of thumb, tire pressure will increase 1 psi (6.8 kpa) for every 10 degrees F (5.5 degrees C).

Example: A 2005 Yukon has a tire placard value of 30 psi (206.8 kpa) cold. The customer drives the truck for several miles to get to the service station and the tire temperature is 65 degrees F (18.3 degrees C) when the tire pressure is adjusted. Unknowingly, a pencil style pressure gage that reads 3 psi (20.6 kpa) higher than actual pressure is used.

The vehicle sits outside at night and the ambient temp drops to 20 degrees F (-6.6 degrees C). The actual tire pressure in the morning is 22.5 psi (155.1 kpa), which is right at the borderline where the system is required to warn the driver of low tire pressure.

The customer drives away in the morning and notices a "Low Tire Pressure" message and a Low Tire indicator lit. The light goes out after several miles of driving and the customer does not see the message again until the next morning. The customer thinks there is a problem with the TPM system because they just had the tire pressures checked.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Two things are vitally important in the above example.

• Not all tire pressure gages are accurate

• Tire temperature significantly effects tire pressure.

The tire pressure should be set to the specified pressure at the lowest temperature the vehicle will be operated. Remember tire pressure goes up 1 psi (6.8 kpa) for every 10 degrees F (5.5 degrees C). If you are unsure of tire temperature when you are adjusting pressure, use an infrared temperature tool. If you have a tire temperature of 60 degrees F (15.5 degrees C) and you expect the ambient temperature to reach 20 degrees F (-6.6 degrees C) at night, add 4 psi (27.5 kpa) to the 30 psi (206.8 kpa) and set the tire to 34 psi (234.4 kpa) at 60 degrees F (15.5 degrees C).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a NBS 07 silverado WT

I put 20 inch SS wheels on and now have the service tier pressure ststom message on the DIC

I seen other post about the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) also receiving the TPMS signals.

OK point is other post said this comes as a part which the tpms part has to be turned on

and once on it cannot be turned of by the dealer.

So instead of buying 4 new sensors I want to replace the RCDLR at 79 bucks

does anyone know has this worked?

Archived