Broken exhaust manifold bolts on 6.0

I too have broken exhaust manifold bolts on my 2003 Sierra 2500 HD with 6.0l engine. At least one on each side. I've read earlier posts about guys getting this covered under the 7yr./70,000 emissions warranty. My warranty book says it's only for the 8.1l engine. My local GMC dealer wasn't much help, wouldn't even give me the phone number for customer assistance, told me to look it up myself. Luckily the local Chevy dealer is much more helpful and is looking into it, though he said he's never seen the problem before.

If anyone has any suggestions that would help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

it's not a big problem but it does happen.

if the broken bolts aren't flush with the head it's not that big of a job.

vise grips will usualy take the bolts out. but if they've broken off flush with the head. it get much more difficult in a hurry. ie drilling out the bolts. extractors etc.

the coolant passage is right next to the bolt holes in the head too. so it's easy to ruin a head if your not cairful.

P.S. in high corrosion areas the dipstick tube often breaks trying to get it out.

Good news! The Chevrolet dealer is at this moment replacing the manifolds and bolts covering it at 100%. He only had to make one call to his rep.. Wonder why the GMC dealer across the street couldn't have done that?

Thanks Joe

Good for you Joe138!

Is the dealer fixing it under the 70,000 warranty you mentioned?

I have a 2000 2500 6.0L with a couple broken manifold bolts...have been dreading doing the work myself.

Not sure what warranty they justified using. The dealer's service rep. authorized it at 100%. I know that they changed the bolt specifications starting in 2004 so maybe they realized there was a problem with earlier models. I talked to the tech, he said a couple more broke when trying to remove them. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

I am currenlty experiencing the same problem with my 03' Silverado 2500HD. I have THREE bolts broken on the same side! I have 89,000 miles on the truck and haven't tried bringing it to the dealership yet. I tried taking them out myself but had no luck. It's at a local shop right now. I'm praying it won't be too much to fix.

I took mine to the dealer, they tried to tell me that the manifolds warp and break the bolts, 1300.00 to remove the bolts and replace the manifolds. If you can remove the bolts yourself and you will find that the manifolds are not warped as the dealer said. The two rear bolts are the hardest ones to get to, you will need a angle drill.

I took mine to the dealer, they tried to tell me that the manifolds warp and break the bolts, 1300.00 to remove the bolts and replace the manifolds. If you can remove the bolts yourself and you will find that the manifolds are not warped as the dealer said. The two rear bolts are the hardest ones to get to, you will need a angle drill.

WOW, 1300.00 for that!! If I were you, I would have gotten some aftermarket headers and brought it to a reputable "small mechanic".. You could have gotten away with it MUCH cheaper. I ended up paying $180 for new gaskets and bolts and replaced.

ALL of that is covered under the emissions warranty. If the truck is emitting raw exhaust gas into the air, then the dealer needs to take care of it free of charge while the vehicle is still covered under the 7/70 warranty.. If they refuse, you can contact the EPA customer hotline, and the BBB.

I too have broken exhaust manifold bolts on my 2003 Sierra 2500 HD with 6.0l engine. At least one on each side. I've read earlier posts about guys getting this covered under the 7yr./70,000 emissions warranty. My warranty book says it's only for the 8.1l engine. My local GMC dealer wasn't much help, wouldn't even give me the phone number for customer assistance, told me to look it up myself. Luckily the local Chevy dealer is much more helpful and is looking into it, though he said he's never seen the problem before.

If anyone has any suggestions that would help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've got an '01 6.0l and had to remove the passenger side manifold a couple years ago to replace a broken motor mount. I didn't have a issues with the bolts. I reinstalled them with some anti sieze. Would it be a good idea to replace both side manifold bolts with the new design before I have any break ?

Archived