How do you turn off Headlights?

How do you get you auto headlights to turn off? I need to shut them off when going on base and dont know how.

You turn the switch momentarily to the off position. It will return to auto because it is spring loaded and cannot be left in the off position. The lights willbe turned off. The lights will remain off until you shut off and restart the truck.

How do you get you auto headlights to turn off? I need to shut them off when going on base and dont know how.

You turn the switch momentarily to the off position. It will return to auto because it is spring loaded and cannot be left in the off position. The lights willbe turned off. The lights will remain off until you shut off and restart the truck.

Unfortunately, not on a 2000.

If your truck is an early 2000 then most likely the dome overide trick won't work...

My 99 was like that. There was no way to turn off the auto headlights. :P At least GM learned from that screw up. They went to the dome override thing for part of the 2000s I think and the '01-'02s before allowing you to turn the headlight switch to the left to turn them off on the '03s and later.

Try applying light pressure to the emergency brake and see if that does it...

Had to do it that way on 04 Dodge 2500 truck..

My fiancee`'s '99 Jimmy is like that. There is no factory way to turn off the automatic headlights. Don't really feel like rewiring it or I'd do that.

Try turning the headlight switch to the parking lights. In my 05 I can do that or turn it to the off position and it turns all the lights off. The other way just turns off the headlights. To turn them back on turn the switch back to auto.

TJ.......You in between a rock and a hard place !

99 and early build 00s you cannot to the pushbutton to overide trick.

To disable the DRLs either pull the bulbs or go to http://www.lightsout.org

To disable the auto-on headlights check out this post( I did on my 01)

http://www.fullsizechevy.com

Go to the tech articles links for full instructions.

..............geo

I go on to Ft. Campbell every night with my 99 Silverado, lights blazing bright. I have never had a gate guard say anything about it. I am sure they realize that many people are not able to turn off their lights. They can't give you a ticket for something you can't control. Same for some old cars that didn't come with seatbelts. If they didn't come from the factory with belts then you don't legally have to have them in your car.

Try applying light pressure to the emergency brake and see if that does it...

Had to do it that way on 04 Dodge 2500 truck..

My fiancee`'s '99 Jimmy is like that. There is no factory way to turn off the automatic headlights. Don't really feel like rewiring it or I'd do that.

Yeah but that can cause other issues down the road...Not worth my time to have my fiancee` freaking out about her brakes.

Same for some old cars that didn't come with seatbelts. If they didn't come from the factory with belts then you don't legally have to have them in your car.

Amen to that...My '68 Firebird only came with lap belts in the front seat...The only reason it's going to have 5 point harnesses in the front seat is because it'll be capable of 11's in the quarter...I'll probably move the lap belts to the back seat.

Archived