How many miles do you have on your 6.0 liter motor?

When at full stops, it does not like to catch into first gear and is very difficult to get it initially moving. After that all other gears work fine. Brought into a shop recently and said it needs a full tranny rebuild.

I don't know a whole lot about automatic transmissions but I would imagine that's a torque converter issue....the actual gears/clutches could be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Raptordude

The transmission should be a 4l80e, so a more advanced code reader should be able to get codes from the TCM (computer for the transmission) and tell you if the torque converter is the problem or if it's a solenoid problem or something else.

A rebuilt trans goes for $1800cdn here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (they swap yours for an already rebuilt one, then rebuild yours and pass it on to the next guy)...

• 3 weeks later...

i got 180 k on mine it a 2000 see . I've had it since conception . I've used it hard its been put to the test . never a problem with motor or trans . I've been upgrading it all along . just the normal GM issues its had the knock all along . great truck ill never get rid of it .

I have a 2007 GMC 2500HD 6.0 with 247XXX 3rd owner other than routine maintenance only major hung I've done is TCM which was a pain to get diagnosed with the dealership but after them telling me my truck was fixed it just needed the computer reflashed I went to pull out of the bay with check engine light on and trans stuck in safety mode (I immediately went in and explained just how happy I was with their service. And after I was told it would be a 20-45 min. Wait and no problem) 3 hours later and what was supposed to be an easy fix I finally got them to admit it wasn't fixed I scheduled an appointment for the next day and once again was assured an easy fix and short wait I sat there for another 6 hours and they finally had it figured out and what was supposed to be a quick easy fix was now a $1500 TCM replacement. But enough of my frustrations. That is only major fix and had the dealership had their heads removed from their behind it would have been relatively easy to swallow.

2006 yukon xl denali with the lq4. I have 250000 miles on it.

Tranny has been done but that was because the integrated trans and rad cooler blew which toasted both the trans and rad. now it has external trans cooler.

front diff carrier bearings swapped out.

front wheel bearings replaced.

transfer case replaced (this was before i did stuff myself and before i was learning the mechanics hobby and i think i got screwed on this one)

sticking hinge in the passenger side rear door handle. i oil it and it goes in again when the door closes.

amp went out on the entertainment system, fixed.

oil pressure sensor went out. scared the crap out of me, was deep into the mountains over xmas time. happy it was just the sensor!

water pump started to leak out the weephole. replaced that.

driver side seat bolster is split.

small rust holes starting in the rear passenger side wheel well. this really chokes me up as i take such good car of the truck....i recently ground it down and discovered the pinhole rot was coming from the inside and learned the only way to fix was to cut it out and weld in a new fender piece....that is not going to happen for a while so i will just keep on it for now.

my wife loves the denali xl so much. i like it because its safe and awd for her and the 3 kids in the canadian winters. we will never own a mini van!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2006 yukon xl denali with the lq4. I have 250000 miles on it.

Tranny has been done but that was because the integrated trans and rad cooler blew which toasted both the trans and rad. now it has external trans cooler.

front diff carrier bearings swapped out.

front wheel bearings replaced.

transfer case replaced (this was before i did stuff myself and before i was learning the mechanics hobby and i think i got screwed on this one)

sticking hinge in the passenger side rear door handle. i oil it and it goes in again when the door closes.

amp went out on the entertainment system, fixed.

oil pressure sensor went out. scared the crap out of me, was deep into the mountains over xmas time. happy it was just the sensor!

water pump started to leak out the weephole. replaced that.

driver side seat bolster is split.

small rust holes starting in the rear passenger side wheel well. this really chokes me up as i take such good car of the truck....i recently ground it down and discovered the pinhole rot was coming from the inside and learned the only way to fix was to cut it out and weld in a new fender piece....that is not going to happen for a while so i will just keep on it for now.

my wife loves the denali xl so much. i like it because its safe and awd for her and the 3 kids in the canadian winters. we will never own a mini van!

I agree no mini van ever. If time ever comes and I need more than my extended cab it will be a 3/4 suburban or denali xl. But back to the subject, I have 271000 and going up daily on my 2002 3/4 Silverado 6.0

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

>>small rust holes starting in the rear passenger side wheel well. this really chokes me up as i take such good car of the truck...<<

Don't let it choke you up, rust happens, no matter how great of care we give these vehicles.

• 8 months later...

Just rolled over to 501317 on an 09 2500HD 6.0 gas. Only motor work I’ve done is swapped the alternator out once and the water pump twice. Wanna see what I’ve used it for, google Holmes Auto Transport, LLC on Facebook. 

#holmesautotransport

Thanks

Camimage.thumb.jpg.e864052fe15db4b15adf10da777ea464.jpg

Edited by summithighrise09
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just rolled over to 501317 on an 09 2500HD 6.0 gas. Only motor work I’ve done is swapped the alternator out once and the water pump twice. Wanna see what I’ve used it for, google Holmes Auto Transport, LLC on Facebook. 
#holmesautotransport
Thanks
Camimage.thumb.jpg.e864052fe15db4b15adf10da777ea464.jpg

Awesome[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 quad cab 6.0l. 195,950 miles. So that cold engine knock I'm assuming it's that little tick noise that happens when it first starts up?? Mine just went away after having the cam position sensor replaced. However I was told by the owner of a local mechanic shop that it's caused by a pick up seal in the oil pan. He use to work for GM and has the creds to back it so I was inclined to believe him until it went away with the replacement of a different part. 

So besides my front wheel hubs being replaced 3 years ago? My transfer case 2 years ago? Which was caused by an unnoticeable pin sized hole in the case that wouldn't allow enough fluid to leak out to be measurable on the ground. Front and rear brake pads. Water pump twice because we didn't do the fan clutch the first time. One optima yellow top switched to a red top and now back to a yellow top. 2 sets of tires. (Toyo Open Country AT2's) best tires ever. Swapping interior dome lights to led bulbs. A couple head light bulb replacements. New plugs and wires a couple years ago. Oh and the instrument cluster was replaced right when I bought it. Oh and I had to buy this bracket to put on my exhaust manifold on the drivers side rear because when I bought it a bolt was snapped off and over time it was starting to cause an exhaust leak. And I'm the second owner. Original Arizona truck. Got it with 34k on it. Bought it cheaper than it's value so I now owe what it's worth if not less. Trying to keep it from hitting 200k before it's paid off.

So I have nothing bad to say about my motor. Or the truck in general other than recently some gremlins creeping up out of nowhere that I've made other posts about. I love my truck. And while I may move onto a 2015 or newer diesel version of my truck next year. I believe I will be keeping this one to give to my father in law since I do share it with him while his own vehicle is being used by other family members. It will be hard to let go of this truck seeing as I busted my butt to get myself to a point to where I could finally buy one.

Edited by dizzle6988
Forgot something.