How many miles do you have on your 6.0 liter motor?

My dad drives a '99 Sierra 2500 4x4 ECSB and he has just over 323,000 Km's on it, which is just over 200000 miles. It started out with dual Flowmasters, but just recently after hearing my truck on Dynomax's he has swapped them out because he is not a fan of the huge amount of resonance that the Flowmasters produce. He seems quite a bit happier with the Dynomax, which has similar sound with way less resonance. He hasn't really came across any problems that involve the 6L itself, he had a couple of the exhaust manifold bolts snap off because of a hanger on his exhaust system broke putting a bunch more weight prying on the bolts until they snapped off. He had some front differential seal problems a while back and had to keep adding oil to it for a while. Another thing that has been going on with the truck is the sensor for the fuel gauge reads funny at certain levels on the tank, we are still waiting for a certain conditioner made by Chevron that we read about to make its way up north of the border to put into it. Apparently they had a labeling problem and had to pull it off the shelves before we could get to it (next trip to the states i guess). He is waiting for the GMT-900's to come out with the 6-Speed and the 6L, which I think is what the setup is going to be on the HD's (just what he's looking for. Now, if it was only the Allison...). He seems to be set on the 6L that's for sure. I don't think he'd mind a Duramax, but the price jump is too much to justify when the 6L does the job just fine. Probably even better with the new 6-Speed It's been good for towing its fair share of fifth wheel campers/livestock/flat deck trailers as well as other farm work. Whoops, I seemed to have wandered off topic a little...

Ok I thought about that but why would plugging in my block heater make it better?? Thanks J

You lost me. I didn't think I mentioned anything about a block heater. :banghead: My truck ran like crap after sitting out overnight and I was just saying that after driving it awhile and getting the engine up to temperature, it ran fine. Replacing the intake gasket cured it. :confused:

I was just adding that about the block heater!Thanks for your suggestion,I will be checking that gasket out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

2001 1500 HD. around 93-94 K. No major problems, only thing is speakers keep busting. Yes they are OEM and no I don't have an amp. Any ideas? I plan to replace them with aftermarket speakers soon. Will I need an amp to push them, or should I be fine with just with the radio?

01 2500HD 4X4 @ 120,000 miles. Has cold start knock. It develped a bad case of spark knock around 100,000, but I began running 93 octane fuel and it only does it under heavy acceleration now. Burns about a quart of oil every 3000 miles, but that's in Dallas stop and go traffic everyday :crackup: . I just moved away from Dallas, so my driving habits will change and I bet it won't burn that much oil anymore.

Overall, I'm 90% happy with the engine.

When I was doing research before buying my truck I found an RV transport company here in indiana that had the 6.0 vortec in all their trucks and averaging about 350k before they had to replace the truck. Nothing more than regular maintenance and the occasional fuel pump.

I'm going to see if I can find that article again and see where they are now.