REMOVAL OF DOOR PANELS

02Z71RC

My truck is an 05 so not sure if all this will apply to your 02.

Start at the upper forward corner, there should be a triangle plastic piece that can be pulled off. This covers up the wires and bolt on points for your side view mirror.

Next pry out the sliding lock, just use a small screw driver and it comes out.

Look to the rear and under the door pull handle, there should be a bolt head visible. It is 7mm and needs to be removed.

Up where you removed the slide lock there is also a visible bolt at 7mm remove this.

Mid way down on the front side there is a push in pin. Use a screw driver and then some plyers to pull out this plug.

At the rear of the door mid way down there is what appears to be another plug. This one is a cover over a bolt, so pry off the cover. The bolt under it is one of those funny star type, I think some call them a torgue bit. Remove this bolt.

Then simply lift the panel up and remove all the wiring behind it so you can set the panel aside.

As I side this is how I removed my 05 panels, not sure if all will apply to an 02 but figured it might be helpful since you didn't have any responses yet.

Have a nice day.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I just replaced the door handles from stock black to the painted with chrome, and the door removal was a breeze. I was rather intimidated at first but followed 05 Quadrasteer's steps and it was simple. I was amazed how easy it was to remove...you may want a buddy to help hold the door while you unplug the wiring from the door (in the event you have power locks, windows, heated seats, etc.,) but other than that it was very easy.

My son and I just replaced the door handles from stock black to the painted with chrome, and the door removal was a breeze. I was rather intimidated at first but followed 05 Quadrasteer's steps and it was simple. I was amazed how easy it was to remove...you may want a buddy to help hold the door while you unplug the wiring from the door (in the event you have power locks, windows, heated seats, etc.,) but other than that it was very easy.

Thanks for the tip GMCStepSide,I will get my son to help.

• 1 month later...

New User and need some help. Just returned from dealer where door lock was punched out. This allows door to be opened AND alarm disabled (it's essentially a mechanical alarm??) has anyone seen a blank kit to replace the lock. They just hit it with a screwdriver to break the plastic and everything is gone. Vegas baby!!!

HELP.

I just went through this reading the great info on this site. I didn't have a buddy but in my case a 5 gallon bucket worked like a champ to rest the door on while I unplugged the wires. The main wire block for the door controls has a sliding bracket that simply has a push in on the bottom. I also found it easier to pop out the interior light on the rear of the door. I have to say the standard radio/cd player with four speakers -- those speakers SUCK. I replaced with 4-way pioneers and I'm much happier -- they fit right in the stock assembly -- 6.5 rounds. This is on an 06 Sierra 4x4 CC. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
New User and need some help. Just returned from dealer where door lock was punched out. This allows door to be opened AND alarm disabled (it's essentially a mechanical alarm??) has anyone seen a blank kit to replace the lock. They just hit it with a screwdriver to break the plastic and everything is gone. Vegas baby!!!

HELP.

i just had the same thing happen to my 05 silverado. can you replace just the lock or do you have to buy thed whole door handle?

Stockton chevy

• 2 weeks later...

Need similar help on removing panel on a 98' interior handle wont open door but will still from the outside neither handle broke so its something inside any help would be great.

thanks

• 1 year later...
Need similar help on removing panel on a 98' interior handle wont open door but will still from the outside neither handle broke so its something inside any help would be great.

thanks

I have the exact same issue on my 98 Tahoe,, I'll let you know what I find

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived