Photo
- - - - -

2006 Z71 Drum Brakes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 the hammer

the hammer

Enthusiast

• 514 posts
  • Drives:2006 Silverado Z71

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hey all,

Two Questions:
1. I just replaced the rear drum shoes on my 06 CC Z71. Should I replace the drums also?

2. Do the drum shoes self-adjust, or do I need to go back and adjust them using the star adjuster?

Thanks,
Josh

#2 Chanks7

Chanks7

Enthusiast

• 60 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

Hey all,

Two Questions:
1. I just replaced the rear drum shoes on my 06 CC Z71. Should I replace the drums also?

2. Do the drum shoes self-adjust, or do I need to go back and adjust them using the star adjuster?

Thanks,
Josh

I would adjust the star adjuster out just until friction can be felt on the drum. They can self adjust but only when the e-brake is set, so set and release the e-brake a few times after adjusting the star adjuster and you should be ok.
2003 Z71 Ext Cab LT 5.3
1994 Mustang GT
1993 SVT Supercharged Lightning
Posted Image

#3 asilverblazer

asilverblazer

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,636 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hey all,

Two Questions:

Thanks,
Josh

I would adjust the star adjuster out just until friction can be felt on the drum. They can self adjust but only when the e-brake is set, so set and release the e-brake a few times after adjusting the star adjuster and you should be ok.

New brakes on an 06? How many miles were on them, that doersn't sem like very much. Especially for drum brakes. They used to last the life of the vehicle.
1955 Chevrolet 4400 1 1/2ton Stake Bed
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab LT Z-71 5.3L 4x4 BLACK
Signal Mirrors, Chrome Covers, Chrome Door Handles, Painted Bow-Ties, Painted Mirror Housings, Painted Tailgate Handle Bezel, Chrome Tailgate Handle, Leveling Kit, Kenwood DDX616 Headunit, Infinity 6022i speakers powered by Alpine Amp, Alpine Subs powered by Alpine Amp, Tinted Windows, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Dale Jr. Cannons, Dueler A/T Revos

Posted Image

#4 the hammer

the hammer

Enthusiast

• 514 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Would it be possible to adjust the brakes by driving in reverse and and applying the e-brake? I remember that was how to do it in the vette I used to have (of course that was to adjust the e-brake itself, but that e-brake should have had the same concept the truck's regular drums). What do you think? The brake won;t self adjust from driving normally?

#5 the hammer

the hammer

Enthusiast

• 514 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

ttt

#6 Chanks7

Chanks7

Enthusiast

• 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

if the self adjuster is installed and working properly setting the e-brake a few times will adjust it.
2003 Z71 Ext Cab LT 5.3
1994 Mustang GT
1993 SVT Supercharged Lightning
Posted Image

#7 cdmm151

cdmm151

Enthusiast

• 166 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

I have an 05 GMC crew cab with 48000 miles on it and when I replaced the tires I had the drums turned because they where giving a bad vibration while stopping. while the drums where off I noticed the shoes where almost worn out while the front pads looked almost new. I would have replaced them but nobody is able to get them other than a dealer and I did not want to pay $150 for the back set. I will wait until they are totally gone before I'll replace them. Unless some body knows where to get them cheaper.

#8 the hammer

the hammer

Enthusiast

• 514 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

Hey, I ordered a set od PG Plus Raybestos pads. I will look up the number and post it. It should be the same one for your truck (unless it is a 2500 or 3500, they may be different). I think I ordered them from rockauto.com.

I have an 05 GMC crew cab with 48000 miles on it and when I replaced the tires I had the drums turned because they where giving a bad vibration while stopping. while the drums where off I noticed the shoes where almost worn out while the front pads looked almost new. I would have replaced them but nobody is able to get them other than a dealer and I did not want to pay $150 for the back set. I will wait until they are totally gone before I'll replace them. Unless some body knows where to get them cheaper.

#9 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

Backing up and applying the brakes automatically adjusts the drum brakes. The hand brake has no effect on the adjuster.

#10 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,206 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Backing up and applying the brakes automatically adjusts the drum brakes. The hand brake has no effect on the adjuster.

That's what I thought too because on every other vehicle I ever owned with rear drum brakes, this is how the self-adjusters worked.

#11 Clavin78

Clavin78

Enthusiast

• 472 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

I did not know that the Z71 had drum brakes
Posted Image

2003 4.3L Silverado
K&N FIPK Air Intake System
Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor
Flowmaster 40 Orginial Series Cat Back Exhaust
Wait4me Tune

#12 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,206 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

I did not know that the Z71 had drum brakes

All '05 and '06 models, do not know about '07s.