2006 Z71 Drum Brakes

the hammer

Question

Hey all,

Two Questions:

1. I just replaced the rear drum shoes on my 06 CC Z71. Should I replace the drums also?

2. Do the drum shoes self-adjust, or do I need to go back and adjust them using the star adjuster?

Thanks,

Josh

0 answers to this question

Hey, I ordered a set od PG Plus Raybestos pads. I will look up the number and post it. It should be the same one for your truck (unless it is a 2500 or 3500, they may be different). I think I ordered them from rockauto.com.

I have an 05 GMC crew cab with 48000 miles on it and when I replaced the tires I had the drums turned because they where giving a bad vibration while stopping. while the drums where off I noticed the shoes where almost worn out while the front pads looked almost new. I would have replaced them but nobody is able to get them other than a dealer and I did not want to pay $150 for the back set. I will wait until they are totally gone before I'll replace them. Unless some body knows where to get them cheaper.

I have an 05 GMC crew cab with 48000 miles on it and when I replaced the tires I had the drums turned because they where giving a bad vibration while stopping. while the drums where off I noticed the shoes where almost worn out while the front pads looked almost new. I would have replaced them but nobody is able to get them other than a dealer and I did not want to pay $150 for the back set. I will wait until they are totally gone before I'll replace them. Unless some body knows where to get them cheaper.

Hey all,

Two Questions:

1. I just replaced the rear drum shoes on my 06 CC Z71. Should I replace the drums also?

2. Do the drum shoes self-adjust, or do I need to go back and adjust them using the star adjuster?

Thanks,

Josh

I would adjust the star adjuster out just until friction can be felt on the drum. They can self adjust but only when the e-brake is set, so set and release the e-brake a few times after adjusting the star adjuster and you should be ok.

Hey all,

Two Questions:

Thanks,

Josh

I would adjust the star adjuster out just until friction can be felt on the drum. They can self adjust but only when the e-brake is set, so set and release the e-brake a few times after adjusting the star adjuster and you should be ok.

New brakes on an 06? How many miles were on them, that doersn't sem like very much. Especially for drum brakes. They used to last the life of the vehicle.

Would it be possible to adjust the brakes by driving in reverse and and applying the e-brake? I remember that was how to do it in the vette I used to have (of course that was to adjust the e-brake itself, but that e-brake should have had the same concept the truck's regular drums). What do you think? The brake won;t self adjust from driving normally?

Backing up and applying the brakes automatically adjusts the drum brakes. The hand brake has no effect on the adjuster.

That's what I thought too because on every other vehicle I ever owned with rear drum brakes, this is how the self-adjusters worked.

Archived