Adding bluetooth (2007)?

The one thing I'm really disappointed in GM for not including in the new Silverado is Bluetooth. I assume it's done as to not take sales away from their own OnStar system, but this should be standard on every auto on the market today.

I know that Alpine has kits that work with some of their newer head units to add Bluetooth, but are there any options for the stock 2007 head unit?

I've got a Garmin GPS which has Bluetooth built in, but I'd like another option...

• 1 month later...
The one thing I'm really disappointed in GM for not including in the new Silverado is Bluetooth. I assume it's done as to not take sales away from their own OnStar system, but this should be standard on every auto on the market today.

I know that Alpine has kits that work with some of their newer head units to add Bluetooth, but are there any options for the stock 2007 head unit?

I've got a Garmin GPS which has Bluetooth built in, but I'd like another option...

The best that can be done at this point with a factory head unit is to get a aftermarket Bluetooth kit like the Parrot or a Motorola. There are kits out there that will connect those bluetooth kits to your stereo speakers (they mute the stereo and allow you to use the volume controls on the steering wheel)

Check this site out, it's called an OnStar lockpick...it's as close as you can get:

http://www.coastaletech.com/ONSTAR.htm

Thanks. I saw this on the Parrot on Engadget a few days ago""

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/16/parrot-...etooth-car-kit/

I assumed that it was all you needed. What does the CoastalTech unit add? Just the ability to plug it in without splicing as many wires? Using the Onstar mic instead of the one in the bluetooth kit?

How are these Parrot or Motorola units mounted in the vehicle?

Like I said, I've got a Garmin GPS with bluetooth, but the speakers are nowhere near as loud as the OnStar, and I've had people complain about not being able to hear me very well, so going through the built in OnStar hardware would probably be better.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I forget who I had contacted (Parrot or the Lockpick guys), but they said that the Parrot would use it's own mic, and not that of the Onstar.

I don't really like how the Parrot units have a corded Mic. I'd like to use the OnStar mic, or at least find a Parrot (or similar) kit with the Mic on the unit itself.

• 2 years later...

From what I can see this unit uses the parrot and intergrates into the factory system. All around not cheap but seems to intergrate with on-star etc.

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?P...p;CategoryID=25

My Favorite I plan to get in few months is the sirus conversion unit to get serius and bail XM. This way I can have the truck on my subcription for only $7.00 per month!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Periph.../19/kPZFeJyyyMU

The best that can be done at this point with a factory head unit is to get a aftermarket Bluetooth kit like the Parrot or a Motorola. There are kits out there that will connect those bluetooth kits to your stereo speakers (they mute the stereo and allow you to use the volume controls on the steering wheel)

Check this site out, it's called an OnStar lockpick...it's as close as you can get:

http://www.coastaletech.com/ONSTAR.htm

Be very careful using CoastalTech products......their customer service sucks......they don't answer emails or phone calls.....lots of negative feedback from people on this forum and many other GM vehicle forums.....I will never do business with them again.

• 2 years later...

I bought a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali, my request of the dealership of purchase was a fully integrated bluetooth (I was to play media not just make calls). Since I have a Droid Razr this would be easy if the car had the hardware. None of the posts I have read mention the ability to play media. They took my car to Car Toys and put in an Advent UBTSW2 unit. This only makes phone calls and no media play option. Obviously I am NOT happy with this situation. Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth option for this vehicle THAT PLAYS MEDIA??

I cannot seem to find one on my own and I feel like I have looked everywhere. This is the ONLY thing my new mom mobile is lacking...!

Google is your friend here. Just search for Bluetooth that supports A2DP streaming. I found a few listings but I have no idea of the quality. And yes, the OE Bluetooth is phone calls only.

I bought a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali, my request of the dealership of purchase was a fully integrated bluetooth (I was to play media not just make calls). Since I have a Droid Razr this would be easy if the car had the hardware. None of the posts I have read mention the ability to play media. They took my car to Car Toys and put in an Advent UBTSW2 unit. This only makes phone calls and no media play option. Obviously I am NOT happy with this situation. Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth option for this vehicle THAT PLAYS MEDIA??

I cannot seem to find one on my own and I feel like I have looked everywhere. This is the ONLY thing my new mom mobile is lacking...!

Advent BT is a P.O.S. IMO...

Only one we use for plug and play in GM vehicles is BlueFusion. It's kind of hit and miss with BT voice quality, but it seems work best with iPhones.

I hear Best Buy.com has it for $99...

Archived