Synthetic oil & gear oil ?

I have 2006 chevy ext cab 4x4 w/t 4.8 --- I was going to change rear diff oil but it already has synthetic oil in it from factory so why should i change it ? and how many qts does it hold ? what weight gear oil for rear ? and what weight gear oil for front diff ? how many qts of oil does the 4.8 engine hold ? did any of you guys change your front diff oil i know it's not used alot so didn't know if it needed it ?

Thanks for the help, Rodney

Your owners manual will tell you how many qts your enhine holds. But the 4.8 should hold 5 qts. As for your diff fluids you should not need to change them for a long time if its an 06. I have a 99 and my fluids on my front have never been done, I did my rear only because I exploded my rear end. And i used sae 80w 90 for rear diff fluids and only like 2.4 qts or so. It works out to bee to bottles. Then you drive your truck for awhile and check it again and add as needed. Now I have the 5.3 v8 in mine so not sure what yours is gonna be. But hopefully I helped you alittle bit. If not hope you get what you need to no figured out. This is basic information but for specific check your manual or call your dealer.

Rear ends break in over the first 5k miles or so and there is a lot of metal particles in the gear lube (lots of gear mesh). Some folks like to get all that metal out of the banjo and replace it with fresh oil.

DEWFPO

Rodney, it is a good idea to change out the rear diff oil if you have done any heavy towing or hauling. Like dewfpo stated above you have breakin and wear metals that float around and the magnet inside gets full. It is a good idea to change out the oil and clean the magnet then you will be good to go for a while. Below is what is listed for you vehicle. 6qts for the engine with a filter change. The front diff will take 2qts and the rear will take a little over 2 so you need to get 5 qts total of 75w-90 and you will be set.

2006 CHEVROLET TRUCKS SILVERADO 1500 PICKUP 4.8L 8-cyl Engine Code V

FILTERS

Oil Filter........ EAO32 AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter

Oil Filter........ 51042 WIX 51042 Oil Filter (O)

Air Filter........ EAA121 AMSOIL Ea Air Filter [1]

Air Filter........ 42488 WIX 42488 Air Filter (O) [1]

Air Filter........ EAA123 AMSOIL Ea Air Filter [2]

Air Filter........ 42487 WIX 42487 Air Filter (O) [2]

Fuel Filter........ NS

Trans Filter........ 58608 WIX 58608 Auto Tran Filter (O) [3]

Trans Filter........ 58904 WIX 58904 Trans Filter (S) [4]

1. Heavy Duty

2. Lt. Duty

3. 4L80-E

4. 4L60E - If deep pan, use 58847

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS

Engine Oil

Grade 1......API*

Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil

SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil

All Temps......5W-30[1]

Below -20°F......0W-30

Manual Transmission,NV3500.....GLS[2]

AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Automatic Transmission.....AF6

Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Differential, Front .....GL-5[3]

80W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

Standard Differential, Rear .....GL-5[4]

75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

Transfer Case,NVG 263-NP1.....AF3

Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)

Transfer Case,NVG 149-NP3.....AF3

Transfer Case,NVG 261-NP2.....AF3

Transfer Case,NVG 246-NP8.....SLF[5]

No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

Fluids

Power Steering Fluid.....PS

Brake Fluid.....HB

Clutch Fluid.....HB

1. SAE 5W-30 is preferred.

2. GLS is a special gear lube, GM part no. 12345349.

3. 80W-90 GL-5 is a synthetic lube; GM part no. 1052271.

4. Synthetic lubricant, GM part no. 12378261, specification

No. 9986115.

5. SLF is GM part no. 12378508 (U.S.), 10953626 (CAN).

CHASSIS LUBRICATION

Two-wheel drive

6 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LB

Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease

Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

Four-wheel drive

11 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LB

Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease

Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

CAPACITIES

Engine, with filter..........6.0 quarts[1]

Cooling System, AT W/ Front AC Engine Fan Initial Fill..........15.0 quarts

Cooling System, AT W/ Front AC Elect Fan Initial Fill..........17.0 quarts

Cooling System, MT W/ Front AC Engine Fan Initial Fill..........16.0 quarts

Cooling System, MT W/ Front AC Elect Fan Initial Fill..........17.0 quarts

Automatic Transmission, 4L80E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, 4L60E Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, 4L85E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

4 speed 4L60E/65E..........11.0 quarts

4 speed 4L80E/85E..........14.0 quarts

4 speed 4L70E..........11.0 quarts

Manual Transmission, NV3500 (SEC)..........4.9 pints[3]

Differential, with 8.25 ring gear Front..........3.0 pints

Differential, with 9.25 ring gear Front..........3.7 pints

Differential, with 9.50 ring gear Rear..........5.5 pints

Differential, with 8.6 ring gear Rear..........4.2 pints

Differential, with 9.75 ring gear Rear..........6.0 pints

Differential, with 10.50 ring gear Rear..........5.5 pints

Differential, with 11.50 ring gear Rear..........6.3 pints

Transfer Case,NVG 263-NP1..........4.0 pints

Transfer Case,NVG 261-NP2..........4.0 pints

Transfer Case,NVG 246-NP8..........4.0 pints

Transfer Case,NVG 149-NP3..........4.4 pints

1. After refill check oil level.

2. With the ENG at operating TEMP, shift TRANS

through all gears. Let ENG slow idle in PARK for at

least 3 minutes. Check fluid level and add fluid as needed.

Do not overfill.

3. Approximate, fill to level of fill plug.

TORQUES

Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft-lbs

Transfer case NVG263-NP1

Fill Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Drain Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Transfer case NVG261-NP2

Fill Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Drain Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Transfer case NVG246-NP8

Fill Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Drain Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Transfer case NVG149-NP3

Fill Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Drain Plug.....15 ft-lbs

Manual Transmission NV3500

Fill Plug.....22 ft-lbs

Drain Plug.....22 ft-lbs

Rear ends break in over the first 5k miles or so and there is a lot of metal particles in the gear lube (lots of gear mesh). Some folks like to get all that metal out of the banjo and replace it with fresh oil.

DEWFPO

Agreed,Thats what I do,change my rear-end fluid around 3k then about every 10-15k after that for as long as I own it.

My '04 has just under 30k on it now and I've already changed the rear-end fluid twice (At 3 and 15k) and I've also changed the front rear-end and transfer-case fluid once,also at 15k.

I use all GM fluids...Synthetic 75W-90 in the rear,regular 80W-90 in the front and Auto-Trak II in the transfer case.

DEWFPO

Agreed,Thats what I do,change my rear-end fluid around 3k then about every 10-15k after that for as long as I own it.

My '04 has just under 30k on it now and I've already changed the rear-end fluid twice (At 3 and 15k) and I've also changed the front rear-end and transfer-case fluid once,also at 15k.

I use all GM fluids...Synthetic 75W-90 in the rear,regular 80W-90 in the front and Auto-Trak II in the transfer case.

This is an overkill for normal driving. I would do it that often only if I was constantly towing heavy trailers with the truck. One discouraging factor here is the ridiculous price of the GM rear end synthetic oil. $ 20/quart? What is the markup on this stuff?

DEWFPO

This is an overkill for normal driving. I would do it that often only if I was constantly towing heavy trailers with the truck. One discouraging factor here is the ridiculous price of the GM rear end synthetic oil. $ 20/quart? What is the markup on this stuff?

Yea,It might be overkill,but I feel better getting all the metal particles out like dewfpo said and keeping fresh fluids in the truck. Call it "piece of mind" if you will.

As far as price I don't really have to worry about that,with me working at a dealership I can usually end up with the fluids at little or no cost to me,and I do all the work myself so theres no labor cost involved.

OK-- so i should use the same weight (75w90) gear oil in front and rear diff ? a service guy at the stealership told me if i change my rear diff i need to add a friction addg. ? how often should i change transfer case and transmission fluid and should i do the total fluid change 11qts. I think i'm going with Royal Purple Synethic oil - useing a GM oil filter how often should i change the engine oil 5,6,7K's miles ??? Thanks for your help

:flag:

OK-- so i should use the same weight (75w90) gear oil in front and rear diff ? a service guy at the stealership told me if i change my rear diff i need to add a friction addg. ? how often should i change transfer case and transmission fluid and should i do the total fluid change 11qts. I think i'm going with Royal Purple Synethic oil - useing a GM oil filter how often should i change the engine oil 5,6,7K's miles ??? Thanks for your help

:flag:

Yes, 75w90 synthethic will work just fine in both pumpkins. you don't need to add a friction modifier if you are using synthetic gear lube and have the stock G80 locker.

DEWFPO

Archived