Fueling problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lost_in_alabama

lost_in_alabama

Enthusiast

• 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

I have a 2004 Avalanche. When I try to put gas into the tank any faster than a slow trickle, the pump cuts off. It seems like the line just won't take the gas any faster than the slowest possible flow rate. I've seen this at several different stations, so it isn't the pumps.

Any ideas?

#2 HuntingEd

HuntingEd

Enthusiast

• 144 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

maybe your putting the pump nossel too far into the tank. Ive had that happen before, if you put it too far in the back pressure causes it to trigger...
2007 NBS Silverado Z71 LTZ 1500 CC
6.0L VMax, 3.73, 18" AL Rims w/ Deuler A/T
Ebony Leather Interior/Greystone Metallic Ext.

Addons:
Carriage Works Billet Grille Insert
SSU High Beams

1994 CK2500 - 200k Miles
6.5L Turbo Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
Sky Blue Ext.

#3 BOBCAT5544

BOBCAT5544

Enthusiast

• 913 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

Document ID# 1811902
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - 4WD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Premature Pump Shut Off When Refueling - keywords 4.3 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 fill filler fuel hard hardtofill L18 L33 L35 L59 L76 LC9 LM7 LMG LQ4 LQ9 LR4 LY5 nozzle #PIT3961 - (04/05/2006)

Models: 2002-2007 Cadillac Escalade Models
2002-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
1999-2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models

Equipped with a Gasoline Engine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that when refueling at certain fuel stations / pumps that the fuel pump shuts off prior to completely filling the fuel tank. This is not a concern with the GM fuel system but is an industry wide issue with variation in OPW 11B fuel nozzles throughout the fuel station industry.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Until the fuel station industry can replace these nozzles with an improved versions, advise customers with this concern to try either another pump and/or another fuel station.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Automotive Back Ground ASE Certified Master Tech, GM Certified Master Tech, GM Certified Advance Master Engine Proformance, GM Certified Advance Master Electronics and Programing

Posted Image
2002 Silverado 2500hd 496 8.1L 4x4 Custom fit Magna Charger and Costum tune done my self, 5 speed Allison 1000 stage 4 ATS Billet Transmission with ATS CoPilot Electronic Transmission Controller, 3 inch lift. Super Swamper LTB Tires 33 x 13.50 on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Rims 16x10, Westin wheel to wheel step bars and brush guard, double roll single kicker roll bars. 4 kc lights on brush guard and 8 kc lights on the roll bar

Posted Image
1978 VETTE With ZZ383 Crate Engine, Weiland 6-71 Blower, 2 Holley 750 Carbs, 9 Ford 40 Spline, Strange Spool, 40 Spline Axels, Gun Drilled, Strange Alum Center Section, Big Pinion, 4.11 Richmond Pro Gear

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ME
JONESY'S MYSPACE PAGE

#4 SilveradoLAX7

SilveradoLAX7

Enthusiast

• 386 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

Document ID# 1811902
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - 4WD
Subject: Premature Pump Shut Off When Refueling - keywords 4.3 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 fill filler fuel hard hardtofill L18 L33 L35 L59 L76 LC9 LM7 LMG LQ4 LQ9 LR4 LY5 nozzle #PIT3961 - (04/05/2006)

Models: 2002-2007 Cadillac Escalade Models
2002-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
1999-2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models

Equipped with a Gasoline Engine

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that when refueling at certain fuel stations / pumps that the fuel pump shuts off prior to completely filling the fuel tank. This is not a concern with the GM fuel system but is an industry wide issue with variation in OPW 11B fuel nozzles throughout the fuel station industry.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Until the fuel station industry can replace these nozzles with an improved versions, advise customers with this concern to try either another pump and/or another fuel station.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

You don't need another pump or station...like HuntingEd stated, just don't put the nozzle in so far.
-Jay
My Truck: '05 Silverado 1500 LS RCSB V8

Mods: Dual pipes out the back, spray in liner, toolchest, bed-rails, billet grill, a deep tint and XM Radio

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 lost_in_alabama

lost_in_alabama

Enthusiast

• 37 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

You don't need another pump or station...like HuntingEd stated, just don't put the nozzle in so far.
-Jay

=================================================

That's not it. If I pull the nozzle back out any farther, I'll be spraying gas on the ground.

I don't have this problem, with the same pumps, with my Suburban or Silverado, just the Avalanche.

#6 HuntingEd

HuntingEd

Enthusiast

• 144 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Must be what bobcat said, maybed try putting it in further or look into some type of aftermarket fuel tank... I dont have an avalanche so i cant help to much...
2007 NBS Silverado Z71 LTZ 1500 CC
6.0L VMax, 3.73, 18" AL Rims w/ Deuler A/T
Ebony Leather Interior/Greystone Metallic Ext.

Addons:
Carriage Works Billet Grille Insert
SSU High Beams

1994 CK2500 - 200k Miles
6.5L Turbo Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
Sky Blue Ext.

#7 luthor

luthor

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

maybe your putting the pump nossel too far into the tank. Ive had that happen before, if you put it too far in the back pressure causes it to trigger..

It was the same problem that i have encountered with my GM fuel tank, don't put the pump nossel too far into the tank... or much better if your going to replace it, a aftermarket fuel tank would do.

#8 pastorscott

pastorscott

Enthusiast

• 280 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Dont feel bad

I have a 04 burb and had the same exact problem. Everyone told me to do this, do that, it turns out to be the gas station. Speaking about gas tanks I had mine replaced by the dealer under warrenty. Everytime I filled it it would over fill and leak our of the tank by the sender. they tried to fix it 3 times until that gas tank was done. Have to wait a see if thats it as im picking it up today.

Scott
Please review the Site rules (Site rule #9)
Signatures to be under 5 lines.

#9 CAMHEAD

CAMHEAD

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

I GOT THE SAME PROB. WITH FUELING MY 2005 8.1 DUALLY! IT TAKE 1/2 HOUR TO FILL THE DANG THANG UP, ITS CONSTANTLY SHUTING OFF THE FUEL NOZZEL. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER BEEN ABLE TO GET FUEL IN IT HALF WAY FAST IS BY PUMPING IT IN FROM THE BED MOUNTED AUX. FUEL CELL. IT SUCKS NOT TO BE ABLE TO PULL UP AND PUMP GAS LIKE NORMAL. MOST OF THE TIME I FILL UP THE FUEL CELL AND FORCE FEED THE TRUCK TANK WITH THE FUEL CELL ELECTIC PUMP. THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY. HOW CAN I JUST BYPASS THE EVP CAN??

#10 jimmypsp700

jimmypsp700

Enthusiast

• 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

its most likely the solinoid valve at the tank /filler hose or the Evaporator canister is blocked up.
The dealer told me there was a TSB on this. Its not the occational gas pump clicking off but clicking off every second! Can't hardy pump any gas.

Jim

http://chevyavalanch...w;topicseen#new

http://www.chevyaval...g65336#msg65336

Edited by jimmypsp700, 17 January 2012 - 08:43 PM.

Jim

'04 Avalanche Z71 1500
'90 Corvette L98 TPI

#11 Big D's H D

Big D's H D

Enthusiast

• 96 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

My '09 HD does the same thing but only at some stations. Then I got a SES code and took it to the dealer to see what it was? Evap sol. they fixed it and I asked if that could have been my fuel slow
problem? they said yes. Went to the station later where it has had the slow fill problem and....
Yep still clicks off. Other stations it's fine?? Now the problem with pulling the nozzel out is some of
the stations now have that large vapor recovery hose and if you don't push the hose tight to the filler neck the fuel won't flow !

#12 Chris

Chris

My life is a progress bar

• 10,875 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Drives:2004 GMC Sierra

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Well in california my truck does this, but because of emissions and bad air we have vapor recovery nozzles so id too much builds up it clicks off

6-11sig_zpse7c754a5.jpg
2004 GMC SIERRA 1500 EXTENDED CAB SHORT BED, DARK SPIRAL GRAY METALLIC, LQ9 6.0 LITER V-8, TUNED BY BLACK BEAR PERFORMANCE, 2.5" LEVEL, 2500HD REAR LEAFS, FLUIDYNE THERM-HX TRANS COOLER, CHROME SILVERADO SS WHEELS, VOLANT INTAKE, CORSA SPORT, 05+ E-FANS, ESCALADE GAUGE BEZEL ON SS GAUGES, DC POWER 300 AMP ALTERNATOR

BUILD: http://www.gm-trucks...formance-build/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users