O2 Sensor

I did some searching on here and I really didn't find a specific brand of O2 sensor. What does everyone get when ever the time comes to replace your O2 sensor? Bosch? NGK? AC Delco? Just trying to find out what one to go with since mine is getting mileage on it and over the past year my fuel economy has dropped.

Thanks.

I have found that the AC delco O2 sensors lasted the longest on my Camaro. I have run Bosch before, and did not have any problems, but did notice that they did not hold up as well as the AC Delcos on my Supercharged 1995 Z28. jJust my 2 cents.

Nick, as you may know, AC Delco does not mfg oxy sensors, they simply market and distribute them. More than likely your '02 model came from the factory with either Bosch or NTK (an NGK product). Bosch is our (CARQUEST) exclusive supplier currently but we are making a slight change in the near future. We will now be supplying the exact OE replacement which will be supplied to us by either Bosch, NTK or Denso depending on the application. In other words, if the veh came from the OE with an NTK O2 sensor that is what will be in our box.

I can tell you that we have been very happy with Bosch, they make an exellent product and are OE on a large portion of the market. However, our direction is supply exact OE in every case if avail.

I would tell you to go with Bosch from us or someone else who sells Bosch. You will not be disapointed. Be aware, when you take them out of the box, they will appear to be used. This is because the 100% test every O2 they make and this burn in process makes them look used.

Hope this helps you.

I changed to Bosch at about 85K and I have 100K on the Bosch and they are still holding up well. Mine did not set codes but my mileage dropped almost 2mpg over 6 months so I figured they were getting lazy in their old age. Mileage went right back up after replacing.

C & As Dad, Thanks.

Just a quick question, I called the dealer just for curiosity sake and asked for a price on the O2's for my truck. They asked for the Vin to get the right application. Is it that critical? I wouldn't think so.

Thanks for everyones help. :flag:

C & As Dad, Thanks.

Just a quick question, I called the dealer just for curiosity sake and asked for a price on the O2's for my truck. They asked for the Vin to get the right application. Is it that critical? I wouldn't think so.

Thanks for everyones help. :flag:

Yes, it can be critical since there were different HP/TQ ratings for some years for the 5.3L.

I agree with C&A's dad, you can't go wrong with Bosch, NTK and Denso.

DEWFPO

Well I went to Carquest and got the O2 sensors. Turns out what the book calls for and what I have on my truck is different. The Bosch that I got have a flat 4 plug connector and I need the square 4 plug connector. So I guess it is back to CQ tomorrow to change them out, and with my luck they will have to order them because they had to order one of the two I needed this time. My truck has Denso in it now and it had Denso spark plugs in it as well. Until tomorrow. :flag:

Nick, I hope you got this staightened out today. I am sorry I did not see this earlier, I could have offered some assistance.

I just looked the O2 s up for your truck and there are a couple of options. The code 7 and the code T (made in Canada version) both take the same O2, a 75-1900 and the plug is square. Of course there are two, one in front of the cat and one behind and on this applicaton they both are the same.

The Code T (exc made in Canada) takes two different part #s. The one before the cat is a 75-1849 and is and uses a flat plug. The one after the cat is a 75-1726 and it has a square plug. Bosch also lists a Universal O2 which does not have a plug on it at all. The plug comes in a sep bag and you have to install it or use your old one. We do not like these and do our best not to sell them.

It sounds like the CounterPro simply did not ask you enough questions and gave you the ones listed for the Code T (exc made in Canada).

If you did not get this corrected today, PM me and I will give you my # so you can call me.

Sorry you have had the trouble.

Hopefully this will help others that are looking at changing out their O2 sensors. Here is what I found out, my truck was made in Canada and takes the square plug O2 sensor Carquest PN 75-1900. So if you are looking at changing them out and don't go to the dealer with your VIN make sure you know the origin of manufacture of you vehicle. Not only did the plug look different the tip of the sensor was different than the others listed with a different plug. Not sure if it makes a difference, it must or why would they manufacture them different. Anyway all went well, the old ones came off easy with an open end 7/8" wrench and the new ones went on with a little antiseize on the threads. Now to see if my mileage goes up.

C & A s Dad, thanks for all the help. I live in a small town, population 500, it is your typical one stoplight town with a bank and a Piggly Wiggly. I'm lucky to have a Carquest as well. I use to live right next to it. It was really nice to be able to just walk over and get what I needed. Also being in a small town there has been several times that they just let me take the part make sure it worked and then come back and pay for it. The advantages of small town life. :D Also since Raleigh is not far away they can get parts in the same day if they don't have it on the shelf.

One thing I did forget to do is ohm out the old O2's and the new to see if there was a difference. Might not have shown anything since it would have been done at room temp and not at vehicle operating temp but was something I wanted to check to see if there was a difference between the two.

Thanks again. :P

Ok now awaiting comment from Wingnut on "Piggly Wiggly" :flag:

How many O2 sensors do our trucks have and where are they located?

--paul

'02 Silverado 4.8L

2 are located before each CAT and 2 are located after each CAT. The after cat ones are only there to signal if the CAT is no longer working. The front 2 handle air/fuel mixture. I would not bother changing the rears unless they are setting a code.

Nick, Great news that you got this corrected. I know all about Piggly Wiggly and small towns. I now live in a metropolis of 15,000 people and we have 2 Piggly Wiggly stores, both owned by the same guy. However, the town that I am originally from it about 1,000 people and also has a Piggly Wiggly. You guessed it, owned by the same guy who owns the two where I live now. Talk about a PW monopoly.

BTW, Raleigh, NC is the Corp HQ for our co. and there is also a Distribution Center attached to our Corp Offices. I typically get the opportunity to come to RAL every other year or so. Used to come every year for meetings but our company is so big now there are no facilities in RAL that can accomodate us. I am glad your local guy took care of you and hey, Thanks for your business.

Bish, I did not realize the rear O2 s did not come into play with everyday driving unless there is an issue. This is good to know.

Archived