Overdrive slipping

Recently my truck has been randomly slipping out of overdrive. I've got an '02 Silverado 4.8l w/automatic. All aspects of the truck have been well cared for, including the transmission. Problem started within the last week and the only that's changed here is the weather - it's been mighty cold here in Baltimore for the last week or so. Could the extreme cold cause the slip?

Recently my truck has been randomly slipping out of overdrive. I've got an '02 Silverado 4.8l w/automatic. All aspects of the truck have been well cared for, including the transmission. Problem started within the last week and the only that's changed here is the weather - it's been mighty cold here in Baltimore for the last week or so. Could the extreme cold cause the slip?

The most likely cause is a worn clutch but, I'd take it to a trannie shop and let them look it over. Hard to trouble shoot transmission problems over the net. Good Luck.

I noticed something similar with my truck when it was real cold. It would go into 4th, but the TC wouldn't lock. Thanks to the fellas on this board I learned that the TC won't lock until the tranny reaches like 170 degrees or something like that. I now leave my truck in 3rd on cold days until she gets up to operating temps. It might be that simple, or something more serious the others have mentioned.

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I will keep an eye on how and when the trans hops out of OD. I'm hoping that it's the cold weather affecting it and not something more serious.

There's a problem with the 4L60E trans. that allows the TC to unlock occasionally. It's apparently caused by a worn shuttle valve in the valve body. Mine started doing that when it got hot, and then the trans. goes into full panic mode, raising system pressure and causing HARD shifts. The fix is to get the valve body repaired. I sidestepped the issue by taking care to keep it from getting hot. It still drops out of lockup once in a while, but the trans. doesn't panic. It's been doing that for over a year, and maybe 50,000 miles.

My 4L80e is doing the same thing because of the cold temps here in CT. Once your engine is warmed up, just get on the gas as much as possible and it'll dump lots of heat into the tranny (thru the slipping converter) and get the tranny up to temp and the TC will lock up. Lately the engine temps need to be up to at least 160+ before my converter will even think of locking. Tranny temps stay cold though...my gauge doesn't even hit 100 sometimes.

Archived