Photo
- - - - -

Overdrive slipping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 pjmmoore

pjmmoore

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

Recently my truck has been randomly slipping out of overdrive. I've got an '02 Silverado 4.8l w/automatic. All aspects of the truck have been well cared for, including the transmission. Problem started within the last week and the only that's changed here is the weather - it's been mighty cold here in Baltimore for the last week or so. Could the extreme cold cause the slip?
--pjmmoore--

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4
2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
2011 GMC Acadia SLE FWD
--Baltimore, MD

#2 Norseman

Norseman

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,382 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Recently my truck has been randomly slipping out of overdrive. I've got an '02 Silverado 4.8l w/automatic. All aspects of the truck have been well cared for, including the transmission. Problem started within the last week and the only that's changed here is the weather - it's been mighty cold here in Baltimore for the last week or so. Could the extreme cold cause the slip?

The most likely cause is a worn clutch but, I'd take it to a trannie shop and let them look it over. Hard to trouble shoot transmission problems over the net. Good Luck.
PLEASE BUY FROM AN AMERICAN CAR COMPANY FOR THE GOOD OF YOUR COUNTRY AND THE PEOPLE THAT DEPEND ON THEM.

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. -- G. K. Chesterton

"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being"
-- Kahlil Gibran

God Bless Our American Service Men That Do Just That!!

If the Malibu had a Toyota badge the toy-sheeple would hump it in a parking lot.

#3 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,503 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Are you sure its the OD and not the TCC modulating? Modern day vehicles modulate the TCC so you cant feel engagement. Try driving in drive and see what happens and watch your tach closely.

#4 67ChevyRedneck

67ChevyRedneck

Enthusiast

• 559 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

I noticed something similar with my truck when it was real cold. It would go into 4th, but the TC wouldn't lock. Thanks to the fellas on this board I learned that the TC won't lock until the tranny reaches like 170 degrees or something like that. I now leave my truck in 3rd on cold days until she gets up to operating temps. It might be that simple, or something more serious the others have mentioned.
Posted Image
2000 Silverado Z71
1999 Chevrolet S-10
1967 Chevrolet C10
1967 Pontiac Firebird
2011 Mustang V6 ~Wife's car

#5 victoryred05

victoryred05

Enthusiast

• 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

I have also noticed that the TCC in my '05 doesn't lock-up till the trans gets a little heat in it. Been sub zero almost every morning this week Brrrrrrr.

#6 CapitalTruck

CapitalTruck

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,223 posts
  • Drives:'13 Silverado Ext. Cab. 4wd 4.8L

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:26 PM

By "well maintained" what do you mean? Have you done fluid changes every 25,000? If you have 100,000 on that truck and you haven't changed the tranny fluid yet...lookout!

CapitalTruck's Current Ride:

2013 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 LS 4.8L Purchased New 5/2013 - Currently with 36,000 miles

#7 2004GMC1500CC

2004GMC1500CC

Enthusiast

• 710 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

By "well maintained" what do you mean? Have you done fluid changes every 25,000? If you have 100,000 on that truck and you haven't changed the tranny fluid yet...lookout!

Mine isn't called for until 50K on the extreme schedule. They do come with synthetic from the factory now.
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
Escalade Handles
Silverado SS guage cluster
STOLEN Pioneer DEH-P4800MP, PAC SWI-PS, (2) MTX Amps, JL Audio 6.5's in the front door, MTX 10 in a Probox behind the rear seat.
UnderCover Tonneau Cover
Wait4me Performance Tune
Magnaflow #15841 Cat Back Exhaust
Powerslot Plus 14" Front Rotors 29-6890 with Hawk #HB323F.724 Front Brake Pads, Russell 672470 Stainless Steel Brake lines
Summit Sway Control Plus
Cheap Discount Tire Chrome 20's with 275/55/20's.

#8 pjmmoore

pjmmoore

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I will keep an eye on how and when the trans hops out of OD. I'm hoping that it's the cold weather affecting it and not something more serious.
--pjmmoore--

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4
2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
2011 GMC Acadia SLE FWD
--Baltimore, MD

#9 svensk

svensk

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,733 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

It is the weather. It has been sub zero F here in MN for over 2 weeks and will not even bother putting it in Drive when I take off. Plus its a lot of fun to drive in 3rd sometimes.

Forged LS2, Attitude cam, kooks LTs, 4" CAI, C6 fan,
RPM level 6, custom 2800 stall, magnaflow res, DJ's, KBEEs

Posted Image

#10 dreman

dreman

Enthusiast

• 116 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

There's a problem with the 4L60E trans. that allows the TC to unlock occasionally. It's apparently caused by a worn shuttle valve in the valve body. Mine started doing that when it got hot, and then the trans. goes into full panic mode, raising system pressure and causing HARD shifts. The fix is to get the valve body repaired. I sidestepped the issue by taking care to keep it from getting hot. It still drops out of lockup once in a while, but the trans. doesn't panic. It's been doing that for over a year, and maybe 50,000 miles.

#11 Billdog350

Billdog350

Enthusiast

• 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

My 4L80e is doing the same thing because of the cold temps here in CT. Once your engine is warmed up, just get on the gas as much as possible and it'll dump lots of heat into the tranny (thru the slipping converter) and get the tranny up to temp and the TC will lock up. Lately the engine temps need to be up to at least 160+ before my converter will even think of locking. Tranny temps stay cold though...my gauge doesn't even hit 100 sometimes.

#12 dreman

dreman

Enthusiast

• 116 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

I have no idea what problems are associated with automatic transmissions in cold weather. We don't have "cold" weather here in Houston. If you want hot, we usually have lots of that!

#13 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,503 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

TCC wont lock up with engine temps below about 160-170f check to make sure your coolant is full and the thermostat is a 195f.