Torsion bar adjustment

Ive heard that adjusting the torsion bars can raise the front up on some trucks. I have a 2001 1500 z71 and it has that sag in the front and definately isnt level. Will adjusting the torsion bars fix this? what else would it affect? Would it create more stress on some parts?

If you go 4-6 turns on both sides on the torsion bars that will give you about 1.5" to 2" in the front but jack the wheels off the ground first to relieve stress on the adjusting bolt threads and yes the ride will be alot harder, it will add a little stress to the frontend parts but nothing to worry about, I had mine cranked for 5 years and never had a problem with the frontend, alignment will be out some so get a alignment if you want I never did. As far as 20" rims that wont factor nothing as long as the total tire diameter is the same as stock and if you go from a 265 to a 285 size you may get alittle rub at full turn.

I had the same problem on my 2002 gmc. I had them turn the torsion bars up, and it definatly raised the front for a better look...

But, it does ride a lot rougher, and in 4x4, I'm guessing the angles are no long what they were designed to be, and it's tricky turing in 4x4.

I'm really thinking of having them turned back down to factory ride for comfort and drivability in 4x4.

And definatly heed everyone's warning of "have your wheels re-aligned after ya do it".

I totally agree on the alignment! I waited on doing mine but when I did, I had to replace the right front hub bearing assembly. It was a costly mistake and one I will never repeat again. Instead of paying around $50 for the alignment, I ended up paying around $300+. :)

Take the advice of those who didn't listen the first time. I added to Ford T-bar keys instead of just turning the adjustment screws. It actually lifted the truck about 3" in the front. I lowered it back down a little and it looks great now.

Good luck. :cool:

I cranked mine up and drove for six monthes. didn't like the ride so I replaced my keys with the 2in keys and kept the ride quality with the 2in in front.

I'm guessing your ride was like mine is now; rough as hell?

The 2 problems I've noticed after having mine cranked up was the rough ride, and the turning radius in 4x4. Have you noticed any degraded turning in 4x4 with the new keys? And is your ride now just as smooth as it was now as it was stock?

I used a leveling kit on mine and haven't seen any difference in the ride.

Where did you get the kit from? There a website i can checkout, i may be interested especially since it may help clear some room for when i upgrade the rims.

I used a leveling kit on mine and haven't seen any difference in the ride.

Where did you get the kit from? There a website i can checkout, i may be interested especially since it may help clear some room for when i upgrade the rims.

I got mine from autoanything.com. The brand is readylift, they also have there own website. Cost about $200 and took maybe 30-40 minutes to put on.

Archived