03+ Yukon / Yukon XL with Stabilitrak

Ok, who has an above mentioned setup with the Stabilitrak system and what kind of MPG are you getting on the highway

without towing ( 70-80 mph ) . I'll be driving my recently aquired 03 Yukon from MN-FL in about 10 days and just want an idea of what to expect. The window sticker for the truck says 14 city / 18 Hwy but I believe all the Yukons / Tahoes with the 5.3 were rated as such. The Stabilitrak trucks have the full time 4WD transfer case ( NR4 rpo code-Borg Warner 4482) which leads me to believe I should expect less then window sticker. All fluids except engine oil were just switched to Amsoil / Mobile 1 synthetic & new spark plugs / air filter installed. As per DIC, lifetime combined MPG is 15.5 but I dont know what kind of miles these were.

Also, any problems with your rigs as far as drivetrain / Air shocks ?

Thanks in advance

We took my wifes 2006 Tahoe on a 640 mile trip last summer 5.3 running anywhere from 65-75 mph and got 22 mpg on the highway it also has the Stabilitrak system but all the system does is apply the brakes on what ever side it needs to for instantace if you have to make a very hard left it will apply the brakes lightly on the right side to try and pull the vehicle straight and vise-versa. It does have the auto full time 4wd setting but can be turned of but all that does is when it detects a slippage in the rear wheels it engages the front.

Thanks for replies, I do realize the stabilitrak system itself does not effect fuel economy, however if you order the truck with stabilitrak I believe you auutomatically get the full time 4WD transfer case which should effect MPG. Does anyone know if they offered the autotrac transfer case in conjunction with stabilitrak in the newer models ( 04,05,06 ) ? Below is a quote of the BW4482 Transfer case operation from Alldata:

"The BW 4482 design of the planetary differential allows use with the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) vehicles. The VSES takes use of the planetary differential, by applying braking to a tire that has less traction and dividing the engine torque to the other axle. A high/low planetary carrier assembly provides the high and low ranges, which is a 4-pinion gear, sun gear, and annulus gear arrangement, giving a 2.64 low range reduction ratio"

Thats a good question regarding fluid, owners manual indicates All wheel drive with stabilitrak transfer case takes Dexron III, whereas the 4WD transfer case takes Autotrac II. This was very misleading because the Borg Warner case is not Awd but full time 4WD. I think only the Silverado SS, Sierra Denali & Yukon Denalis came with true AWD. The Alldata subscription confirmed the Borg Warner case took Dexron III. I ended up using Amsoil ATF synthetic

Any other comments on the MPGs I can expect with this thing?

Archived