Fuel system flush

hot37shot

Question

Hello!!!

I have a '99 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd with a 5.3 and its approaching 100k. Kinda sad thats its turning the big 100. I am thinking about getting the fuel system flushed as well as the trans flushed. Is it worth the money and will it bring it some life back to my 5.3? Thanks for the info! :)

0 answers to this question

Hello! In my 2002 Escalade, I recently had a fuel induction service (fuel system flush) and transmission "flush" performed at the 30,000 mile service. After the fuel service, I noticed a smoother and more stable (no fluttering) idle as well as slightly better MPGs. Be sure your dealer does not just pour in some 44K...but actually cleans the trottle body and induction chamber. Additionally, many transmission "flushers" do not drop the pan and change the filter. This would be highly recommended, especially at 100,000 miles. Ask for a two-part process...1) flush the transmission 2) drop the pan, replace gasket and filter, and top off.

I know you will get people tell you fuel system cleaning can be done with a couple bottles of Techron. I used that stuff a few times a year. I had the dealer do the fuel injection/throttle body cleaning. It cost about $130. After, it was like night and day. Lot more responsive, better mileage, seems like more power. The labor is about $90 and the chemicals are the rest. I think money well spent.

i work at sears auto and we now have the ZOOM fuel system flush. its $79.99 and theres usually a coupon for $10 off floating around. its recommened to be done every year or 15-20K miles. i dont think its neccessary to do it that often but i had it done on my 4.3L blazer i just got rid of with 90K on her. you really can notice the difference, in gas mileage, and in performance. it basically breaks up all the carbon deposits in your motor. its a 3-step process that takes about 30min. there is additive for your gas tank, oil, then the theres the third that gets injected into your crankcase through a vaccuum line. most people always question the $79.99 price because walmart has the fuel system cleaner by brands like STP for $5, but that is 90% alcohol and evaporates before it actually gets to the motor, so its basically useless.

tranny flushes are now being introduced at sears, we'll be going to classes in order to sell them better. not sure when they'll actually start doing them, but it should be within the month or so. from what i hear though, is that if you flush the oil out around 80K+ miles its pretty worthless because it'll hurt it. i guess its suppose to be done every 40K miles, but dont quote me on that.

-cook

I had that performed at Jiffy Lube and I noticed a major difference of about 3-4 mpg's on the highway right afterwards...I need to get it done again.

i work at sears auto and we now have the ZOOM fuel system flush. its $79.99 and theres usually a coupon for $10 off floating around. its recommened to be done every year or 15-20K miles. i dont think its neccessary to do it that often but i had it done on my 4.3L blazer i just got rid of with 90K on her. you really can notice the difference, in gas mileage, and in performance. it basically breaks up all the carbon deposits in your motor. its a 3-step process that takes about 30min. there is additive for your gas tank, oil, then the theres the third that gets injected into your crankcase through a vaccuum line. most people always question the $79.99 price because walmart has the fuel system cleaner by brands like STP for $5, but that is 90% alcohol and evaporates before it actually gets to the motor, so its basically useless.

tranny flushes are now being introduced at sears, we'll be going to classes in order to sell them better. not sure when they'll actually start doing them, but it should be within the month or so. from what i hear though, is that if you flush the oil out around 80K+ miles its pretty worthless because it'll hurt it. i guess its suppose to be done every 40K miles, but dont quote me on that.

-cook

JHM is correct. Techron is a great product but if you really have build up in the comb chamber and valves you will feel a difference with a good decarbon system. We sell Motor Vac equipment and chems to professional Techs and this system produces great results. The other that you hear a lot of good things about is BG.

I am no fan of "flushing a trans". You have got to drop the pan and replace the filter if you want it done right. A machine can be used to remove the fluid so you can make the dropping of the pan a cleaner process, but to simply hook up a machine without dropping the pan is not going to properly clean the system. Some will tell you the filter is a screen material and it can be flushed clean. This simply is not true. Very few trans filters are made of screen, they are a paper material very similar to the media in an oil filter and it simply cannot be "flushed" clean.

I have not visited their website in quite some time, but www.spxfiltran.com is a great source for info on this.

Archived