High NOx - Failed Emissions

I have a co-worker with a 1993 Suburban that intermittently displays a CEL. Now he has failed the required EPA test with a high NOx.

I don't know how to get the code from a pre-96 vehicle. I feel this is related to th EGR system but I need to see if the code is indicating . What is the procedure to read pre-obdII codes on this car?

Thanks for any help.

KL

• 6 months later...
I have a co-worker with a 1993 Suburban that intermittently displays a CEL. Now he has failed the required EPA test with a high NOx.

I don't know how to get the code from a pre-96 vehicle. I feel this is related to th EGR system but I need to see if the code is indicating . What is the procedure to read pre-obdII codes on this car?

Thanks for any help.

KL

This is an old post, but for anyone else that may need this info here it is.

Not hard, if you live by an autozone you can get a code reader for free. it's just a simple two prong metel looking key

(jumper). This key will fit into two of the holes on the ob diagnostic terminal under the dash (under the steering wheel area). If you don't have this key then just use a paper clip (unbend it and make it into a horseshoe shape) put one end ito one connection and the other into the other connection. (if i remember correctly its the two connections on the right bottom row.

Anyways put the key (jumper) into the correct connections then turn the ignition key to the on position (NOT the start position; don't start the truck!) Once you do this you will see the dash lights blinking on and off. the first thing you will see is the lights flash once then a small pause then flash twice (#12), this is the computer reading through the codes. I believe it will flash "12" three times.

After the initial "12" it will then flash the codes. Just watch the light (how many times it blinks) and write them down. Note that in between different codes will be a longer pause and i think it flashes the codes 3 times over for each code.

Once you have the codes you can check them online or get a Haynes repair book and check them there. Google trouble codes and you should find it.

Good luck.

Archived