Can't find towing brake control hookup connector under dash

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Starrman

Starrman

Enthusiast

• 344 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

I've been looking under the driver side dash but can't find this connector. The one on the harness that I have is brown, so I guess the one it plugs into is brown also. HELP
Posted Image

My Stable:
2001 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 5.3l 3.73's, Predator Tuner, AirLift Air Springs, AirRaid MIT, Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (Daily driver and tow vehicle)
'95 Mustang GT built and blown 600hp
'02 Mustang GT mildly modified
'98 Mercury Mistique

#2 pwall

pwall

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,884 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

Under the dash on the drivers side, top left corner there is a 'black' box (not like in a airplane... ;) )
Remove the cover and the connector will be inside, along with others.
The brake controller connector will only fit one connector in the box.
If you don't have a owner's manual, send me your email address and I can mail out a PDF version for a 2002 YukonXL, which is the same as the 2001 anyways.
Patrick.
Posted Image
Black Truck Member # ?? DMax Club Member # ??
RV Forum: http://rv-forums.org

#3 Starrman

Starrman

Enthusiast

• 344 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks, I was just looking for the connector and didn't know it was contained in a box with others. I'll give it a look later this evening. Oh, I do have the owners manual, but I only saw 1 small paragraph in there talking about that Z82 Glove Box Jumper and Brake Controller pigtail. Altho there is a small diagram on the tag thats on the pigtail wiring harness along with the 40amp fuse, but that diagram is pretty generic and confusing.

Thanks
Posted Image

My Stable:
2001 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 5.3l 3.73's, Predator Tuner, AirLift Air Springs, AirRaid MIT, Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (Daily driver and tow vehicle)
'98 Mercury Mistique

#4 bossier62guy

bossier62guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2002 Silverado Z-71

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

I just installed one on my 02 last weekend. The diagram is inside the little black box showing you which connector to use (it will fit more than one)....it's a pretty simple process though.

#5 Starrman

Starrman

Enthusiast

• 344 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

is this black box on the firewall along side the pedals or behind the front part of the dash?
Posted Image

My Stable:
'98 Mercury Mistique

#6 bossier62guy

bossier62guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2002 Silverado Z-71

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

It's right above your emergency brake pedal (when it's depressed)....just unscrew that plastic nut off of it and pop it off.

#7 Shaners

Shaners

LD/HD Moderator

• Senior Moderator
  • 8,931 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

The factory supplied harness will plug into the junction box which is covered by a black plastic cover and is located behind the E brake. There is one or two black plastic nuts that need to come off to remove the cover. Your harness will plug in on the top row second from the left.

When you connect the harness to the controller, the colored wires will most likely not match. Use the little pieces of labeled tape that are on the wires from the pigtail and the controller to match them up.

There may very likely be a dummy fuse in the underhood electrical center which will have to be removed and the 40A maxi fuse will have to be installed. My dummy fuse was covered by a piece of paper/tape.

2013 Avalanche LTZ. White Diamond Tricoat paint w/Ebony leather. (mine)  In person tune by Justin from BlackBear Performance

2005 BMW 645Ci convertible w/only 21k miles

2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid (hers)

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

#8 cornelious

cornelious

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:12 AM

Under the dash on the drivers side, top left corner there is a 'black' box (not like in a airplane... ;) )
If you don't have a owner's manual, send me your email address and I can mail out a PDF version for a 2002 YukonXL, which is the same as the 2001 anyways.

Do you know if the 2004 Denali has the same setup? I have a prodigy brake controller with the GM adapter harness. I assuming this harness (with the GM 3015 plug) will mate with the connector under the dash; which I haven't been able to locate. I'm going to look for this 'box' near the emergency brake pedal. Lastly, is the harness (in the box) properly fused for electric brakes? (I would assume so since that is what the cable is for, but just thought I'd ask) Thanks!

#9 Colorado Kid

Colorado Kid

Enthusiast

• 373 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

Do you know if the 2004 Denali has the same setup? I have a prodigy brake controller with the GM adapter harness. I assuming this harness (with the GM 3015 plug) will mate with the connector under the dash; which I haven't been able to locate. I'm going to look for this 'box' near the emergency brake pedal. Lastly, is the harness (in the box) properly fused for electric brakes? (I would assume so since that is what the cable is for, but just thought I'd ask) Thanks!

Yes the Denali is the same.
Yes the Prodigy harness will plug right in.
Yes everything will be properly fused for trailer brakes if you just plug it in.

The other fuse that folks are reffering to, where there may or may not be a dummy fuse in the underhood maxi-fuse panel, is the one that will provide poser toi the "+ 12V" pin in the trailer connector. This is the one that charges the trailer battery for camping trailers. If you're towing a boat, a cargo trailer or a simple horse trailer this circuit probably isn't used.
2004 Chevy Suburban 1500. 5.3L Alcoholic/4L60-E. Silver Birch
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE Duramax/6 speed 2WD CC SB Fire Red . . .Gone.
1996 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 5.0L/5 speed 2WD RC LB Fire Red

#10 lynnpatt

lynnpatt

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

Does the 2008 2500 GMC have a box under the dash to plug in an electric brake controller or does it have to ne hard wired?

#11 c4cruiser

c4cruiser

Enthusiast

• 846 posts
  • Name:George
  • Drives:08 Black Silverado Z71 6.0

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

Does the 2008 2500 GMC have a box under the dash to plug in an electric brake controller or does it have to ne hard wired?

The NBS trucks don't have a connector like the GMT800 trucks did. The individual wires (they are loose ends) have to be spliced into your trailer brake connector harness. Why GM decided to do it that way is very disappointing.
George

08 Black Silverado LTZ Z71 Ext. Cab VortecMax 6.0 StabiliTrak
87 Gold Vette Coupe
02 Electron Blue Vette coupe supercharged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users