Gm Autoride Bypass Resistor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Ross

Daniel Ross

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

I have been doing a lot of research. I see that Caddillac owners were able to bypass there autoride shock sensors with a resistor. I have a 2001 GMC Denali. Does anyone have any ideas what the resistor value is and wattage to bypass the system. I want to put regular shocks in the front and air shocks in the back. Which I still want the auto level system to work. Thank you for your help.....

#2 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

I wish I could help you but I am confused with your desire. You are looking for a resistor to "bypass" the autoride but you still want the autolevel system to work. I am assuming you want to tie it into the airshocks on the rear?

I have another suggestion that you may have not considered. If you can find a way to bypass the autoride system then you could put 4 good quality shocks on the truck and then add a set of AirLift Air Bags inside the rear coils. The Air Lift Air Bags can be installed with a manual fill valve, a manually controlled compressor or I beieve they offer an auto leveling option as well.

I have the airlifts on my Yukon XL, which was not equipped with AutoRide and I love them. I would also recommend KYB MonoMax shocks. They are great shocks. Bilstiens are also great but I am not as familiar with them because KYB is our (CARQUEST) supplier in most parts of the country. We stil have Gabriel supplied ride control remaining in a few areas of the country.

Hope you can get is set up like you want it.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#3 Daniel Ross

Daniel Ross

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

All four shock have a proportioning valve which the autoride system adjusts while you are driving to stiffen the ride or soften it up. I want to fake the system out so it thinks those sensors are working but keep the autolevel active so when I tow my trailer the autoride will keep my Denali level. Hope that clarifies it a bit more...Thanks

#4 sonjaab

sonjaab

• 2,159 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

DAN..I did the resistor trick on my 96 Deville when those $2500
(GM dealer item only-no passive units aval. at the time) front struts
went bye bye.

If memory serves it was a 100 ohm...........Can't quite remember !
It was wired into the plug on top of the strut.

The only thing it did was turn off the "service ride control" msg.....

I dumped it soon after for my 03.

Check http://www.caddyinfo.com
Thats where my info came from...........geo
Posted Image
Alexandria Bay NY & Syracuse NY
Daytona Beach FL

#5 JRNRING

JRNRING

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hi guys this is an old thread but maybe some one can help.

I also have a 2001 GMC Yukon XL and it has the Autoride system. My shocks are gone entirely and wanted to upgrade to KYB's but did not know that my Yukon was equiped with the autoride system. Can any one suggest an option to bypass the system and fit just the regular shocks?
Thanks in advandec for the help.
Regards
JRNRING

#6 sonjaab

sonjaab

• 2,159 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

About the only way to rid yourself of warning messages etc.
when you change to regular shocks is to have a PCM burn to
eliminate the autoride from the system.

Heres plenty of posts on other folks autoride issues along]
with one guys success story.................
http://www.gm-trucks...autoride shocks

And even more:

http://www.gm-trucks...?...shocks&st=0

Edited by sonjaab, 08 June 2010 - 01:15 PM.

#7 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

Dunno, about bypassing. But I will Pass along a good supplier. I work on a lot of fords with air suspension's..... I DON'T CALL FORD for them..... I call Arnott Industries..... Two remain air shocks for 2000-2006 is 379 (sold as a pair) and the pump is 179....... They also have a set of Bilstein that will bolt up and work with the auto-ride system....

I have done a bunch of; crown vics, grand marques, and town cars with parts from arnott and they all work great.....

Jbo

#8 sonjaab

sonjaab

• 2,159 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

Just a note from other Auto-ride/level failure posts............
When NON-GM replacement shocks are used there are still
issues with SES/warning lights...............

The PCM burn (link posted in post 6) will turn off all
warning lights when NON GM replacements are used.

#9 2003 LT Tahoe

2003 LT Tahoe

Enthusiast

• 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Just replaced my Autoride with the Bilstein Arnott solution a month ago. Far better ride, no errors and a big cost savings versus factory replacement. The mechanic who installed them said he was very impressed with the setup as he has not seen other solutions for active suspension replacement work without any glitches or warning lights.

#10 Sly

Sly

Enthusiast

• 278 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

Just replaced my Autoride with the Bilstein Arnott solution a month ago. Far better ride, no errors and a big cost savings versus factory replacement. The mechanic who installed them said he was very impressed with the setup as he has not seen other solutions for active suspension replacement work without any glitches or warning lights.

x2 on the Arnott/Bilstein setup. I have it on my Yukon XL Denali. I have had it for about 8 months. The system has worked flawlessly and the ride is great. Got to Arnott's website or their ebay store.
'02 Yukon XL Denali Garnet Red, K&N FIPK, Corsa Touring Catback, Hypertech Programmer, 160* Tstat, Arnott/Bilstein rear shocks, Powerslot rotors with Thermoquiet ceramic pads up front, stock rotors with Akebono ceramic pads on rear, Corvette Servo,Superior Billet Super Servo 4th apply piston with cover, DDM 6000K 55W HIDs, Clear parking/turn signals, LED Tail lights, Silverstar Amber Daytime Running lights, Optima Red Top, 5% Tint all around, Luggage rack removed, Escalade vent caps, Escalade gauge cluster, Blendmount Valentine One radar detector mount.

#11 4wd

4wd

Enthusiast

• 480 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

Great!

#12 minnickb

minnickb

Enthusiast

• 26 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

how about just measuring the sensor with a DVM. That will tell you what the resistance is, in Ohms
For the wattage part, assume it sees the full batt voltage, lets say 14V.
Then, Power = Voltage^2 / Ohms
Get the next higher available wattage resistor.

#13 old-chevy-dude

old-chevy-dude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,343 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

HEY THERE IF YOUR LOOKING TO GO FROM AUTORIDE SHOCKS TO STANDARD SHOCKS
ON A CHEVY/GMC TRUCK OR SUV, AND KEEP GETTING THAT ANNOYING "SERVICE AUTO RIDE" LIGHT AND WOULD LIKE A COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION OTHER THAN JUST BUYING EXPENSIVE FACTORY OR OFF BRAND AUTORIDE SHOCKS THEN LOOK NO FURTHER.... I SELL THE ONLY SHOCK BYPASS SYSTEM I KNOW OF(THE SHOCK JUMPER)... FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $95.00/FREE SHIPPING IN US ONLY ...

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PERTAINS TO A CHEVY OR GMC TRUCK OR SUV.

FOR QUESTIONS OR TO PLACE AN ORDER - EMAIL : [email protected]

SHANE ROBB
THE SHOCK JUMPER

are you farking nuts?

$95 for $3 in parts?????????/

go off yourself you con artist..

BTW Rancho Shocks makes an Auto-Ride bypass kit and it's only $25 for all four corners or FREE if you buy their shocks. Rancho Parts Pack P1510..

#14 SteveG

SteveG

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

ON A CHEVY/GMC TRUCK OR SUV, AND KEEP GETTING THAT ANNOYING "SERVICE AUTO RIDE" LIGHT AND WOULD LIKE A COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION OTHER THAN JUST BUYING EXPENSIVE FACTORY OR OFF BRAND AUTORIDE SHOCKS THEN LOOK NO FURTHER.... I SELL THE ONLY SHOCK BYPASS SYSTEM I KNOW OF(THE SHOCK JUMPER)... FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $95.00/FREE SHIPPING IN US ONLY ...

SHANE ROBB
THE SHOCK JUMPER

are you farking nuts?

$95 for $3 in parts?????????/

go off yourself you con artist..

BTW Rancho Shocks makes an Auto-Ride bypass kit and it's only $25 for all four corners or FREE if you buy their shocks. Rancho Parts Pack P1510..

So any idea if the air shocks are designed to provide lift support. I'm assuming the coils in the yukon and yukon denali are the same. Can anybody confirm this.

#15 joebraken

joebraken

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

[quote name='SHOCK JUMPER' timestamp='1314411454' post='1197491']

SHANE ROBB

THE SHOCK JUMPER

[/quote ]   hi my name is joe kennedy i work for ridgewood motors in silvercity nm. i would like to know what i need to do to get kit credit card or money order over night check

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users