Onstar question

I just activated Onstar in my truck (didn't have it in my last truck at all) and I have a question. Does Onstar/Verizon offer voice mail service for their subscribers? When I call my truck's phone number (truck is off) it justs rings, then goes to a recording about how this subscriber is not available. Why can't I have voice mail? The truck has to be on and you have to be in it to accept calls. That is kind of dumb! Or am I missing something?

As far as I know, your not missing a thing. You could contact Verizon and see if they can set up a voice mailbox for the truck's number. You would have to call it just to check for messages though.

As far as I know, your not missing a thing. You could contact Verizon and see if they can set up a voice mailbox for the truck's number. You would have to call it just to check for messages though.

Would they do it? Is their a special Onstar/Verizon phone number? I don't understand why voice mail isn't included? There should be a light that flashes when you have a new message and a message should appear in your DIC telling you how many VM's you have. You should be able to forward calls to another number (like a portable cell phone) if someone calls the truck and no one picks up.

Taken from the Verizon wireless site in their FAQ section:

http://www.vzwshop.com/onstar/

Q. When using OnStar Hands-Free Calling, are customers still able to receive call-waiting and voicemail?

A. The call-waiting option is not available in the vehicle. Voicemail is not available when forwarding calls from the Verizon Wireless handset to the OnStar Hands-Free Calling. When using just the Verizon Wireless handset, the handset will operate normally allowing the customer to have voicemail, call-waiting and other calling features.

If you press the OnStar button in your truck, they will do the rest for you. They are pretty helpfull.

Hope this helps!

I looked into this option, as I am a Verizon customer also. $9.99/mo for additional # on the family share plan to add truck # (5 #'s maximum on plan). No voicemail, no call waiting, just the bare bones for now. I decided to stay where I am at. After my trial period (3 months and 30 airtime minutes), I purchased the additional on star air time minutes they offered (100 min for $14.95). I have yet to use them all. Until they add additional features to the on star/verizon plan, it just is not worth it right now. Hell, I don't even know if my on star will be available in a year. As of Jan 2008, ONLY digital on star equipped vehicles will be able to carry on star services. Every other vehicle with the analog system will be obsolete. Does anybody know if the 06 MY is equipped to integrate to the all digital service next year, or if it is already set up? Something to think about for us all. Oh yeah, you cannot upgrade an existing analog sytem to digital system as of the present.

I got a letter from OnStar yesterday saying that my service would be discontinued as of Dec. 31, 2007. It said that 06 and 07 models should still have service. I contacted my virtual advisor and she said vehicles equipped with Gen 5 OnStar and up would be able to continue to use the service. Looks like I'm out of luck, but you should be fine.

I got a letter from OnStar yesterday saying that my service would be discontinued as of Dec. 31, 2007. It said that 06 and 07 models should still have service. I contacted my virtual advisor and she said vehicles equipped with Gen 5 OnStar and up would be able to continue to use the service. Looks like I'm out of luck, but you should be fine.

so OnStar is basically getting rid of 1000's of paying customers as of the 31 of Dec of this year because OnStar won't pay to upgrade their vehicles? Who came up with that *GREAT* money making idea?

My truck will still work. That is nice.

I think there will be retrofit kits available for some of these cars. The OnStar cell phone is a love/hate it thing for me anyway.

Positives: Integrated into truck nicely, good handsfree controls and at least they picked Verizon. The microphone picks up passengers clearly from the backseat!

Negatives: dialing can be a frustrating and longer than it needs to process, I had a lot of problems getting it to hang up on my '06, reception was no better than my Verizon handhelds (same dead spots), and worst of all....no bluetooth integration!

I bought the added 100 min package and use it for emergencies. I'll put a seperate bluetooth kit in it later

Heres a bulletin on the upgrade kits........

Subject: Information on Upgrading Certain OnStar Generation 4 and 5 Analog/Digital-Ready Systems to OnStar Generation 6 Digital-Capable System #05-08-46-006K - (02/26/2007)

Models: 2003-2004 Buick Rendezvous, LeSabre

2004 Buick Rainier, Regal

2004-2005 Buick Century

2002-2004 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

2003-2004 Cadillac CTS

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade Models

2004-2005 Cadillac SRX, XLR

2005 Cadillac CTS, STS

2002-2004 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, TrailBlazer Models

2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Venture

2004 Chevrolet Colorado

2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt, Corvette, Equinox

2002-2004 GMC Envoy Models

2003-2004 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon Models

2004 GMC Canyon

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2003-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette

2003-2004 Pontiac Aztek, Bonneville

2003-2005 Pontiac Montana, Sunfire

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

2005 Pontiac G6, Pursuit (Canada)

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

2002-2004 Saturn VUE

2003-2004 Saturn ION

2003-2004 Saturn L-Series

with OnStar® (RPO UE1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-46-006J (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being issued to provide dealer personnel with information and procedures to follow should an owner wish to upgrade their OnStar® Generation 4 or 5 Analog/Digital-Ready system to an OnStar® Generation 6 Digital-Capable system.

Program Overview

To upgrade their vehicle to an OnStar® Generation 6 Digital-Capable system, all that a customer must do is:

• Take their vehicle to their dealer for the system upgrade.

• Pay the dealer the regular retail price (no discounts are available) for one of the following 1-year, non-refundable OnStar® Analog-to-Digital Transition (ADT) Service Subscription Plans:

- 1-year Safe & Sound ADT Subscription: $199 ($289 in Canada)

- 1-year Directions & Connections ADT Subscription: $399 ($579 in Canada)

• Pay the dealer the applicable state and local sales taxes on the subscription:

- U.S. Dealers: Taxes only apply in these states: CT, DC, FL, HI, ND, NJ, NM, NY, SC, SD, TX, and WV

- Canadian Dealers: All applicable taxes

• Pay the dealer a one-time charge of $15 for the hardware

- U.S. Dealers: Do not collect taxes on the $15

- Canadian Dealers: Collect all applicable taxes on the $15

Note: Dealers should NOT remit OnStar® ADT-related taxes to their taxing authority as OnStar® is responsible for tax remittance.

Please Be Sure To Read these Important Points:

• OnStar ADT Service Subscription and hardware charge are not refundable or transferable to another vehicle.

• Dealer ADT Kit Orders are VIN Specific. Dealer kit orders require a VIN and must be exchanged with the OnStar® unit in the vehicle with that VIN. Proper activation and enrollment depends on this step.

• Customers will receive a new phone number once the digital hardware is installed and configured.

• Any remaining OnStar® Hands-Free Calling minutes that the customer had in their analog hardware will be downloaded to the new digital hardware automatically.

• Any nametags that were stored in the old system will need to be re-set by the subscriber once the new hardware is installed.

• This program is available to customers with vehicles both still under their warranty period, and those past the warranty period. All customers, regardless of where they stand relative to their warranty, should be treated the same. Customers should not be charged for any labor costs. Labor is paid by GM as specified at the end of this bulletin.

• Vehicles eligible for an OnStar® hardware upgrade are listed in this bulletin. Vehicle upgradeability can also be determined by typing the VIN into the field entitled "Determine VIN Hardware Functionality" on the OnStar® Online Enrollment website, located in the sales tab of GM DealerWorld. Canadian Dealers can use a similar tool that is available within InfoNET.

• Access to the sales tab and the OnStar® Online Enrollment website can be granted by the dealership’s Partner Security Coordinator (PSC). If you are unsure who the PSC is, check with the Sales Manager.

• The OnStar® ADT Service Subscription will begin following the expiration of the customer’s existing subscription assigned to the vehicle.

Ordering the Upgrade Kit

To order a kit, you will need to access the OnStar® Online Enrollment webpage, located under the sales tab of GM DealerWorld (infoNET for Canadian upgrade orders).

These kits can not be ordered from GMSPO.

Click on the Analog-to-Digital Program link to start the ordering process.

To order a kit, you will need the following information:

• VIN

• OnStar® account holder's first name

• OnStar® account holder's last name

• OnStar® account holder's e-mail address (optional)

• OnStar® account holder's phone number

• OnStar® account holder's street address

• OnStar® account holder's ZIP code (or postal code for Canadian upgrades)

• 6-digit Dealer BAC code and the 5-digit Divisional Dealer Code (do not use a Parts Department Dealer Code).

• Service department contact's name, phone number and a dealership e-mail address

• Repair Order (R.O.) Number

• Mileage on vehicle

• Which OnStar® Subscription Plan do they want (Safe & Sound or Directions & Connections)?

After submitting the order, the "Terms and Conditions of Your OnStar® Service" page will display. This is your confirmation that the upgrade kit order has been created.

Print the "Terms and Conditions of Your OnStar® Service" page, and have the customer sign a copy.

A copy of this form should be stapled to the customer’s copy of the Repair Order and one copy should be retained in the customer service folder.

You will receive the upgrade kit within 48 hours of entering your order through the OnStar® Online Enrollment webpage.

To check on the status of your order, U.S. Dealers can log onto the distributor's website at www.autocraft.com. Canadian dealers can call MASS Electronics.

Upgrade Kit Installation

Skip to the next step if the vehicle to be upgraded is not listed below:

Unscrew the existing analog OnStar® antenna mast from the antenna base and discard. Screw he provided Digital-Capable OnStar® antenna mast onto the antenna base.

• 2003 Buick Rendezvous

• 2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

• 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Venture

• 2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

• 2003 HUMMER H2

• 2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette

• 2003 Pontiac Aztek, Montana

Skip to the next step if the vehicle to be upgraded is not listed below:

Replace the existing OnStar® analog on-glass antenna mast, inner coupler and outer coupler with the provided new Digital-Capable antenna components. Refer to the antenna component replacement instructions included in the kit or those found in the Cellular Communication section of SI. You must follow these instructions carefully in order to ensure proper adhesion of the new antenna.

• 2003-2004 Buick LeSabre

• 2004 Buick Regal

• 2004-2005 Buick Century

• 2002-2004 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

• 2003-2004 Cadillac CTS

• 2004 Cadillac SRX built prior to VIN breakpoint 40171353

• 2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

• 2003-2004 Chevrolet Express

• 2002-2004 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

• 2003-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

• 2002-2003 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL

• 2003-2004 GMC Savana

• 2002-2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

• 2003-2004 Pontiac Bonneville

• 2003-2005 Pontiac Sunfire

• 2003-2004 Saturn L-Series

• 2003 Saturn ION

• 2002-2004 Saturn VUE

Skip to the next step if the vehicle to be upgraded is a 2005 Cadillac STS. The 2005 Cadillac STS kit may include a new inside rearview (ISRV) mirror assembly and a new ISRV mirror wiring cover. If the kit you receive includes these parts, please remove the existing ISRV mirror and wire cover from the vehicle and install the ones provided in the kit per the instructions in SI.

Replace the OnStar® Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) in the vehicle with the provided Digitally-Capable VCIM. Refer to the Communication Interface Module Replacement procedure in the Cellular Communication section of SI. This kit may include a new VCIM bracket. If it does, use this new bracket on the vehicle and discard the original bracket. The kit may also include a small wiring jumper cable. If it does, plug the wiring jumper cable into the connector on the VCIM and the other end to the corresponding vehicle wiring harness connector.

• For 2002 and 2003 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, do not reinstall the black plastic OnStar® module cover onto the vehicle after the VCIM and module bracket have been installed. This black plastic cover will no longer fit on the vehicle.

• The upgrade kit for 2002 Sevilles and Devilles, and some 2003 Sevilles and DeVilles, will contain a large bracket. To install the new VCIM into this bracket you’ll need to carefully line up the notch in the VCIM with the tab in the bracket.

After replacing the VCIM, it is essential to reconfigure the OnStar® system. Failure to reconfigure the system will result in an additional customer visit for repair. DO NOT press and hold the white dot button on the keypad as it will not reset this version of the OnStar® system and may result in a DTC to be set. Use of the TIS2WEB and SPS applications, along with the Tech 2, are required in order to perform the VCIM configuration and setup procedure for this vehicle. The configuration and set-up procedure is now a two-step process which enables an automated activation by the OnStar® Center, without a button press by the technician to the OnStar® Call Center.

5.1. Connect the Tech 2® to the vehicle.

5.2. Connect the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal to the Tech 2®.

5.3. Select the "TIS2WEB Pass-Thru OnStar® Activation (Replaced/Upgraded Units Only)" option using the Service Programming System (SPS).

5.4. Upon completion of the OnStar® TIS2WEB step, disconnect the TIS terminal from the Tech 2® and perform the VCIM/OnStar® Set-up Procedure using the Tech 2®. The set up procedure is located under the special function menu option.

Important: Failure to perform the above steps will result in a red LED, DTC to set and limited or incomplete OnStar® services.

5.5. The default language for the new VCIM will be English. To change to French or Spanish, access the special functions menu on the Tech 2®, and follow the instructions accordingly.

Important: OnStar® Emergency Services are immediately available after these steps, however, full configuration, including activation of Hands-Free Calling (HFC), may take up to 24 hours to complete.

Processing the Module Exchange

For this program, submitting a credit request for the removed OnStar® VCIM (the core) will be performed through a website. When this process is followed, the removed Analog / Digital-Ready VCIM, in most cases, will not be mailed back to the distributor, but can be scrapped by the dealership.

U.S. Dealers

Return the removed Analog / Digital-Ready OnStar® VCIM to the Parts Manager.

The Parts Manager will log onto www.autocraft.com (first time users will need to register).

Select Account Maintenance.

Select Outstanding Cores.

Choose the outstanding core you wish to process, by selecting the Virtual Core Button on the far right side of the screen.

Enter the information in the required fields and select the submit button. Record the confirmation number.

Canadian Dealers

Return the removed Analog / Digital-Ready OnStar® VCIM to the Parts Manager.

The Parts Manager will log ontohttps://adt.onstar.gm.mass.ca and enter information as prompted.

All Dealers

In some cases, the VCIM will still need to be physically returned to the distributor. If the website indicates this, please use the pre-paid shipping label that was included in the kit to return the removed VCIM.

Important: To avoid a $250 core non-return charge, you must do one of the following within 30 days of kit order:

Submit the necessary VCIM data through the website, as indicated above.

Mailed the removed core from the customer's vehicle back to the distributor.

Return the unused digital upgrade kit back to the distributor.

Returning the Upgraded Vehicle to the Customer

Place the new OnStar Subscriber Information (Owner's Manual kit) in the customer's vehicle where they can review some of the new features of the Digital-Capable system. The continuous digit dialing feature should be highlighted to the customer to avoid a return to the dealership for dialing instructions. Advise the customer to discard any existing OnStar® Owner's Manuals that may be in the vehicle.

Have the Service Advisor, Service Manager or Sales Consultant review the new OnStar® Hands-Free Calling procedure with the customer. The customer is used to their Generation 4 or 5 OnStar® Hands-Free Calling system, which uses individual digit dial to make a call. The Generation 6 Digital-Capable system uses continuous digit dial, and the customer needs to be made aware of this change.

U.S. Dealers Only: Staple the "Tip Sheet - OnStar® Generation 6 Digitally-Capable System", that was included in the kit, to the customer’s copy of the repair order. This tip sheet will help your customer better understand their new OnStar® system.

Canadian Dealers Only: Refer the customer to the HFC Quick Review Card from the new OnStar® Owner’s Manual kit for help with the new dialing procedure.

Fill out the form entitled "GM Limited Warranty for Upgraded OnStar® Digital Equipment Program Participants" and staple a copy of this to the customer’s repair order. You may want to keep a copy for your records.

Encourage your customer to press their Blue OnStar® button the next day. The OnStar® advisor will be able to review some of the new features of their digital OnStar® system.

Closing the OnStar® Upgrade Exchange

Collect payment from the customer. Your dealership’s open account (sales) will be charged for the chosen subscription plan, applicable subscription tax, and $15 hardware fee, after the vehicle has been configured through the TIS2WEB process.

The one-year service subscription and $15 may not be claimed as a goodwill event. These costs must be paid by the customer, and may not be included in any goodwill offered to the customer. GM employees or representatives or field personnel are not able to offer goodwill for the subscription fees or the $15. If the dealership decides to pay for the upgrade for their customer, be aware that your GM or OnStar® contact will not be able to reimburse you for this cost.

Use labor code Z2096 to submit your claim for the labor time published below plus 0.2 hr Administrative Allowance and an additional $20.00 Net Amount.

• For all dealer claim submissions (excluding U.S. Saturn), use Complaint Code MH -- Technical Bulletin, and Failure Code 93 -- Technical Service Bulletin.

• For U.S. Saturn retailer claim submission, use Net Item code "M" and Case Type VW.

Parts Information

The following OnStar® upgrade kits are ordered by clicking on the Analog-to-Digital Program link, which can be accessed on the OnStar® Online Enrollment webpage, located under the sales tab of GM DealerWorld (infoNET for Canadian upgrade orders).

Part Number

Model Year and Vehicle Line

2004 Grand Prix

2005 Corvette

2005 Equinox

2004 H2

2004 Colorado

2004 Canyon

2003 Rendezvous

2003 Aztek

2003 Escalade/ESV/EXT

2003 Avalanche

2003 Silverado

2003 Suburban

2003 Tahoe

2003 Sierra

2003 Yukon/ XL

2003 H2

2003-2004 LeSabre

2004 Regal

2004-2005 Century

2003 CTS (built after and including VIN breakpoint 30148827)

2004 CTS

2003-2004 Express

2004 Impala, Monte Carlo

2003-2004 Savana

2003-2004 Bonneville

2004 L-Series

2003 CTS (built prior to VIN breakpoint 30148827)

2002-2003 Impala, Monte Carlo

2002 Deville

2003 DeVille (built prior to VIN breakpoint 3U261178)

2002 Seville

2003 Seville (built prior to VIN breakpoint 3U261889)

2004 SRX (built prior to VIN breakpoint 40171353)

2003 TrailBlazer/EXT

2003 Envoy/XL

2003 Bravada

2003 ION

2002 TrailBlazer/EXT

2002 Envoy XL

2002 Bravada

2004 Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005 CTS (built prior to VIN breakpoint 50162843)

2004 Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2004 Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2004 Rainier

2004 SRX (built after and including VIN breakpoint 40171353)

2005 SRX (built prior to VIN breakpoint 50169388)

2004 TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2004-2005 Venture

2004 Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV

2004 Bravada, Silhouette

2004-2005 Montana

2004 ION

2004 Rendezvous

2004-2005 XLR

2004 Aztek

2005 STS with option DD7

2003 DeVille (built after and including VIN breakpoint 3U261178) Seville (built after and including VIN breakpoint 3U261889)

2004 DeVille, Seville

2003-2005 Cavalier

2003-2005 Sunfire

2005 STS (with options DD8 & TQ5)

2005 STS (with option DD8)

2004-2005 Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2005 G6

2003 Venture

2003 Silhouette

2003 Montana

2005 Cobalt

2005 Pursuit

2003 L-Series (LW)

2003 L-Series (LS)

2002 VUE

2003 VUE (built prior to VIN breakpoint 3S885677)

2003 VUE (built after and including VIN breakpoint 3S885677)

2004 VUE

Labor Time Information

Labor Operation

Model Year and Vehicle Line

Labor Time

Z2096 OnStar® Analog-to-Digital Upgrade Kit-Install*

2004-2005 Cadillac XLR

0.4 hr

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

0.5 hr

2004 Buick Rainier

2005 Cadillac STS (with option DD8)

2004 Chevrolet Colorado

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2003-2005 Chevrolet Venture

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV

2004 GMC Canyon

2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2003-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette

2003-2005 Pontiac Montana

2003-2004 L-Series

0.6 hr

2003-2004 Buick Rendezvous

2005 Cadillac CTS

2005 Chevrolet Corvette

2003-2004 Pontiac Aztek

2002-2004 VUE

0.7 hr

2003-2004 Buick LeSabre

2003-2004 Chevrolet Express

2003-2004 GMC Savana

2003-2004 Pontiac Bonneville

0.8 hr

2002-2004 Cadillac DeVille

2005 Cadillac STS (with options DD8 & TQ5)

2005 Cadillac STS (with option DD7)

2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2002-2004 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

2002-2003 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV

2002-2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

0.9 hr

2004-2005 Buick Century

2004 Buick Regal

2003-2004 Cadillac CTS

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

1.0 hr

2002-2004 Cadillac Seville

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

1.1 hrs

2004 ION

1.2 hrs

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

2003 ION

1.4 hrs

2003-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

2003-2005 Pontiac Sunfire

1.6 hrs

2004 Cadillac SRX (built after VIN breakpoint 40171353)

2005 Cadillac SRX

2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2005 Pontiac G6

1.7 hrs

2004 Cadillac SRX (prior to VIN breakpoint 40171353)

2.1 hrs

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Right, this upgrade list is for those years that had analog but digital-capable units, meaning they worked on analog but could be upgraded in the future. Earlier units were analog-only, and are not covered by this upgrade bulletin.

Z71Adrenaline and I are in the same boat with our '01's....although, I heard somewhat unofficially that some sort of retro fit may be available later in the year. Personally, I would pay $500 if I had to upgrade to digital, you would get that back at resale time. Plus, I can't stand to have stuff not work.

Yeah I hear you. I'm considering selling my truck anyway so this may be a deciding factor. I am looking for an 03 or 04 Z71 and I think the upgrades are available on them, right?

Yes,'03 & '04 is upgradable.But like Burbman said your '01 is not,At least not right now but maybe in the future.

Archived