Body Control Module????

Anyone know what a body control module is? After speaking with the service advisor on Saturday, she said they are going to replace the Body Control Module(s) on my still not starting truck. One they had in stock and she said there is a second that is on national back order.

Irregardless, I havent heard of a body control module and was curious if they were trying buy more time to eval the situation. :angry: Any responses appreciated.

SB

The BCM is just another computer for the truck.  On mine, it's located under the steering column.  In the pic, it's the peice that you see those blue conectors plugged into (You really can't see much of the BCM in the pics, but that's where it is.).  I guess all the new body style trucks have them in the same place.

under_dash.jpg

foglight_contr.jpg

The BCM is a chassis/body control unit that takes care of functions not taken care of by the ECM (eng functions) or TCM (trans functions) such as lighting, climate control, security etc. I'm not certain but perhaps there are some BCM type functions that directly or indirectly interfaces w/the ECM. I would seem reasonable that the starting environment (i.e trans in Park or Neutral etc) could play a role. Apparently the dealer is thinking along those lines. After reading the manual, I personally, think kengsxr comment is on the right track tho. ~ odoh

The BCM, TCM, and PCM all work in conjunction with one another.

AS mentioned previously, the BCM controls all things like HVAC, lighting, radio and other interior stuff as well as ABS, active/live by wire suspension, and traction control (in other vehicles).  It constantly interacts with the PCM especially for transmission control.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I get my truck back tomorrow. Part is replaced and ready to go.

Funny thing is, the dealer called me earlier and said "Your part is in, when do you want to bring your truck down?". I about came unglued. "You've only had it on your lot for the last 3 weeks".  This dealership never ceases to impress me.  :plainsmile:

Archived