Transmission Leak

When I was changing the oil on Sunday I noticed the front bottom of the torque converter housing (front of the transmission) was damp with transmission fluid. I took it to the dealer today and, as usual they wait for the last minute to look at it and now need to keep it another day.

They say they "think" it is the transmission pan gasket. I'm struggling with why the region forward of the transmission pan (torque converter housing) is wet with fluid if it is the pan gasket.

What do you guys think.

It's under warranty, but it's a PITA to keep going back to the dealership to chase a leak. I'd rather be driving my truck than some POS rental car.

I'm with you, not likely the leak would travel forward. I had a leak in mine and here's what I did.

First, I took off the access cover in the bellhousing and sprayed the crap out of it with brake cleaner. Then I drove it a little bit and stuck a flashlight into the access hole and I could see trans fluid inside the bellhousing confirming I had to re-seal the trans. If you clean out the bellhousing and there is no fluid in it, I would lean towards a pan gasket.

It's probably your transmission pump and front seal. I've had mine replaced twice already because they are prone to warping. It starts as the bottom of the bell housing is damp, then you'll get a drop or two here or there, then it gets progressively worse. If it only happens when you run the truck, then i'd guess pump and front seal. My 2 cents

I got the truck back and they claim it was the front protion of the pan gasket which is why the front of the transmission was wet. I still don't think that is it as I can't imagine the leak was big enough to spray fluid that far forward.

My guess is I'll be back at the dealership in a week or two, but maybe I'm wrong (at least I hope so).

Gotta love when you drop your new truck off for warranty work and they give you a POS to drive around, in this case a Pontiac Vibe. Peppy for a 4-banger, but handled like sh!t, brakes sucked, and it banged through every gear. They could have at least given me a truck.

I guess I can look at it in a positve light in that I got a fresh 6 qts of Dexron VI in there.

they give you a POS to drive around, in this case a Pontiac Vibe. Peppy for a 4-banger, but handled like sh!t, brakes sucked, and it banged through every gear.

Pontiac Vibe, aka Toyota Matrix, a POS?!?!?!?!? :D Why that's HERESY!!!!! The Toyota Mind Police will be comming after you! You must recant!!! Hurry, it might not be too late!

The front of the pan gasket will when leaking get on the inspection cover or bell housing and drip from it , I have seen it a 100 times when I had a Tranny shop..People would race in thinking it was a front seal and be shocked when i told them no it is just a pan gasket ..

• 1 year later...

Changed my oil today and noticed the same dampness on the bell housing. Question is... if it's a pain gasket, does the pan just need to be tightened or drop the pan and new gasket?

Figured I'd find out as much as I could before going to the dealer and letting them spray it with brake clean and telling me it's all fixed!

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know but I have the same thing.

The dealer is trying to tell me it is not covered under warranty because the seal is considered a "maintenance item", but the truck hasnt even hit the 50k mark to require the transmission maintenance. WTF?

Old thread I know but I have the same thing.

The dealer is trying to tell me it is not covered under warranty because the seal is considered a "maintenance item", but the truck hasnt even hit the 50k mark to require the transmission maintenance. WTF?

A maintenance item, huh? Ask your dealer where in the maintenance manual it instructs you to remove the torque converter from the transmission housing occasionally to check and replace the front pump seal.

That said, it could also be a leak from your torque converter. If it's not the front pump seal or the torque converter itself, it could be the o-ring on the shaft that your torque converter is mounted over if you are not able to shift into overdrive.

• 3 months later...

I just cleaned out from under mine last weekend. I changed the oil and noticed oil on the sway bar and the crossmember under the pan. I cleaned it all up real nicely. This afternoon I was out wiping the bugs off the front end of the truck and decided to see how my cleanup looked after it was dry. Surprise!! There is oil on the sway bar again. It is red and it is trans fluid. My truck is an 07 and has just rolled 45K miles. I am guessing it is coming from the front of the trans and not the pan.

Would this be something the dealer should take care of under warranty?

i'd be pounding the walls and shaking the cage if you have that problem that early, demand warranty...its like a grand to fix if you pay out of your own pocket at the dealer

front pump seal...i just had mine replaced, it began being moist then eventually began dripping down the trans...its a pricey fix to get done

Had mine done at 50k, consequently the tranny blew up at 52k. Anyway, the pump seal was under the 5yr powertrain warranty.

Archived