Power Steering And Power Brake Failure

I just went and jumped in the truck to move it a few feet so I could get something out of the bed and the truck had no power steering or brakes! Needless to say it isn't drivable!

Everything worked fine on friday when i parked it... Apearantly the power steering pump must provide boost for the brakes. The power steering resevior is full.

It's under warranty, so it'll have to be towed to the dealer tomorrow. (10,500 miles)

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

Might be the shaft failed in the power steering pump. They had a recall on my 2000 about the same issue and gave me a new power steering pump at no cost with 100,000 on the clock when it happened. Just be glad it didn't fail while driving down the highway.

On some trucks, the brakes are boosted by the power steering pump. You'll notice that there are hoses running from the power steering pump to the hydrobooster. Since both are out, I'd assume a problem with the power steering pump.

Might be the shaft failed in the power steering pump. They had a recall on my 2000 about the same issue and gave me a new power steering pump at no cost with 100,000 on the clock when it happened. Just be glad it didn't fail while driving down the highway.

Wish I had known about that - The shaft on my 2000 sheared off last year (I couldn't figure out how it just broke, with no blunt trauma).

If I had to guess, I would say it is the check valve inside of the resivoir. If the spring bindes up, it will fail to open. I changed one on my 03 DMax. It had the same symptoms. If yours is under warranty, I would just take it in. The dealer, probably won't change the valve. They will just change the whole pump. It is easier.

The power steering pump was replaced under warranty.

This is a dangerous problem if it were to go out on you while driving!

That's exactly what happened to me. I was exiting the highway (less than 1/4 of a mile from home) and she just went dead-stick on me. At least I was close enough that I was able to limp home by manhandling the wheel...

Archived