Removing Hinge Pins

I've been searching for a few hours now and reading a lot of comments about changing hinge pins and bushings, but I haven't found anyone talking specifically about the newer trucks. I have a 2002 1500 HD and I need to chagne a back door.

In each hinge, there are 2 short pins, not one long one like the pre 99's. How do I get these out? I've seen the TSB that says they can't be changed, but I've also found a lot of places selling the short hinge pins and the door that I picked up from the scrap yard has half a hing attached to it. They had to remove it somehow.

Thanks in advance

I hope your not planning on putting on the junk door because in most cases the doors wont align up.The hinges have to be fitted to every vehicle because of the different assembly plants. The hinge & pin are a set and as far as i know its a dealer item only.

Thanks redvett. That's what I was planning to do. I was thinking that I would at least try to line them up and if they don't, then I'll have a body shop do it. I was hoping that with the advent of technology, that gm was using robots or a machine to put the hinges on and hoping that they would be in the same spot and work. I hadn't come across that bit of information yet though. Thanks. Maybe I'll just take it to the body shop as is and have them remove the old door and mount the new one. Just didn't want to pay for more work than I had to.

I am retired from GM Engineering and yes robots & fixtures are used but with 6 GMT800-900 plants its very hard to get all to be 100%. You may be lucky but with the stackup of tolerences its a crap shoot at best.

I took the following from Alldata:

2003 GMC Truck K 1500 Yukon 4WD V8-5.3L VIN Z Flex Fuel

Top - Vehicle

Body and Frame

. Doors, Hood and Trunk

. . Door

. . . Service and Repair

. . . . Door Replacement - Front

Notes

Door Replacement - Front

DOOR REPLACEMENT - FRONT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Remove the door trim panel.

Remove the mirror.

Remove the window glass.

Remove the window module.

Remove the inside door handle.

Remove the outside door handle.

Remove the door lock actuator.

Remove the weatherstrip from the door.

Disconnect the door wire harness.

Remove the door check link bolt from the pillar side.

Remove the bolts from the upper door hinge and the lower door hinge.

With the aid of an assistant, lift the door up from the hinge pins, and remove the door from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

With the aid of an assistant, install the door to the vehicle by placing the door on the hinge pins.

Install the bolts to the upper door hinge and the lower door hinge. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the hinge bolts to 25 N.m (18 lb ft) .

Install the door check link bolt to the pillar side. Tighten Tighten the door check link bolt to 25 N.m (18 lb ft) .

Connect the door wire harness.

Install the weatherstrip to the door.

Install the door lock actuator.

Install the outside door handle.

Install the inside door handle.

Install the window module.

Install the window glass.

Install the mirror.

Install the door trim panel.

Inspect the alignment of the door.

Remove the door trim panel.

Remove the mirror.

Remove the window glass.

Remove the window module.

Remove the inside door handle.

Remove the outside door handle.

Remove the door lock actuator.

Remove the weatherstrip from the door.

Disconnect the door wire harness.

You should be able to avoid thises steps. If its close to the OBS Pre'99 doors. You just need a jack(or anything to support the door) and a friend to hold it steady. A hammer and punch to remove/install the pins.

Thanks all for the replies. It really was just that simple to swap the door. Maybe that's why I couldn't find instructions online anywhere. Once I removed the bolt in the middle of the hinge, the door just lifts off of the pins. I had to give the bottom of the door side of the hinge a little love with a rubber mallet to pop it loose, but it was really quite easy.

The new door lined up reasonably well. It was about 1/8th - 3/16ths low, so I put a spacer under the hinge bushings and all was good.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I get to know this truck. Thanks again,

Archived