Check Engine Code

The trucks engine light came on today while on the highway so I stopped by Autozone to get it scanned, it read a P0466, which I googled and got: P0466 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. Im not sure what the hell this is, so I guess I gotta stop by the dealer :D

The autozone guy said something about pressure and it has something to do with the fuel tank. :chevy:

PS I tryed the search, nothing came up or it wasnt working.

Also, heres a link to all the codes that can be thrown and what they are - P0100-P0950

http://www.loveallpeople.org/automotivedia...efinitions.html

The trucks engine light came on today while on the highway so I stopped by Autozone to get it scanned, it read a P0466, which I googled and got: P0466 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. Im not sure what the hell this is, so I guess I gotta stop by the dealer :D

The autozone guy said something about pressure and it has something to do with the fuel tank. :chevy:

Also, heres a link to all the codes that can be thrown and what they are - P0100-P0950

Haynes book has nothing on that code. I'm going to get a subscription to alldata probably today for something work I need to look into for my truck. When I do I'll take a look at what it has to say about p0466.

Ok alldata doesn't have anything for that code for my year truck it just gave me a bunch of fuel and evap system links. It might be something only on newer models. Did the autozone guy erase your code, and if he did has it come back yet? If it stays off you might not have problem. Supposedly this code is supposed to come along with a couple others so if you didn't get them that is a good sign.

Haynes book has nothing on that code. I'm going to get a subscription to alldata probably today for something work I need to look into for my truck. When I do I'll take a look at what it has to say about p0466.

Ok alldata doesn't have anything for that code for my year truck it just gave me a bunch of fuel and evap system links. It might be something only on newer models. Did the autozone guy erase your code, and if he did has it come back yet? If it stays off you might not have problem. Supposedly this code is supposed to come along with a couple others so if you didn't get them that is a good sign.

Check your gas cap.

He didn't clear the code, I was in a hurry to get to the house, Ill check the gas cap.

Not a gas cap problem.

There is a TSB on your condition.

BTW, there is no p0466 code.

The correct code is p0446.

You have a faulty canister purge valve, near your fuel tank. Go to your GM dealer and pick up part number 19152345. It is an updated part.

Very common to see this code. I work at a GM Dealer.

Ok here it is. Thanks to 98Z71 with the right code :chevy:

evap_canister.gif

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

2. Remove the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister vent valve bracket mount bolt.

3. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

4. Remove the vent pipe (3) from the EVAP canister vent valve (2).

5. Detach the EVAP canister vent valve (2) from the EVAP canister vent valve bracket.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the EVAP canister vent valve (2) to the EVAP canister vent valve bracket.

2. Connect the vent pipe (3) to the EVAP canister vent valve (2).

3. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

4. Install the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mount bolt. Tighten Tighten the bracket bolt to 12 N.m (106 lb in)

5. Lower the vehicle.

Here's the TSB I pulled up on the code:

Emissions - SES Lamp ON/DTC P0446 Stored in Memory

Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-037B

Date: October 16, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:

DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly with Service Kit)

Models:

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the instrument panel SES light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause

Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Correction

After following the Service Information diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the SES light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent valve assembly with a new assembly. This new assembly is a sealed unit that is designed to be vented through a remote filter box.

To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.

1999-2003 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19152345)

Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.

Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

Disengage the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody. Remove the clips from the underbody and discard.

Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.

Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.

Remove the complete EVAP canister vent valve assembly with bracket attached and discard.

The new canister vent valve will be installed in a new location, outside of the frame.

Position and secure the new valve assembly to the frame bracket on the outside of the frame using the existing hole and mounting bolt.

Tighten

Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 N.m (106 lb in).

Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.

Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.

Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

Secure the filter box to the fuel lines above the transmission using a tie strap. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

Lower the vehicle.

2004-2007 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19152349)

Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.

Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.

Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.

Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect end.

Crew Cab Short Box Shown, Other Configurations Similar

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.

Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

Secure the filter box to the fuel lines above the transmission using a tie strap. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

Lower the vehicle.

evap_canistervalve.jpg

Thanks Svenskiowskov! :chevy: I was in a hurry, I must have written the numbers wrong or heard them wrong. 10 steps doesnt seem too bad, but nothing ever does until your doing it :D

Im going to stop by the dealer Tuesday on my day off, just to see what they say, and see how bad they want to attempt to rip me off. I really dont want them fixing this because they will probobly reflash the entire system to clear the code, and good bye tune.

My wife's Yukon has been throwing that code for almost 2 yrs now! I did the update listed in these posts http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=dichdoc I used the most up to date bullitin and cost me around $60.00 and it still throws the code. The "latest" bullitin you posted priced out at $130 from gm parts direct. What do you all think? Should I spend the cash or go with the black electrical tape service bullitin? Have you had good luck with the latest fix. Thanks Travis

So this equipment basically does what? Does it have to do with fuel tank pressure or CLM you said it has to do with evaporation? I dont go off roading, Ive off roaded once, which was last fall. I did some dohnuts in a grass field. Other than that its a pavement pounder. Ill probobly take it to the dealer when my girl friend gets here. I swear if they reflash my computer afterwards and I loose my tune its over for them guys :rolleyes:

New Update: went to the stealer. err dealer and told them the engine light was on, I got it scanned at autozone and got a P0446. Then a few days later the light went off, so I just wanted a scan, and to see how much the new canister WOULD cost.

Well, after I sat inside for an hour, staring at my truck which sat for 50 minutes, they pulled it in, then they came and talked to me. The lady said what I already knew, the code, and what it would cost to get it fixed. She said the new canister was 141.38 for the vent canister, 10 bucks for a bracket, 56 for installation. I said ok Ill come back if the problem returns. She said Ok were charging you 50 bucks for a diagnostic check, she gave the cashier my keys and paper work. I raised hell. I said I payed you guys 15 grand for a truck, and you wont scan my computer for free and tell me whats wrong? Autozone did it for free. They said we usually charge people 80 bucks for a check. I said Im not paying 50 bucks to have some monkey check my computer for codes (exact words). She talked to the manager and they ended up not charging me anything.

So later today Im going to the dealer my buddies uncle works at, he's head of the commercial truck division.

Hah...nice.

They should have told you before hand what the cost of taking a look at the DTC was going to be. Any reputable repair shop would have given you a before hand labor price.

I know you said you don't want to mess with it, but you could get the part from NAPA or Autozone for a lot less or even order it off GMpartsDirect for cheaper. It really doesn't look like it would take more than 20 minutes to do it yourself.

Archived