Payload Capacity

I upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500HD yesterday, where can I locate the payload capacity? The book says talk to the dealer and that got me nowhere.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Extended Cab 4x4 6.0 4:10

Thanks in advance

The only way to really know is to weigh the truck and subract it from your GVWR. Different trim packages weigh more or less. A full load Duramax 2500HD is about 7500 lbs, with the driver and a full tank of fuel. Subract that from 9200, and your payload is 1700lbs. My 2500HD SLE ( 6.0l )with me, my wife, and fuel is 6600 lbs.

I upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500HD yesterday, where can I locate the payload capacity? The book says talk to the dealer and that got me nowhere.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Extended Cab 4x4 6.0 4:10

Thanks in advance

Payload ratings are only for the manufacturer to stay legal and out of harms way if you do something stupid. I have put over 3,000 lbs of gravel in the back of my 2500HD long bed repetitively and driven hundreds of miles with it (put me over 10,000 lbs gross weight). Just watch your springs and braking. Don't load it all the way so all the springs are touching and thus goiving you no room for flex. Trucks don't break if you are safe and smart with them.

keep in mind GVRW "Payload" is merely a legal statement for the manufacturer. My '06 2500hd hits the scales at 5700 w/ me and a full tank and a GVRW of 9200... the suspension on these trucks will easily handle 4K pounds as I often have well over 2K in the bed and hardly notice it. You just have to know what you are doing and watch your springpacks... oh, the 140 weight amsoil in the 14 bolt will ease your concious a little bit too!

keep in mind GVRW "Payload" is merely a legal statement for the manufacturer. My '06 2500hd hits the scales at 5700 w/ me and a full tank and a GVRW of 9200... the suspension on these trucks will easily handle 4K pounds as I often have well over 2K in the bed and hardly notice it. You just have to know what you are doing and watch your springpacks... oh, the 140 weight amsoil in the 14 bolt will ease your concious a little bit too!

Thanks for that. I was really doubting that 7500 pound weight someone posted up there. The payload for my Duramax is listed as 3352 with GVWR of 9200. That leaves a curb weight of 5848. I know the 9200 includes driver and gas, but the fact is a "3/4 ton" can hold a ton and a half.

The spec sheet for my truck(my 2006 2500HD extcab 6.0L 2wd silverado) says 3802lbs before you factor in the drivers weight and weight of gas in your tank. So for me I would say that 3400-3500 is the "safe" weight for my truck. But these trucks are much stronger than you might think.

Before this truck I had a 2001 3/4 ton Suburban, and I have loaded that thing several times with no issues. The one time I remember clearly was when I was building my kids a playground set/area. I had 80 bags(50lbs each) of playsand, 18 landscaping timbers(small kind) and the playground set, in the back of the truck and the springs did not bottom out. Granted I made sure that I had enough room for extra breaking, but I can say that the truck felt fine and not really even seemed to be "working" hard.

Hope this helps!

The payload capacity should be located on the glove compartment door. Your payload amount is about 1800lbs (3/4 ton).

OK. Found it: 1878 pounds. But on the Chevy site it says: (2500HD XCab LB 4X4)

"Payload Capacity: Maximum payload capacity includes weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment and cargo. " and in this case: 3352 pounds. Curb weight: 5838. GVWR: 9200. This same figure is also on the typical dealer brochures.

Math: 9200-5838=3352

Weight of gasoline: 5.8-6.5 pounds (source), so say 6 pounds average for ease of calculation. 34 gallon tank full = 204 pounds.

Weight of optional equipment. I don't think there is a significant difference between work truck and LT3. If there is, it couldn't possibly be a lot. I can see adding bed rails and nerf bars. They aren't light. So...

3352 rated payload capacity with gas, people, optional stuff

-204 full tank of 34 gallons

-400 two guys

-200 'optional' equipment strictly a w/a guess

--------

So I'm having a hard time reconciling these two numbers. There are two definitions of "payload capacity" provided by Chevy: One includes passenger, gas, and optional equipment. One just said "payload capacity." They don't match. In fact, they aren't even close: almost 700 pounds. Thatsalota rocks.

Help.

what is the towing rating for an 2005 1500HD 2wd Vin # 1GCGC13U35F905346 ??? I am thinking of buying this truck in the next couple of days but I know NOTHING about them, is it a good truck if I am just wanting to pull an 18' trailer with 4 full sized utility atvs?

Keep in mind, just because they state the capacity doesn't mean you can't go over it.

They picked that number based on a bunch of things such as:

Can you safely stop in a panic situation (so we --GM-- don't get sued)

Will the truck components fail under the load (so we --GM-- don't get sued)

Will the customer take the time to calculate to the pound what they can carry..probably not so let's underestimate (so we --GM-- don't get sued)

If you go over it and something bad happens, then you're on your own...

I've had WAY too much topsoil in the back of my 2500HD and other than blowing a belt on a tire, no problems. The guy loading the thing had a two yard bucket on his loader....I thought he'd stop and he thought I'd tell him when. It turned out to be a match of Chicken. I finally gave in when the springs were flat...he still had 1/4 of the load to go. I only had three miles or so to take it so no problem...but I went real slow.

If my springs went flying out the sides, you think GM would have helped me out? HA!

If I could sell that one to them, then I'm in the wrong business....I should be in Real Estate.

Good Luck

Tony

The payload capacity should be located on the glove compartment door. Your payload amount is about 1800lbs (3/4 ton).

OK. Found it: 1878 pounds. But on the Chevy site it says: (2500HD XCab LB 4X4)

"Payload Capacity: Maximum payload capacity includes weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment and cargo. " and in this case: 3352 pounds. Curb weight: 5838. GVWR: 9200. This same figure is also on the typical dealer brochures.

Math: 9200-5838=3352

Weight of gasoline: 5.8-6.5 pounds (source), so say 6 pounds average for ease of calculation. 34 gallon tank full = 204 pounds.

Weight of optional equipment. I don't think there is a significant difference between work truck and LT3. If there is, it couldn't possibly be a lot. I can see adding bed rails and nerf bars. They aren't light. So...

3352 rated payload capacity with gas, people, optional stuff

-204 full tank of 34 gallons

-400 two guys

-200 'optional' equipment strictly a w/a guess

--------

So I'm having a hard time reconciling these two numbers. There are two definitions of "payload capacity" provided by Chevy: One includes passenger, gas, and optional equipment. One just said "payload capacity." They don't match. In fact, they aren't even close: almost 700 pounds. Thatsalota rocks.

Help.

Archived