Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

E85 Conversion Kits

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#16 vortec22

vortec22

Enthusiast

• 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:40 AM

I now realize I just repeated most of what Haulin 8.1 said above!
2003 2500 Ext. cab 4x4 6.0
1971 GMC 2500 4x4 8"lift 350 FI 36.5x15.5x16 MT's
1969 Buick Riv GS 430 mostly stock

#17 brnr17

brnr17

Enthusiast

• 296 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

ya know a big problem around here is ... i like some ppl wouldbe interested in doing it but the availability of E85 is so limited ur scared to go anywhere cause u dont knwo if u'll find it again! LOL
2007 NBS Chevy Silverado 6.0L crew cab! 3" zone body, 2"RC level kit, 295 trail grapplers, blackbear tuned!

#18 -Devil-

-Devil-

Enthusiast

• 648 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

i dont even know of a place around me that sells it or i would convert all my cars and the truck over to it ...

#19 BryanH

BryanH

Enthusiast

• 241 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

I haven't done much research on it but I do know that the GM 5.3L has a sensor that detects the ethanol ratio (its not always the same due to weather mixes) and the ECU looks at that input and adjusts the ratio accordingly.

If you already work with a tuner I don't see why they wouldn't be able to account for the sensor addition and fuel map changes.

You can though your fuel system and see what is different between the 5.3 and whatever you may have and replace it (as mentioned you need to replace rubbers and regular steels).

I don't know if it is still true but I believe its illegal in smog checking states to adapt a vehicle to run on an alternative fuel yourself. Because of the existence of the required OEM parts for e85 I don't think it would ever be noticed.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4WD 4WS

#20 theno1prince

theno1prince

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

Here's a link to some interesting info for those who have doubts about converting a car to run on e85. Be sure you watch the video too. www.change2e85.com

Edited by theno1prince, 16 August 2007 - 12:23 PM.

"What do you mean it doesn't fit? (thoughtful pause) Where's my hammer?"

#21 dave justice

dave justice

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

I bought my conversion kit at www.change2E85.com too. Love their installation video! The "I want pie!" kid is too cute. I talked to a mechanic who tried out the Full Flex. He said that the factory injectors work great with ethanol. He tried using bigger injectors, however they did not ionize the ethanol as well as the factory ones. The bigger injectors also made it more difficult to be a flex vehicle (switching to gas) since the injectors were too big. I can't begin to tell you how please I am with the Full Flex. I only need about 10% more ethanol in my truck.

#22 Colorado Kid

Colorado Kid

Enthusiast

• 373 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

I'm thinking about adding this conversion kit to my '96. I use E85 in the '04 and am happy with it. Haven't talked myself into the $500 yet.

Edited by Colorado Kid, 24 October 2007 - 06:37 PM.

2004 Chevy Suburban 1500. 5.3L Alcoholic/4L60-E. Silver Birch
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE Duramax/6 speed 2WD CC SB Fire Red . . .Gone.
1996 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 5.0L/5 speed 2WD RC LB Fire Red

#23 ryank1

ryank1

Enthusiast

• 189 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

Just FYI

Subject: Use of E85 Fuels in Vehicles Not Certified As Being FlexFuel Compatible/Aftermarket Conversion of Vehicles to Operate on E85 Fuels #06-06-04-035 - (07/13/2006)

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks NOT FlexFuel (E85) Compatible (including Saturn)

2007 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aftermarket Conversions of Vehicles to Use E85 Fuels
General Motors has become aware of several companies that claim to be able to convert vehicles equipped with gasoline engines to be compatible with E85 Fuels.

• Vehicles certified by GM as being FlexFuel (E85) compatible contain numerous calibration and component differences that are not conducive to an aftermarket retrofit.

• General Motors DOES NOT support or endorse conversions that may alter the emissions and related emissions components of its vehicles.

• Repairs that may result from changes to GM built components, and repairs that result from the use of improper fuel, such as the use of gasoline containing more than 10% Ethanol in a non-FlexFuel certified vehicle, are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

E85 Compatible Vehicles
The only E85 compatible vehicles produced by General Motors are:

• 2000-2002 S-Series pickups with 2.2L (VIN 5- RPO L43)

• 2002-2005 full-size pickups and utilities with 5.3L (VIN Z -- L59)

• 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe with 5.3L (VIN Z -- RPO L59)

• 2006 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo with 3.5L (VIN K -- RPO LZE)

• 2006 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL with 5.3L (VIN Z -- RPO L59)

• 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe with 5.3L (VINs 0, 3 -- RPOs LMG, LC9)

• 2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL with 5.3L (VINs 0, 3 -- RPOs LMG, LC9)

• 2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo with 3.5L (VIN K -- RPO LZE)

• 2007 Saturn Relay, Buick Terraza, Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac Montana SV6 (Canada Only) with 3.9L (VIN W -- RPO LGD)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1847183
2007 Chevrolet HHR

#24 Colorado Kid

Colorado Kid

Enthusiast

• 373 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

Not much warranty left on my '96 with 126,000 miles anyway, but no surprize GM isn't thrilled with aftermarket conversion.
2004 Chevy Suburban 1500. 5.3L Alcoholic/4L60-E. Silver Birch
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE Duramax/6 speed 2WD CC SB Fire Red . . .Gone.
1996 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 5.0L/5 speed 2WD RC LB Fire Red

#25 change2E85.com

change2E85.com

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

well i realize of course no dealer would reccomend any such thing, has anyone ever tried these E85 converion kits you see for sale?

We are www.change2E85.com. We have new car dealerships that recommend the conversion kits. In fact they sell and install them. Hummer, Chevy, Ford, Lexus, Hyundai are part of our short list. They will talk to any dealership’s service manager in the country and explain that the conversions will not void a new car warranty. You can have your dealership contact us and we can get the ball rolling.

GM is not thrilled with these conversion kits and is paying big money to crush us through scare tactics and myths. They want you to buy a new car or truck and not convert. They paid Motorweek big bucks to spread a bunch of rumors last weekend. We got the last laugh as our largest resellers are a Hummer dealer and a Chevy dealer. Also listen to our podcasts where two of the top ASE master mechanics tout our conversion kits even in high horsepower applications: http://www.change2e8...template=Videos.

#26 damoperator

damoperator

Enthusiast

• 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

I too received my Flx7193 from diablosport on thursday. I have not ran a full tank of e85 yet. The tank that i am on now is 1/2 87oct and 1/2 e85, power and mileage seems great for now. I'll know more when i fill up and crunch some numbers

#27 gwrace

gwrace

Enthusiast

• 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

I too received my Flx7193 from diablosport on thursday. I have not ran a full tank of e85 yet. The tank that i am on now is 1/2 87oct and 1/2 e85, power and mileage seems great for now. I'll know more when i fill up and crunch some numbers

Has anyone run the payback numbers? With only a .30 savings in price for E85 and a 10-15% loss in efficiency and a $500 cost for the conversion I could not see any payback at all. In fact my numbers show it's about 2 cent cheaper per mile to run gasoline in South Central Texas.

I'm still waiting for lower cost alternate energy source that is at least as efficient as what we have today.

I've even run the numbers on bio-diesel for my truck and nothing to be gained their unles you want to spend all your time rounding up WVO.

Edited by gwrace, 28 March 2008 - 11:24 PM.

#28 Haulin' 8.1

Haulin' 8.1

Enthusiast

• 670 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

As of right now there's not any savings to be had in Texas. From what I see other guys in more E85 abundent areas the price is lower to the point it reduces operating costs. I don't run it to save money, it costs me more.

Vernon
2001 Siverado HD 2500 SBCC in Black
GM Vortec 8100, Allison, 3.73, 4X4
Mods: Goodmark SS cowl hood, Ranch Hand bumpers, black toolbox, custom bed cover, full tint, Volant with home made ram air, BBK 80mm TB, Granetelli MAF, Marine Injectors, Hypertech, Champion RS12YC plugs, Magnaflow 3" dual in X-path dual out muffler and tail pipes, Fuzion XTi 265's, Velvet Rides, Pioneer 10" subs, amps, you know the usual stuff.
Coming soon: 4.56 gears, Autorotor supercharger by Whipple with Duramax intercooler, and GM HP3 cylinder heads.
If you've modded your 8.1's timing and run hard try Champion RS12YC plugs gapped at 0.055". Less knock, more power. Yes you have to change them more often (25K), but this is a performance mod. Besides they're cheap and easy to do.

Yea though I drive the the valley of the shadow of Diesel,
I will fear no turbo;
For your horsepower art with me;
Your bore and stroke, they comfort me.

#29 Craig Phillips

Craig Phillips

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

hey folks, this is my first post ever so please bear with me.I have an 04 gmc 2500 HD 4x4 6.0l with an intercooled magnison supercharger kit installed. I've got over 30k troube free miles on the kit and 38k on the truck.My question is,with the higher occtane rating of e85,would there be any power and/or ecconomy advantages to this conversion and if so how should I go about it?

#30 racerx55

racerx55

Enthusiast

• 38 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:56 AM

hey folks, this is my first post ever so please bear with me.I have an 04 gmc 2500 HD 4x4 6.0l with an intercooled magnison supercharger kit installed. I've got over 30k troube free miles on the kit and 38k on the truck.My question is,with the higher occtane rating of e85,would there be any power and/or ecconomy advantages to this conversion and if so how should I go about it?

you can make alot of power on e85, my awd talon - a 2.0L 4 cyl, is running 11's on e85 with 25 psi boost and zero detonation.not to mention the other cars making a boatload more power than me on it. i have plenty of room to add boost and make more power once i put in a second 255L fuel pump and go to 1600cc injectors. e85 is awsome for forced induction because of less heat and its tolerance against detonation, and you can really crank the timing up high. economy as far as mileage goes down, and when you start making alot of power you wont belive how much fuel you need to stuff into it, but its great stuff either way. my car is tuned with a laptop so its a little different there. if you plan on making alot of power with the supercharger youll have to go with a larger fuel pump and probly pretty good sized injectors, as long as you can monitor evrything like injector duty, fuel pressure, knock, things like that, give it all its got.
to just drive it as is i think youll be fine.