E85 Conversion Kits

well i realize of course no dealer would reccomend any such thing, has anyone ever tried these E85 converion kits you see for sale?

i made my car run on E85 by putting in larger injectors then using an air /fuel controller to adjust the ratio.it just recalibrates the signal from the airflow meter to the ECU. you have to add about 60% more fuel. and its hard to keep the CEL from lighting.

just wondering if anyone has ever used a kit. im in the process of converting my 6.0L soon as i can make sure the stock injectors will flow enough. :D

i seen a kit for it for almost $600 but i can make it all myself for less than half that.

if it works out for my truck i can hook you up with details on doing it much cheaper than buying a kit. im trying to make the setup like the kits that will automatically change the fuel amount so i dont have to do it manually with a controller and guages like on my car. if i get it all worked out good i bet i could sell that setup for much cheaper than these websites are geting. $600 or more is crazy. it dont cost that much for the stuff. mine wouldnt be EPA approved like those so thats probly where they can make the big $$, and i would get crapped on.

Im working on converting my 04 GTO to Flex Fuel.

With the proper fuel composition sensor and a Flex Fuel aware OS flashed to the PCM (I am a competent tuner), along with necessary hardware upgrades (bigger pump, 60# injectors) it should be a fun project. Any mixture of gas/ethanol should be automatically handled by the PCM. No knob twisting, no pulse width hacks to the injectors which make PCM's lose their mind, all automagic.

Ive been running E85 in my non-flec fuel 2000 saturn for giggles and so far no codes or problems. Runs like a top. Power is now same as stock, but mileage is down about 20-25%.

Once I get the GTO worked out, going to do the same with my 8.1 2500HD.

E85 is 80cents cheaper where I live than LOW octane; and the GTO requires premium (supercharged)

i keep hearing about E85 and issues with O rings, rubber & corroding certain fuel lines, i suppose theyre mainly talkig about older stuff.

my turbo talon loves E85 but i can burn a full tank (12 gal) in less than an hour with 28 Psi boost :troll:

fill me in on programming, something ive never worked with. i learn anything fast

to get my car to compensate automatically i modified my wideband o2 sensor into an air fuel controller that just alters the signal from the airflow meter and its workin great so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried some E-85 for 30 miles and it's working great. My wierd combo of parts happens to work with the E-85. So far all I've noticed is better power. I have a question about the corrosion aspect though, are the fuel system components in my '01 all that different than the E-85 spec models? Is there a known good additive that will protect the system if not?

Vernon

I just tried some E-85 for 30 miles and it's working great. My wierd combo of parts happens to work with the E-85. So far all I've noticed is better power. I have a question about the corrosion aspect though, are the fuel system components in my '01 all that different than the E-85 spec models? Is there a known good additive that will protect the system if not?

Vernon

What I know about running E85 thru a system not originally made for it, is that ALL components that come in contact with the E85 fuel must be upgraded to handle the corrosive nature of E85. This includes all fuel lines. You will not see the components fall apart in front of your eyes, but over time the E85 will eat away at your fuel system. I have heard this will happen in a few thousand miles, but I am not for sure.

Good luck in your conversions!

:banghead:

I was thinking the same thing but I've been reasearching it and here's what I'm finding. There's a big difference between Ethanol (E-85) and Methanol. Ethanol isn't nearly as corrosive as Methanol and modern fuel systems are sufficiently able to withstand continued use of Ethanol, hence the Flex Fuel models within GM's own truck and SUV fleet. Some guys who post on other forums I frequent live overseas where this fuel has been availiable for 2 years and have been running it ever since without any issues on late model GM F-bodys.

I'm loving the extra HP and super driving manners. I'm going to hook up to a scan tool today and see where my fuel trims are at, it's very possible I'll get better by increasing my fuel pressure to get the delivered A/F ratio in line with the expected.

Vernon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just put in 20 gal. of e85 in my 05 sierra 5.3 and the engine light came on within the first 10 miles. I added about 10 gal. of 87 after i drove around a bit and the light is off now. Im trying to talk myself into buying the $500 conversion kit. The engine seemed to run the same with it in.

Well, I was wanting a tuner anyways to adjust tire size and do away with some of the torque management so I bought the E85 Diablosport. I have only had the opportunity to run one tank of E85 so far, but the truck ran great on it, smooth and strong as on regular fuel. I love the smell of the exhaust too! I didn't have any check engine lights or codes while running it either.

That's cool Trevor, keep us informed. It would be wise to change out the fuel filter, now and in a couple of months. The Ethanol really cleans out the plumbing. Mine was clogged up after three months, I just changed it today and got some of the original pep back.

Vernon

I might try that out if its working for you guys! ive been looking for a kit like that for awhile.

Though Ive been told the E85 engines use different fuel lines, filters and O rings in the fuel injectors. I think when your filter plugs up, its because of the alcohol corroding away the regular fuel lines.

I might try that out if its working for you guys! ive been looking for a kit like that for awhile.

Though Ive been told the E85 engines use different fuel lines, filters and O rings in the fuel injectors. I think when your filter plugs up, its because of the alcohol corroding away the regular fuel lines.

It's not that corrosive. The filter was plugged up with gasoline residue pulled off the tank walls.

Vernon

Yeah, from everything I read the ethanol isn't really that corrosive. Methanol is, which is why many people think the ethanol would be too, or they confuse the two. The ethanol does seem to clean up any gunk in the tank and lines left from running regular fuel which could cause filters to clog. I haven't had any problems yet though.

Archived