Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

E85 Conversion Kits

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#31 Craig Phillips

Craig Phillips

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

Thanks racerx55 for the input,but I already have plenty of power. I,m trying to find out if I put a smaller pulley on the blower to raise the comp. ratio,will I be able to compensate for lower power to volume fuel by taking advantage of e-85's 105 octane. Also,will my Radix programing be able to adjust?

#32 TedH

TedH

Enthusiast

• 109 posts
  • Drives:2003 Silverado 4.8L Ext Cab Z71 Fire Red

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

if it works out for my truck i can hook you up with details on doing it much cheaper than buying a kit. im trying to make the setup like the kits that will automatically change the fuel amount so i dont have to do it manually with a controller and guages like on my car. if i get it all worked out good i bet i could sell that setup for much cheaper than these websites are geting. $600 or more is crazy. it dont cost that much for the stuff. mine wouldnt be EPA approved like those so thats probly where they can make the big $$, and i would get crapped on.

If you ever finalized the solution for your truck, I'd be interested in learning from what you've done. I have a 2003 Silverado with the 4.8L engine.

#33 weymard

weymard

Enthusiast

• 588 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

I buy and test the Change2e85.com kit for my vmax 6,0L AFM 2007/08
and I test it. I have a problem : the passage of the first 2 reports of the gearbox are very
very rough ! The check engine is flashing (it is ok in first time). Now I remove the kit I am afraid about my gearbox.
have you an idea why the gearbox is so rough ?
Posted Image

#34 Texsrt4

Texsrt4

Enthusiast

• 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

if you have a GMT900 truck, you are already capable of running e-85 if you have hptuners or some other means of tuning the truck. its in the software already, just turned off

#35 weymard

weymard

Enthusiast

• 588 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:08 AM

:idiot: Oh thanks ! If I well understand with a tunes i can turned on the software ! Which one do you advise me? Just for E85, I do not want more HP !!
Posted Image

#36 See Ya

See Ya

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,233 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

I have a question about E85. My 03 2500HD says it's flex fuel compatible, does that mean I am ready to just go out and fill up with E85? Or do I still need to add a conversion kit? There are no E85 stations near me, nor have I ever came across one yet. I am just curious about if I were to ever fill up with the E85, am I all good to go.
Moved on.

#37 weymard

weymard

Enthusiast

• 588 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

I have a question about E85. My 03 2500HD says it's flex fuel compatible, does that mean I am ready to just go out and fill up with E85? Or do I still need to add a conversion kit? There are no E85 stations near me, nor have I ever came across one yet. I am just curious about if I were to ever fill up with the E85, am I all good to go.

If your 2500 hd is flex fuel compatible, you do not need a kit, you are ready to fill up with E85 ! Lucky man !! My is 1500 is not flex compatible and I need to turn on the software (if I understand well), with old engine you need a kit except if as yours it is says "flexfuel compatible"
Posted Image

#38 See Ya

See Ya

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,233 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info..
Moved on.

#39 daltongc

daltongc

Enthusiast

• 21 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra 1500 SLT

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

everyone, I ran onto this video some time back because I was curious about the effects of running e-85 in a non flex-fuel vehicle.

check it out and make your own opinions about it. I would avoid using E-85 if the vehicle is new enough to be under warranty. It wouldn't make sense to void a warranty because of it.

To put this to the test, I have been running some e-85 in my old beater 1995 Buick Roadmaster with a 5.7 LT1 engine. As you know, the lt1 is port fuel injected. My car has 140k miles on it and runs well. So far, I've been topping of a half tank of regular unleaded with e-85. The car runs great and has never given any check engine light or caused the slightest problem. I haven't had an opportunity to compare fuel mileage against regular unleaded, but at nearly $1 per gallon less, it can make a little less mileage and still be cheaper to run. Additionally, my brother has a 1994 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton with the 318 and he's been using e-85 in it after we talked about this. His truck has 170k and he's had no ill effects from it either. Neither of us bought any conversion kits or made any modifications to anything.

I don't have any stock in the local ethanol plant, but I'm willing to explore other sources of fuel, especially if it has the potential to save some money without damaging the engine!
2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL
2001 GMC Sierra SLE ext cab 2wd
To date: 89 vehicles and counting!

#40 weymard

weymard

Enthusiast

• 588 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

everyone, I ran onto this video some time back because I was curious about the effects of running e-85 in a non flex-fuel vehicle.

check it out and make your own opinions about it. I would avoid using E-85 if the vehicle is new enough to be under warranty. It wouldn't make sense to void a warranty because of it.

To put this to the test, I have been running some e-85 in my old beater 1995 Buick Roadmaster with a 5.7 LT1 engine. As you know, the lt1 is port fuel injected. My car has 140k miles on it and runs well. So far, I've been topping of a half tank of regular unleaded with e-85. The car runs great and has never given any check engine light or caused the slightest problem. I haven't had an opportunity to compare fuel mileage against regular unleaded, but at nearly $1 per gallon less, it can make a little less mileage and still be cheaper to run. Additionally, my brother has a 1994 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton with the 318 and he's been using e-85 in it after we talked about this. His truck has 170k and he's had no ill effects from it either. Neither of us bought any conversion kits or made any modifications to anything.

I don't have any stock in the local ethanol plant, but I'm willing to explore other sources of fuel, especially if it has the potential to save some money without damaging the engine!

To complete your interresting post, I have tested in my 6,0 L engine in first 10 %, after 20 %, mixture E85 with S95 (I do not know the equivalence with your US octane), no problem, no check engine, but with 30 % of E85 the check engine ligth on but the engine was good, I add 5 % S95 and the check engine light off. I have a friend who add 50% E85 in his 2002 Tahoe without problem, but with 60 % of E85 the check engine ligth on. Other friend have a dodge ram 4L7 2002 and the chek engine ligth on with mixture of E85 at 50% ! I have a lot of example of it. So with mixture E85 you have less mileage, it is normal. But on my jaguar XJ40 (1995) with 4,0 L engine (6 cylinders ) I put a kit, the mileage was a little less, very little, and I drive very very fast .... !
I think that between 1992 and 2000 you do not need a kit E85, after the software is more successful, more delicate to adjust and a kit becomes necessary.
Posted Image

#41 daltongc

daltongc

Enthusiast

• 21 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra 1500 SLT

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

To complete your interresting post, I have tested in my 6,0 L engine in first 10 %, after 20 %, mixture E85 with S95 (I do not know the equivalence with your US octane), no problem, no check engine, but with 30 % of E85 the check engine ligth on but the engine was good, I add 5 % S95 and the check engine light off. I have a friend who add 50% E85 in his 2002 Tahoe without problem, but with 60 % of E85 the check engine ligth on. Other friend have a dodge ram 4L7 2002 and the chek engine ligth on with mixture of E85 at 50% ! I have a lot of example of it. So with mixture E85 you have less mileage, it is normal. But on my jaguar XJ40 (1995) with 4,0 L engine (6 cylinders ) I put a kit, the mileage was a little less, very little, and I drive very very fast .... !
I think that between 1992 and 2000 you do not need a kit E85, after the software is more successful, more delicate to adjust and a kit becomes necessary.

Interesting thought about the pre-2000 year models computer controls being able to handle e-85 because they are less sophisticated. I hadn't really given that much thought, That still begs the question about e-85 being corrosive to magnesium, rubber, and aluminum components of the fuel system. That argument should be even more valid on an older fuel system. I found the Youtube video refreshing on that topic alone. It makes you wonder who to believe.

I have not run a complete fill-up of e-85 in the Buick to see where the threshold might be for the check engine light. I don't want to damage the car, but some progressive experimentation is fine, My brother told me recently that he's started using pure e-85 in his Dodge and says it's working okay so far. We've been doing this experimenting for a couple of months now.

Has anyone run e-85 in their vortec 5.7 Silverado? I am definitely willing to give it a try unless I hear a horror story about it.

Thanks
2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL
2001 GMC Sierra SLE ext cab 2wd
To date: 89 vehicles and counting!