Power Steering Pump Noise

Is there a service bulletin on replacing power steering pumps or its components in up to 2006 model trucks due to whining noise? This noise varies in intensity, and it comes and goes. It does not affect the steering in any way.

Somebody mentioned a flow control valve inside the pump causing this.

I've had a whining noise for almost two years, primarily when turning to the left at low speeds. It hasn't significantly affected the steering performance and otherwise the pump works fine. At this point, I've decided to wait for the pump to totally fail vs. pulling it to replace the actuator valve.

I've had a whining noise for almost two years, primarily when turning to the left at low speeds. It hasn't significantly affected the steering performance and otherwise the pump works fine. At this point, I've decided to wait for the pump to totally fail vs. pulling it to replace the actuator valve.

My truck is still under warranty and if this is known issue, then they should perhaps replace the whole pump? How hard is it to replace just the valve and what is the cost of the part?

My truck makes only very faint whining noise now and then but it can get worse as time goes on so I would like to take care of it under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a high pitched squeel myself and I assume it is related to the pump since it happens when turning left. I've been driving with the windows up, A/C on, and radio on mostly and haven't been able to consistently hear the noise. Is it on its way out? Is there an easy fix that will prevent complete failure of the pump?

My 04 Crew had a very noisy power steering pump from day one. My selling dealer was clueless and replaced an alternator. No fixy. So I went to a dealer in a neighboring county. They ordered and replaced the PS pump. It was the culprit, so GM will replace a PS pump that is noisy, or at least they did mine. Also, I have discovered that the Valvoline Max Life power steering fluid (available at Wally World) has made my current ps pump even quieter. Might want to give that a try too.

vroten :shakehead:

My '04 Crew makes noise on left turns at slow speeds as well. I took mine into the dealer and they "couldn't hear it". I figure I'll make another try at it right before my warranty expires in a few months. It's been happening for about a year now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brand new 2007 Silverado with 2000 miles and I have a dog whistle like noise just off idle up throught the rpm range. I took it to the dealer and they said it's a known issue, but no fix. In fact there is guidance that dictates that the dealership is NOT to replace the steering gear. (which they say is causing the noise) Big disapointment since this seems to have been a problem in prior models and they still have no solution.

• 4 months later...
I have a brand new 2007 Silverado with 2000 miles and I have a dog whistle like noise just off idle up throught the rpm range. I took it to the dealer and they said it's a known issue, but no fix. In fact there is guidance that dictates that the dealership is NOT to replace the steering gear. (which they say is causing the noise) Big disapointment since this seems to have been a problem in prior models and they still have no solution.

I JUST discovered the same thing on my truck. I am taking the truck in tomorrow to have them look at it. It is really really aggrevating when it whistles at cruising speed!!

This is what GM has sent to its dealers:

Document ID# 1875699

2006 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Subject:Power Steering Whine Noise - keywords fluid gear hose idle pump turn #PIT4208 - (12/04/2006)

Models:2003-2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2003-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali

2003-2007 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some owners may comment on a power steering pump whine noise. This whine noise is most commonly heard between idle and 2000 rpm coming from the power steering pump.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Reports of flushing and refilling the power steering system with Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid have reduced or eliminated this noise. Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid is a synthetic fluid and is available at most auto parts stores in quart size containers. In most case 3 or 4 quarts will be needed to flush and fill the system.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

If that is what you would call a repair......

This is what GM has sent to its dealers:

Document ID# 1875699

2006 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Subject:Power Steering Whine Noise - keywords fluid gear hose idle pump turn #PIT4208 - (12/04/2006)

Models:2003-2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2003-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali

2003-2007 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some owners may comment on a power steering pump whine noise. This whine noise is most commonly heard between idle and 2000 rpm coming from the power steering pump.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Reports of flushing and refilling the power steering system with Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid have reduced or eliminated this noise. Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid is a synthetic fluid and is available at most auto parts stores in quart size containers. In most case 3 or 4 quarts will be needed to flush and fill the system.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

If that is what you would call a repair......

Thanks---I looked on NHTSA's website that lists the TSBs and I didn't see this one. Thanks for the information!!

Here is some updated information for the 07s,

Document ID# 1974648

2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Power Steering High Pitched Whistle Noise Heard in Any Gear with Vehicle Warm (No Fix Available at This Time) #06-02-32-010A - (05/22/2007)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Silverado 1500, Tahoe

2007 GMC Sierra 1500, Yukon, Yukon XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised because a new fix is being developed. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-010 (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition Some customers may comment on a high-pitched whistle noise. This noise occurs just off idle in any gear with the vehicle warm. It can best be heard when seated in the vehicle, with the windows up, and the radio and HVAC off. The noise will be a very low amplitude (low volume level) and very high frequency (similar to a dog whistle). Cause The source of the noise described above is internal to the steering gear. Engineering is currently investigating the cause of this noise and working to develop a correction. Correction No correction is available at this time. DO NOT replace the steering gear in an attempt to correct this correction. This bulletin will be revised when a fix becomes available.

Archived