Photo
- - - - -

Leveling Kit/gas Mileage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 knotslip

knotslip

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

I was planning to put a leveling kit on my new 07 NBS crew cab and someone told me that raising the front 2" would negatively impact my gas mileage...
Is this true? Anyone installed a leveling kit that has or hasn't noticed a difference in mileage? He said it affected the aerodynamics of the truck. It makes sense, but is the decrease in mileage really that noticeable? This same person told me that they lost gas mileage when they put a hard cover on their truck - pretty much everyone says that they see improved mileage with the covers on.

Thanks.
Kevin
-------------------------------------------------------
2007 Sierra SLT Crew Cab Z71 with 6.0 Liter V-Max
Upgrades :
Window tint

Planned :
Bed liner -> Bed-rug or Line-X
Hard tonnaeu cover
CORSA Sport dual exit exhaust
CAI
Step rails
PCM tune or handheld DiabloSport
2" front leveling kit

33" tires

Pic to be added soon...

#2 azchevy

azchevy

Enthusiast

• 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

I was planning to put a leveling kit on my new 07 NBS crew cab and someone told me that raising the front 2" would negatively impact my gas mileage...
Is this true? Anyone installed a leveling kit that has or hasn't noticed a difference in mileage? He said it affected the aerodynamics of the truck. It makes sense, but is the decrease in mileage really that noticeable? This same person told me that they lost gas mileage when they put a hard cover on their truck - pretty much everyone says that they see improved mileage with the covers on.

Thanks.

I would say no to just the lift. Yes if you put on bigger tires

#3 04z71steve

04z71steve

Enthusiast

• 581 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

i second that ^ i leveled out my rado and found zero change... i'm pretty sure it all depends on if u get a bigger tire size...
Posted Image

mods: cobra radar detector, midland cb, ss grill guard, ss nerf bars, geolander at+II's,lebra bed cover with custom lighting
tb crank, 10" Alpine type R, with 800 watt RF amp, 17" navibe gps, camo z71 stick, custom grill lights...
04 15oo z71 silverado extended cab
02! lt autride suburban
04 gmc safari
07 chevy express 2500
all american!!!

#4 Air Biscuit

Air Biscuit

Enthusiast

• 70 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

Thanks.

Haven't done the levelling kit but do have a hard cover. I didn't notice any improvement/decrease in mileage but it does drive better at highway speed. I could feel the wind resistance of that big empty bed back there when going 70-80 mph. With the hard cover, it was smoother and and seemd a 'little' more responsive. This is a half-ton with 5.3 so folks with a 6.0, 8.1 or duramax might not notice any difference at all. I wasn't looking for mileage improvments...just wanted to keep my stuff dry.

Interesting to note that I could definitely feel a difference driving with the hard cover closed but the tail gate open...felt like I was towing a small trailer. I assume it buggered up the aerodynamics???
White '02 Sierra 4X4 extended cab, 5.3, 4.10s, K&N flat panel, Nokian Vatiiva A/T LT 265s, Rhinoliner, Westers tune, and some other stuff.

#5 04z71steve

04z71steve

Enthusiast

• 581 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

there was some major swirl action goin on behind ur truck... aerodynamics are crazy!
Posted Image

mods: cobra radar detector, midland cb, ss grill guard, ss nerf bars, geolander at+II's,lebra bed cover with custom lighting
tb crank, 10" Alpine type R, with 800 watt RF amp, 17" navibe gps, camo z71 stick, custom grill lights...
02! lt autride suburban
04 gmc safari
07 chevy express 2500
all american!!!

#6 Idaho Denali

Idaho Denali

Enthusiast

• 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

Myth Busters did a peice on this a while back. Best milage is no cover and tail gate up. Who'd thunk.
08 Sierra Denali
98 Chevy 4x4 std cab short box

#7 Triki Dick

Triki Dick

Enthusiast

• 329 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

Myth Busters did a peice on this a while back. Best milage is no cover and tail gate up. Who'd thunk.

I thought it was the best because all the trash in the back of your truck gets picked up by the currents and left on the side of the road. Thus for, decreasing the weight of your truck!

Posted Image

#8 steppetoe

steppetoe

Enthusiast

• 140 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Not exactly;"Again using a calibrated fuel flow gauge, Adam and Jamie proved that the mesh was the most efficient way to configure a pickup truck."
07 NBS Sierra 1500SLE 4X4, extended cab, 5.3. Fabtech 2" levelling kit.

#9 bamabrock

bamabrock

Enthusiast

• 45 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

What kit are yall using?

#10 GaderX

GaderX

Enthusiast

• 53 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I put the spacers in and didnt notice any change.

#11 04z71steve

04z71steve

Enthusiast

• 581 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

i have a z71 so i just turned up my tb's a little bit

steve :flag:
Posted Image

02! lt autride suburban
04 gmc safari
07 chevy express 2500
all american!!!

#12 krww06

krww06

Enthusiast

• 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:21 PM

What kit are yall using?

I have the Rancho RS-999785 and have yet to notice a decrease in gas mileage.