Leveling Kit/gas Mileage

I was planning to put a leveling kit on my new 07 NBS crew cab and someone told me that raising the front 2" would negatively impact my gas mileage...

Is this true? Anyone installed a leveling kit that has or hasn't noticed a difference in mileage? He said it affected the aerodynamics of the truck. It makes sense, but is the decrease in mileage really that noticeable? This same person told me that they lost gas mileage when they put a hard cover on their truck - pretty much everyone says that they see improved mileage with the covers on.

Thanks.

I was planning to put a leveling kit on my new 07 NBS crew cab and someone told me that raising the front 2" would negatively impact my gas mileage...

Is this true? Anyone installed a leveling kit that has or hasn't noticed a difference in mileage? He said it affected the aerodynamics of the truck. It makes sense, but is the decrease in mileage really that noticeable? This same person told me that they lost gas mileage when they put a hard cover on their truck - pretty much everyone says that they see improved mileage with the covers on.

Thanks.

I would say no to just the lift. Yes if you put on bigger tires

Thanks.

Haven't done the levelling kit but do have a hard cover. I didn't notice any improvement/decrease in mileage but it does drive better at highway speed. I could feel the wind resistance of that big empty bed back there when going 70-80 mph. With the hard cover, it was smoother and and seemd a 'little' more responsive. This is a half-ton with 5.3 so folks with a 6.0, 8.1 or duramax might not notice any difference at all. I wasn't looking for mileage improvments...just wanted to keep my stuff dry.

Interesting to note that I could definitely feel a difference driving with the hard cover closed but the tail gate open...felt like I was towing a small trailer. I assume it buggered up the aerodynamics???

Myth Busters did a peice on this a while back. Best milage is no cover and tail gate up. Who'd thunk.

I thought it was the best because all the trash in the back of your truck gets picked up by the currents and left on the side of the road. Thus for, decreasing the weight of your truck!

Myth Busters did a peice on this a while back. Best milage is no cover and tail gate up. Who'd thunk.
Not exactly;"Again using a calibrated fuel flow gauge, Adam and Jamie proved that the mesh was the most efficient way to configure a pickup truck."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived