Photo
- - - - -

Broken Tailgate Latch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 teambell

teambell

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

Yanked too hard and now it will not release, the handle is just floating with no connection to anything.

Where is the best place to get a replacement part?
Are there any issues on the replacement procedure?

Also, it is now in the closed position, the reason I could not open was I got some smooth wire stuck in the bottom of the tailgate when I was doing fence work and I was trying to yank it open because it was stuck. there is no fouling in the sides of the tailgate and none around the actual tailgate latches on the side, just in the crack at the bottom of the tailgate.

Thanks!

#2 Hoopster

Hoopster

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

This happened to me too. A friend closed the tailgate by pulling the handle as he lifted the gate. Broke something and the gate wouldn't open. My mechanic fixed it for $80 after I cut away the Rhino lining over the bolts.

#3 luthor

luthor

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

my brothers' gmc tailgate handle was broken, he took the car to a mechanic and was able to fixed it. so better bring it to a mechanic and have it fixed. good luck.

#4 teambell

teambell

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Bought replacement tailgate handle at Dealer ($37) and took off the three bolts on the bed side of the tailgate. The rods for each side are removed from the old handle and the new handle goes into place. Be careful with the plastic insert for the entire recessed area, it has tabs on the bottom that will break off if you aren't careful removing it.

The whole thing took 10 minutes.

:thumbs:

#5 Dans Denali

Dans Denali

Enthusiast

• 173 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:54 PM

Same here and I fixed it for two bucks, pull the plastic trim piece around the handle and you can see the little plastic clips that jold the rods to the handle, replace the broken one from the outside and your done in 10 minutes.

Dan
5 time Suburban/Yukon owner. 2003 Yukon Denali XL, 2002 Denali pickup.

#6 xler8ion

xler8ion

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

Same here and I fixed it for two bucks, pull the plastic trim piece around the handle and you can see the little plastic clips that jold the rods to the handle, replace the broken one from the outside and your done in 10 minutes.

Dan

I have one clip broke at the present. Is there anywhere I can obtain just the clips to replace the broken one. DD you said you fixed yours for two bucks. Where did you get the clip???

#7 xler8ion

xler8ion

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

<br />

Same here and I fixed it for two bucks, pull the plastic trim piece around the handle and you can see the little plastic clips that jold the rods to the handle, replace the broken one from the outside and your done in 10 minutes.<br /><br />Dan

<br /><br />I have one clip broke at the present. Is there anywhere I can obtain just the clips to replace the broken one. DD you said you fixed yours for two bucks. Where did you get the clip???<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Anyone?

#8 Nappers

Nappers

Enthusiast

• 111 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

I find my local hardware store such as Ace hardware pretty handy with clips, may want to try Schmucks/Kragen auto with their "HELP" packaged stuff.

Good luck.

Aaron
A CNN reporter asked a young Maring Sniper: "what do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?" He replied "Recoil." - Thank you soldiers!

#9 xler8ion

xler8ion

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

Thanks. I got one from a commercial mech.. He told me that GM is now selling these but they buy them in packs of five left and right separately. He did not know if they were sold individually. Hope this helps the next person.

#10 Dans Denali

Dans Denali

Enthusiast

• 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

Thanks. I got one from a commercial mech.. He told me that GM is now selling these but they buy them in packs of five left and right separately. He did not know if they were sold individually. Hope this helps the next person.

I got my new clip at the GMC dealer.

Dan
5 time Suburban/Yukon owner. 2003 Yukon Denali XL, 2002 Denali pickup.