Auxiliary Gas Tank

I go on a lot of road trips and tow a trailer quite often which eats up the 26 gallons of gas pretty quickly. I would like to be able to travel farther on a single tank of gas. I've been looking online for larger gas tanks but I cannot find anything that will fit a 1500HD, so I am going to have to use an auxiliary gas tank.

From my research, it looks like I can add an auxiliary gas tank to the bed of my truck and have that dump right into my main gas tank as it empties. It would be something like this: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/faq/faq...rog=1?=en

I would prefer to use gravity to fill my main tank because then I wouldn't have to run wires for a fuel pump and then add another switch to my dash. With using gravity everything would just be automatic. I could just fill the auxiliary tank which would fill the main tank as well. I wouldnt even need to open the gas cap to my main tank anymore. When the gas guage starts to go down I will know I have 26 gallons of fuel left. The fuel cap is non-vented in my truck, correct?

Before I start this project I want to make sure this is legal. My truck is registered in Texas. Am I allowed to have an auxiliary tank feed my main tank while my truck is moving? What do I have to do to make sure this is legal. Any links to where I could find this out would be very helpful.

Next I need to find a tank that will work. This tank looks like it will fit under my toolbox: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...06747_200306747

The extra 37 gallons will surely help, but what do I need to do to hook everything up? I see the tank has a filler neck, but how does the gas come out of it? How would I make this work? Could I just drill a hole in the bottom and plumb that into the filler neck on my main gas tank? I want this to be done smoothly and safely, so any suggestions are welcome. I don't want my truck to burst into flames or kill myself or others if something goes wrong.

So has anyone done something like this? Will it work? Is it legal? Can it be done safely?

Thanks for the help!

-Nick

2001 1500HD 4x4

The diesel rated stuff is not rated for EPA emissions for gasoline and is not DOT certified for gasoline. Transferflow is the only outfit I know that makes a much larger stock replacement tank for the stinking 26 gallon tank but it's very pricey.

DEWFPO

I've looked at Transferflow in the past but I cannot justify the price and they do not make a tank for my truck. Transferflow does not make a tank for the 1500HD (2500 non-HD) trucks. If I remember correctly, the 2500HD and 3500 trucks have a frame that is two inches taller to make room for the allison transmission.

Does anyone know if lord dogbert is still around. When doing research I found that he did something very similar. I was hoping he could chime in on the subject.

Thanks for the comments guys!

-Nick

01 1500HD 4x4

• 9 months later...

What did you decide to do? Been trying to figure out this same topic for my rig - I too am in TX - towing the TT sucks the gas down pretty good...

Looking at the tank - it appears ok for gasoline - just not transferring it between vehicles. I suspect that's due to grounding issues. I am considering doing the same & mounting this under my existing cross-rail toolbox. I have to check to see if I can figure out how to access the supply/return fittings, either by offsetting the tank to the left, or worst case holesaw into the bottom of my toolbox and feed the lines. Since the supply is top mount (with pickup tube?), I am thinking a $40 electric fuel pump from AutoZone will do nicely. I think I'm gonna go check it out at Northern tool - and maybe see if there's any further info on that install kit.

So I went by Northern Tool - and great news. The RDS boxes can in fact be used with gasoline - except in CA. All you gotta do is call RDS and request a different plate. The ones that are on them are marked 'Diesel Fuel Only', but I guess that's just cause that's the more popular market. According to the Northern Tool rep I talked to (and the buyer for the RDS product) - the phone call gets you a new plate and makes ya legit for gas. Cheaper than the Transfer Flow, and more options. Not for sure whether I'm gonna do the 37 gal tank and the crossover box, or the combo box. Trying to figure out if I want more gas or more storage. Still not overjoyed that it will be $800 - but that's better than $1500.

Here's the choices:

1. Basic Tank + CrossOver Box = $399 + $349
  2. ComboBox = $599

Install kit needed for either option, so it's a wash. Option 2 I gotta find a new place for my 8 gallon air tank though...

Archived