Programming Remote Start Key Fob's

blackbay2005

Question

My truck has the remote start ready feature.

RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles Remote Start / Power Lock Upgrade

Compatible only w/ RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles for Remote Start/ Power Lock Upgrade. Kit contains two transmitters and vehicle label. VCI programming required to upgrade Remote Start system. Remote style varies by vehicle. Remote for illustration purposes only.

This is what I want and the price seems reasonable.

HOWEVER, The Dealer tells me it will take 2 hours to program the computer :) ==$160 bucks plus tax.

Plus, they tell me that this would be the first vehicle they have done, which is sort of scary.

Why would this take so long to do??

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice :chevy:

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand, you have to reprogram the BCM and RCDLR with a code that techline give you. The codes are unique to each vehicle and can't be generated immediately. It takes a little while for techline to produce the code. Along with the required Tech-II with CAN module. Any tech that has called techline knows it is never a quick 5 minute phone call, you can count on at least 20-30 minutes on the phone, then having to program the truck.

Two hours to program the factory autostart seems a little excessive, but their tech might not be the quickest either...

Programming with a Tech-2 tool should not take more than 15 minutes.

What do you mean by the "kit"? If the dealer is going to install a part in to the truck, they might included the installaion time too.

I got a price on the GM part# for the auto start (not from the dealer.)

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=17801236&partnumber=17801236

The dealer would only do the programing!

ARE YOU PEOPLE SO LAZY THAT YOU CANNOT TURN THE KEY YOURSELF???

ADDING FACTORY REMOTE START IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS PROGRAMMING REMOTES/ YOU MUST REPROGRAM THE BCM AND RCDLR THIS TAKES TIME AND CANNOT BE DONE BY ANYONE WITHOUT TECHLINE TERMINAL AND TECH 2 W/CAN MODULE.. BALLS UP AND PAY NOW FOR WHAT YOU DID NOT PAY FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE..

lol I know this is an old thread, but it cracks me up. So much mis-info being given and opinions given by people who obviously have no clue.

Easy there chief. I'm sure you've been "mis-informed" before yourself. Sounds like somebodies head is getting too big..... :thumbs:

ARE YOU PEOPLE SO LAZY THAT YOU CANNOT TURN THE KEY YOURSELF???

ADDING FACTORY REMOTE START IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS PROGRAMMING REMOTES/ YOU MUST REPROGRAM THE BCM AND RCDLR THIS TAKES TIME AND CANNOT BE DONE BY ANYONE WITHOUT TECHLINE TERMINAL AND TECH 2 W/CAN MODULE.. BALLS UP AND PAY NOW FOR WHAT YOU DID NOT PAY FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE..

Me? Lazy?

No sir.

You? Lazy?

Yes.

caps_lock.jpg

Indeed I have, but If I dont know about something I try and not comment to avoid the risk of looking foolish. I wasnt talking about your post either, you obviously were spot on with the $50 charge if you dont have the verification code from the paperwork of the remote start package.

Indeed I have, but If I dont know about something I try and not comment to avoid the risk of looking foolish. I wasnt talking about your post either, you obviously were spot on with the $50 charge if you dont have the verification code from the paperwork of the remote start package.

While I agree with that statement I think most people here just genuinely want to help, that's all. Throwing shit comments out there isn't going to help anything, and that's all that I ment. It certainly doesn't add to the already

heavily tarnished public outlook on GM dealership tech's as it is, ya know? And I wasn't saying that you were talking about my post. :thumbs:

Here is the instructions for the remote keyless entry (not starter)

I just bought one from www.carandtruckremotes.com (shipped to me $22.24) For 2002 -2006 models

1 Close doors

2 Insert the key into the ignition

3 Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the drivers door panel- continue to hold down until instructed to release.

4.perfrom steps 5 thought 8 fairly rapid succession.

5.Turn the ignition ON position (as far as you can go without starting the engine)

6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position

7. Turn the ignition to the ON position

8. Turn the ignition switch to the OF position.

9. Release the power Unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock the doors automatically.

10.Hold Down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the Transmitter simultaneously until the door locks and unlocks. This step may take up to 30 seconds.

11. Repeat the previous step for additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

12 Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

No Charge, gift from me to everyone on the forum ;-)

Is this for all models? I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada and was wondering if anyone thought this should work with it as well.

I should specify that the price of the kit is $161 and the programming is separate ( 2 hrs labor )

Total would be around $370.00

Uhmm......Yea, that sounds like BS. Check somewhere else.

I have done this upgrade before... It does take over an hour(computers like to be slow, tech2 likes to be un cooperative, RCDLR programming requires you to relearn the tire monitor information/location as well as the key fobs, and techline likes to put you on hold/sometimes telling you they will have to call you back later) and not included in that price is a 50 dollar charge for the VCI number from Techline thats automaticaly billed to the dealer. The rest of the time is most likely compensating for that.

Holding the unlock and turning the key method only stoped working on most trucks in 2005/2006(should work in that Bravada though, because it works on my S-10) as far as I can remember and not all trucks have the option to learn them in the DIC.

Archived